Getting Flying Time

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
So, I'm sure this topic has been covered before on the forums, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say on this:

How do you get/have you gotten inexpensive or free flying time without a commercial license? Obviously, the simplest way to obtain flying time is to get a good job and buy it all yourself, but that's no fun, and can get really costly really quickly. So, what would be the best way to go about doing this? Hang out at the local FBO? Work towards a towplane rating? Are there any ways to legally bend the FAR's and fly people without having to pay? Most importantly, what have your experiences been with getting flying time?

So, I'm sure this topic has been covered before on the forums, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say on this:

How do you get/have you gotten inexpensive or free flying time without a commercial license? Obviously, the simplest way to obtain flying time is to get a good job and buy it all yourself, but that's no fun, and can get really costly really quickly. So, what would be the best way to go about doing this? Hang out at the local FBO? Work towards a towplane rating? Are there any ways to legally bend the FAR's and fly people without having to pay? Most importantly, what have your experiences been with getting flying time?

Rich friends? Find an older female pilot who is also lonely....

You still have to get 100 hours pic to tow gliders, part 61.69

Maybe work out a deal with someone? If you have friends with airplanes, maybe they need a service you can provide in exchange for the use of their aircraft??

And write off the small stuff either, Taylorcrafts, cubs, and the older 65hp stuff sip gas at about 4gph, if you're just building time you cares if your going 150 knots at 10+gph or 80 knots at 4gph, your checkbook will appreciate it.

And write off the small stuff either, Taylorcrafts, cubs, and the older 65hp stuff sip gas at about 4gph, if you're just building time you cares if your going 150 knots at 10+gph or 80 knots at 4gph, your checkbook will appreciate it.

Ditto that. I'm "babysitting" a Jabiru for a client who's wintering in Florida, and wants the plane flown weekly. When throttled back it gets down under 3 gph. My son needs PIC time, so he's taking me for looong rides with each stop at least 51 nm from the last stop. Cheapest flying he'll ever enjoy!

Are there any ways to legally bend the FAR's and fly people without having to pay? Most importantly, what have your experiences been with getting flying time?

What has worked for me:

1. Finding someone with an airplane that is getting little use (in my case, the Luscombe) and working out a reasonable deal on offsetting expenses.

2. Finding folks that want to sightsee or $100 burger or go to a fly-in that will share expenses on a rental or club airplane or even my own. The main thing here is, like most things, you have to promote this, i.e. talk to lots of folks.

I am not interested in bending or breaking the FARs to pay nothing. I am more than willing to pay my share, especially since I am the one getting the PIC time. I always let the right-seater do most of the enroute flying, if they want to. Is that bending the FARs? Don't know. Similarly, I think you should at least be willing to pay gas and some offset against the owner's expenses if you are using someone else's airplane as you please.

Last edited:
What has worked for me:
I am not interested in bending or breaking the FARs to pay nothing. I am more than willing to pay my share, especially since I am the one getting the PIC time. I always let the right-seater do most of the enroute flying, if they want to. Is that bending the FARs? Don't know. Similarly, I think you should at least be willing to pay gas and some offset against the owner's expenses if you are using someone else's airplane as you please.

I'm definitely willing to pay for flight time; when I said "bending the FAR's that's not really what I meant, I more meant loopholes or lesser-known FAR's like towplane operator or such that would allow a non-commercial pilot to provide services for free; or would you technically be able to sell aerial photography that you take? Assuming nobody else is onboard taking the photos? I certainly don't want to break the FAR's, unless it involves my parents paying for flight time; that's about as far as I'll go... no pun intended.

I'm definitely willing to pay for flight time; when I said "bending the FAR's that's not really what I meant, I more meant loopholes or lesser-known FAR's like towplane operator or such that would allow a non-commercial pilot to provide services for free; or would you technically be able to sell aerial photography that you take? Assuming nobody else is onboard taking the photos? I certainly don't want to break the FAR's, unless it involves my parents paying for flight time; that's about as far as I'll go... no pun intended.

Ahh, I get ya. Don't know of much of that myself. I will tell you that trying to take good pictures (or any pictures) while flying solo is probably not a good idea if you are going to be holding the camera. Or even if not. Google "moose stall".

How about volunteering to be a safety pilot for someone practicing IFR approaches? You can log the time the other person is under the hood if you are the PIC for the flight. Not really quality time since you're not flying, but if you just want to add hours to your log book.

That reminds me of a flyer I saw at the airport from a pilot looking for another pilot to act as safety pilot for him. He wanted someone who would be safety pilot and share the rental expenses. I was thinking I wouldn't mind being someone's safety pilot while they practiced approaches, but I'm not going to pay half of the gas/rental to sit and watch for traffic even if I can log the hours. I guess I don't care about hours that much but would anyone take him up on this offer?

How about volunteering to be a safety pilot for someone practicing IFR approaches? You can log the time the other person is under the hood if you are the PIC for the flight. Not really quality time since you're not flying, but if you just want to add hours to your log book.

That reminds me of a flyer I saw at the airport from a pilot looking for another pilot to act as safety pilot for him. He wanted someone who would be safety pilot and share the rental expenses. I was thinking I wouldn't mind being someone's safety pilot while they practiced approaches, but I'm not going to pay half of the gas/rental to sit and watch for traffic even if I can log the hours. I guess I don't care about hours that much but would anyone take him up on this offer?

I would if it's a $80 152, and I'm paying 40/hr. just to be in the air. Much more than that, maybe not...

