Getting an endorsement necessary?

Yoazuin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Yoazuin
I just finished a ground school course at my local community college and my teacher(Who is also also a flight instructor) asked me how he could get an endorsement for me. Well I'm not going to be starting actual flight lessons until this July, and don't know when I will be ready to take get my private pilot license.

What I am wondering is: Would it be of any benefit to ask him for an endorsement now. If so, would there be anything specific I should ask him for, and the endorsement would be for the written exam right?

Thanks.

If he is a flight instructor he should be able to answer your questions. If he can't -- find one who can -- because you don't want an endorsement from someone that doesn't understand what they're endorsing.

Just my opinion :)

I'm confused. Wouldn't part of the ground school syllabus include giving practice exams and endorsing people to take the written test?

If you read the endorsements for the written, there is one that says "I taught this student this stuff and he's ready" and another that says "This student studied on his own using a prepared course. I've reviewed his work and he's ready".

I'd expect the instructor for your course to be a ground or flight instructor, and either of them should know what endorsement to give you and be prepared to give it.

I'm confused. Wouldn't part of the ground school syllabus include giving practice exams and endorsing people to take the written test?

If you read the endorsements for the written, there is one that says "I taught this student this stuff and he's ready" and another that says "This student studied on his own using a prepared course. I've reviewed his work and he's ready".

I'd expect the instructor for your course to be a ground or flight instructor, and either of them should know what endorsement to give you and be prepared to give it.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is what it is. However I'm wondering if there's any point to receiving and endorsement now when I won't be taking the test or getting my private license for at least a few months to a year.

I just finished a ground school course at my local community college and my teacher(Who is also also a flight instructor) asked me how he could get an endorsement for me. Well I'm not going to be starting actual flight lessons until this July, and don't know when I will be ready to take get my private pilot license.

What I am wondering is: Would it be of any benefit to ask him for an endorsement now. If so, would there be anything specific I should ask him for, and the endorsement would be for the written exam right?

Thanks.

I'm confused, however if you just finished ground school you get signed off for and take the written to get it done.

They're good for two years, so it's not a bad idea to take the written while the material is still fresh.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is what it is. However I'm wondering if there's any point to receiving and endorsement now when I won't be taking the test or getting my private license for at least a few months to a year.
You should get an endorsement for the written test (you need one to be allowed to take the test). Then go ahead and take the test at your earliest convenience. If you wait too long you will forgets stuff and might not pass. Once you pass the test you've got two years to complete your flight training and pass a checkride (practical test). If for some reason you can't finish by then you can take a refresher and retake the written. I see no reason to put off the written exam unless you're certain that you won't be ready for a checkride two years after the written and even then you'll find it easier to take the written exam down the road if you pass one now while the material is fresh in your head.

I ended up taking the instrument written test twice after work issues got in the way of my flight training. For the second shot I just reviewed some video tapes and breezed through the test again.

Back