Getting Back

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I've got the 'Lane on 8 Nov. It will have been a month between flghts. At this point in my flying life, I don't feel that this will be a problem, but I wondered what you suggest for flight-skill lubricating in, say. a two-hour flight? I'm thinking six or seven T and Gs, slow flight and steep turns, and a couple of approaches if there's light IMC. If it is low IMC, I don't think I'd go. (Then again, for the time being, I would never launch when the whole area is at mins--just not enough options.)

Ben, it is not like you've been away for months. Don't psych yourself out, just be careful. Like you always are.

Good point. I think I actually deserve the one star this thing got!

wangmyers said:
I've got the 'Lane on 8 Nov. It will have been a month between flghts. At this point in my flying life, I don't feel that this will be a problem, but I wondered what you suggest for flight-skill lubricating in, say. a two-hour flight? I'm thinking six or seven T and Gs, slow flight and steep turns, and a couple of approaches if there's light IMC. If it is low IMC, I don't think I'd go. (Then again, for the time being, I would never launch when the whole area is at mins--just not enough options.)
What is the purpose of this flight? If it's simply familiarization, then some airwork straight from the PTS (Comm if you're up to it) mixed in with some max perf T.O. & L.

I don't know I would mix VFR airwork with IFR practice approaches on one flight. As you know it's all about rythym but VFR and IFR are two different tunes. You could do it but you may not be as focused as you like which would diminish the value of the lesson.

I might just reserve three hours, then.

wangmyers said:
I might just reserve three hours, then.
I've often reserved the plane for a block of time in which I may make multiple flights. Maybe the first flight will be remedial VFR airwork. After that, can be the same flight, I'll practice attitude flying by the numbers. (RPM/MP) After that, the flight will consist of flying those numbers on practice approaches. If you get uncomfortable or you wonder about something, you can interrupt the app, cancel and land or break off to go hold somewhere to think about it. If you want to log it take a safety pilot.

In all cases, you should have briefed yourself on what you want to accomplish on each flight--before the drive to the aprt. I have index cards made up for various flights. They present a written objective and dictate what each flight will entail. I attach them to my clipboard.

Make it fun and have fun. I learn the best when it's fun.

BTW: Where are the 'big guns' here to advise you? Ron, Ed, Dave....?

If it isn't IFR and you want to get in some hood work, let me know. See you at the concert.

wangmyers said:

Richard said:
I've often reserved the plane for a block of time in which I may make multiple flights. Maybe the first flight will be remedial VFR airwork. After that, can be the same flight, I'll practice attitude flying by the numbers. (RPM/MP) After that, the flight will consist of flying those numbers on practice approaches. If you get uncomfortable or you wonder about something, you can interrupt the app, cancel and land or break off to go hold somewhere to think about it. If you want to log it take a safety pilot.

In all cases, you should have briefed yourself on what you want to accomplish on each flight--before the drive to the aprt. I have index cards made up for various flights. They present a written objective and dictate what each flight will entail. I attach them to my clipboard.

Make it fun and have fun. I learn the best when it's fun.

BTW: Where are the 'big guns' here to advise you? Ron, Ed, Dave....?

Yeah,
Fun is good but don't discount a "good whoamp 'side the head" i.e. :

I was getting a little bored and unimpressed with some Mooney flying once after my IFR and the CFI just decided to snap-rock the wings fast enough to smack the cabin wall against my head ! I woke up and became smart.

Generally now though, after plenty of ratings and tests, it's more important to me to combine flight training and currency with a good break on the ground with some great entertainment at some nice landing spot.

mgkdrgn said:
If it isn't IFR and you want to get in some hood work, let me know. See you at the concert.
Oh, good--see you then!

Back