Volunteer flying with a group that reimburses some expenses: Wings of mercy comes to mind, there might be others. Civil air patrol doing O-rides and such, don't need a commercial to do that, but you need a few hours to get started. Cheap airplanes to operate is a good idea.

I would if it's a $80 152, and I'm paying 40/hr. just to be in the air. Much more than that, maybe not...

Remember that to log that time you must be the legal PIC, meaning that you can be PIC under the insurance, club/FBO rules, etc. In my club you can be my safety pilot but you cannot be PIC from the right seat unless you are a club CFI.

That said, no way you should be paying to be someone's safety pilot. They should be buying you lunch.

Volunteer flying with a group that reimburses some expenses: Wings of mercy comes to mind, there might be others. Civil air patrol doing O-rides and such, don't need a commercial to do that, but you need a few hours to get started. Cheap airplanes to operate is a good idea.

Something like Wings of Mercy requires 600hrs. of flight time, plus instrument rating; I might as well have my commercial at that point. And I may be wrong, but CAP seems to be a pretty big time commitment of dressing up and going to functions and volunteering around the base just to have a chance at flying for them; don't get me wrong, I don't have anything wrong with working or volunteering to get flight time, but I'm not willing to essentially start another extracurricular activity just to get a few hours at the controls.

Something like Wings of Mercy requires 600hrs. of flight time, plus instrument rating; I might as well have my commercial at that point. And I may be wrong, but CAP seems to be a pretty big time commitment of dressing up and going to functions and volunteering around the base just to have a chance at flying for them; don't get me wrong, I don't have anything wrong with working or volunteering to get flight time, but I'm not willing to essentially start another extracurricular activity just to get a few hours at the controls.
When I flew with WOM I don't remember having that time requirement, but if that is how they are doing it then maybe its not a good option for you. I didn't know you didn't have an instrument rating I must have missed that. I fly quite often with cap, and really I could fly a lot more if I really wanted to, but I just don't have the time. It does take some time commitment at the front end to get started and get through some of there training before people start calling you to fly on a regular basis. But with all that said if you are not interested, then both my ideas are moot. Good luck to ya.

When I flew with WOM I don't remember having that time requirement, but if that is how they are doing it then maybe its not a good option for you. I didn't know you didn't have an instrument rating I must have missed that. I fly quite often with cap, and really I could fly a lot more if I really wanted to, but I just don't have the time. It does take some time commitment at the front end to get started and get through some of there training before people start calling you to fly on a regular basis. But with all that said if you are not interested, then both my ideas are moot. Good luck to ya.

Nope, just got my private, so looking to get some time without all the blows to the budget, but no instrument rating. Does CAP require that to fly? Also, I'm at about 55 hrs right now, so that would put a damper on some things. I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with the CAP though. I'd maybe consider doing something like that when I get more time on my hands.

Nope, just got my private, so looking to get some time without all the blows to the budget, but no instrument rating. Does CAP require that to fly? Also, I'm at about 55 hrs right now, so that would put a damper on some things. I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with the CAP though. I'd maybe consider doing something like that when I get more time on my hands.
Without going into the politics of the organization, I have enjoyed my time in there. I am in a group with some really good guys that I enjoy flying with, I think that makes a difference. I am qualified in all their aircraft including the GA8, I am a instructor pilot, so that helps, but really the most hours flying here is o-rides for cadets and teachers. I have done 7-8 hours in a day before and thats not really enjoyable. Mission flying can get some time behind it, mostly training ex. Sometimes they will give us hours to use, but if we have to pay, the g-1000 182T is 35hr plus gas, so its not hateful.
All in all it takes time to get to know people, get through the checkrides, and learn the system. Its not for everbody, I really don't even go to meetings or do anything but fly. I think its 100hr for Transport pilot and 200 for Cadets O-rides. If you want to read all their regs you can read http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R060_001_132EEB0197465.pdf
Its all the regs for cap. It might not be for you! Good luck

Make friends with aircraft owners. I frequently fly with other pilots for nothing more than picking up some of the cost of the fuel. If it's a flight I'd be doing anyway (like a pilots n paws flight) I often will grab another pilot to come with me. On the flight with the dogs, I'm flying and they're in charge of making sure the dogs are fine. On the empty leg, I'll let them do the flying and I'll relax. Since I'm offering the flight, I cover all expenses and they'll get free flight time.

I basically did the same sort of thing when I was younger and looking for air time.

I also did lots of safety pilot flying (never paid a dime for acting as safety pilot), and sharing flights. Go up with another PP and each wear a hood for a leg of the flight. You'll both be able to log nearly all of the flight (minus takeoff and landings as SP) and spend half as much. I'd recommend getting some basic instrument flight instruction before doing so, so you don't reinforce bad habits while under the hood.

I waited till I had spare money and bought a plane....However, Knowing what I know now, if I could go back to being 20, I'd buy into a partnership on a 172/Cherokee or even a 150/152 and fly my ass off for the cost of fuel and a few bucks a month. I'd get out to the airport every weekend early to see if I could hook up with another pilot...get to know every pilot on your field and make it known I love to fly with them. Many will let you log the hours since they have plenty. If I couldn't find a partnership then I would keep my eyes pealed for an affordable plane old vfr bird that was stout and ugly and fly the hell out of it. Keep in mind:

1. Flying will never be cheaper than it is today. So don't wait till later to fly more.

2. Once you get 250 hrs you can become a CFI and get paid a paltry amount to get more flight time, even if only marginally to fly on weekends and evenings after your real day job.

3. With a commercial you can ferry planes for guys or just fly along with them to keep them safe when they recover their new purchased birds to their home drome.

Back