Getting Back Into Flying

JunkMD

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I got my PPL in 2006 and flew a few hours after that but never got to the comfort level I felt I needed, got frustrated and have not flow much since. I have missed it in a bad way and decided I was going to get current and got my medical and BFR out of the way and am now ready to go.

My concern is that even though I'm "legal", I realize I'm not safe. I want to be safe and proficient and then move on to instrument training.

What would you recommend to "blow off the dust" and re-learn the things I have not used in several years now? Should I just start over completely or should I just review some of my old things? Thank you in advance for all your help!

You'll probably get better advice from the CFIs on here than I can give, but if I were in your shoes I'd practice the usual pattern practice followed by taking trips to nearby airfields.

While it may seem redundant with the BFR you just took, I think practicing slow flight, stalls, steep turns, and such maneuvers would still be advisable.

Jim,

Thanks for the advice. So far, I've been flying with my former CFI and that is what he's saying as well. I appreciate that!

I'm a little concerned that your FR didn't blow the rust off since the CFI who gave it to you certified you were proficient in all the things you did together.

Strongly recommend you join www.faasafety.gov and enroll in the wings program. You can complete a basic phase with some online work and three flight "syllabi" which can be knocked out in a flight or two. You'll get a pin, a reset (again) on your FR clock, and thorough coverage of the fundamentals.

Then, take a few cross-country flights for fun!

I just went through this after an 8 year break. I did 3 flights with 3 different instructors (1at night) to get checked out in a couple of different 172's and get comfortable. It will take time to develop the fine motor skills, but you have shown excellent judgement already by asking the question.

Tim and N2124, Thanks for the responses! My CFI feels very good about my skills and has encouraged me to go ahead and get up there by myself. I guess I am lacking in the personal confidence, though. Thanks for the FAA Wings recommendation. I am already signed up so I should get on that and review. 2124, that's a good idea as well. I could get a few different CFIs to fly a few flights with me just to "cross-check" myself.

Thanks so much!

All three of my flights were different in very good ways. The first was just getting back into the air and flying again. The second went to some nearby by airports, did some crosswind landings, slow flight, etc. The third flight was a total trip. Night flying, about a quarter moon, a CFI who talked a whole lot, and a little airport with absolutely no lights around it.

I have been trying to get back up, but the weather, free time, and cash have not intersected.

I sure understand the difficulty with the "trifecta" myself!

Just do it!

No really. There is no replacement for hours flown solo. Start with what you are comfortable with and gradually expand your boundaries. Going to new airports solo is a big confidence booster

Find a few easy and close-by places to go, maybe for lunch or other leisure activity, and invite your CFI along as a passenger rather than an instructor. Do your own thing and see how it goes. If you need help, it will be obvious to both of you and he can help out. Otherwise, you'll (re)learn by doing and be able to self-evaluate without undue pressure.

I sure understand the difficulty with the "trifecta" myself!

welcome back! i can't imagine leaving - must have been hard.

Thanks for all the encouragement and words of wisdom! That's a good idea to maybe start with some touch and goes and then expand out. That's what I need more than anything-the confidence boost.

After a 30 year layoff, I have found that it just takes time to "get it back". Pattern work, short trips, slowly expanding the envelope seems to be working.

After a 30 year layoff, I have found that it just takes time to "get it back". Pattern work, short trips, slowly expanding the envelope seems to be working.

Wow, you should be commended after such a long layoff getting back to it!

Back