getting a license but older

Most of my training cohort when I started flying in my 20s were in their 60s, realizing their long term dreams. They were to a one excellent students and became skilled pilots I had no qualms flying with. It's never too late to learn. Even if a 3rd class medical is out of reach for some reason (it has to be a pretty major reason, really), sport pilot privileges should almost certainly be attainable. If you can get the first 3rd class medical, you can then transition to BasicMed which is much simpler and probably more thorough in some ways. Lots of options figure out how to fly.

Thanks for the positive comments. It would be easier decision if the new SP rule was already approved. It's an all or nothing game.

Thanks for the positive comments. It would be easier decision if the new SP rule was already approved. It's an all or nothing game.

I've been flying as a Sport Pilot for a number of years. You'll love it as you can add on endorsements and have most of the privleges of PPL without doing the FAA medical dance. I'm healthy enough to pass a medical but Sport gives me what I'm after without a lot of hassle. I don't have any desire to fly a single engine plane in the dark or the clouds. If I was a much younger man with a business things would be different but now I travel for pleasure when I have plenty of time and good weather to do so.

Go get your Sport Pilot Certificate and enjoy the sky. Soon enough the larger faster sport planes will be available. You'll thank us all later ... :smilewinkgrin:

It's an all or nothing game.

No, it’s not. Sport Pilot training will count toward Private, should you decide to do that later. In fact, I did that myself.

You risk nothing and lose nothing by getting a Sport ticket. If after a year or two you decide you want more, then go through the considerable hassle of getting the medical. Take a little more training and get Private.

Stop wringing your hands over this and get busy with Sport Pilot training. You have nothing to lose. Go fly!

Have wanted to get a private license for 20 years. Life and lack of funds got in the way. Now I am 69. Have been following subjects here. Kind of getting the idea that I have waited too long. Age may be an insurmountable roadblock, especially insurance. Talked to one flight school they were quite positive. Told them my age it didn't seem to bother them. The eventual goal is owning a plane possibly with a longtime friend. Is it even possible now?
I started at 57 because it was a life long dream and I needed a challenge. Absolutely go for it! Fly as often as you can and get different CFI's to fly with so you can get different perspectives. But get in there and do it!

Oh, yes. I am a 77-year-old CFI and have had a few student pilots older than I am. If this is your dream, know that we remember the things we don't do more than those things we do. Don't worry about the ownership deal until you have to... just learn to fly and have fun. You can rent and not worry about insurance, just buy renters insurance.

One guy I fly with often is older than I am, and can't get a medical certificate, but he loves to fly and goes up about two times a week. He does all the flying, and he's good at it, and I ride along to keep it legal.
Those are encouraging words! Twenty-three years ago when I was a 55 year-old private pilot in excellent health, I had to stopped flying. Now I'm a 78 year-old private pilot in excellent health, want to start flying again, and hope to buy an airplane in a couple of years and continue flying as long as I am medically fit. I'm progressing well on my aeronautical knowledge re-immersion plan, so once I have my medical in hand I'll launch my flight instruction plan and complete a Flight Review. I'll be approaching 79 by the time I complete my FR. I need to figure out how I'm going to get insured...

Those are encouraging words! Twenty-three years ago when I was a 55 year-old private pilot in excellent health, I had to stopped flying. Now I'm a 78 year-old private pilot in excellent health, want to start flying again, and hope to buy an airplane in a couple of years and continue flying as long as I am medically fit. I'm progressing well on my aeronautical knowledge re-immersion plan, so once I have my medical in hand I'll launch my flight instruction plan and complete a Flight Review. I'll be approaching 79 by the time I complete my FR. I need to figure out how I'm going to get insured...
Getting insurance may be the biggest challenge. I seem to recall that either EAA or AOPA was working on a way to insure older pilots. I am no longer an owner, but I do carry liability insurance for flying non-owned airplanes. I am a named insured on two policies for local owners. And of course, the school insurance covers me when I am flying our trainers. My business manager seems to think that as long as I am current and have a medical, there will be no problem.

Just to give an update. Listened to the suggestions. Went to an AME today without filling out the med form. He said I had several issues that will preclude me from passing a medical. The AME had several recommendations and I also contacted Dr Bruce. My personal Dr due to his wording on the last physical really messed me up. Such as marijuana use. He asked about it and I jokingly said yeah in high school everyone did. That was 50 years ago, but on the results page, he entered MJ use yes. Am thinking I am flocked before I even get started.
Not an aviation lawyer, but my understanding is if it's been at least a year since MJ then you're golden. Worth researching.

Not an aviation lawyer, but my understanding is if it's been at least a year since MJ then you're golden. Worth researching.

I'm not an aviation doc or lawyer but I think your advice is not correct ...

What were the issues your AME had. I am not an AME but would think smoking a joint 50 years ago should be a non issue. Doubt there are many that can say they never tried a joint in their youth. Many of our recent presidents have admitted to doing harder stuff. Going sport license to start off as others have suggested is always an option.

Last edited:
There are a couple problems. One was admitting MJ 50 years ago. When filling out the medxpress can't say no. My DR has it on record that I admitted to it. Other was a pooled estimation of a 14% chance of cardiac event in 10 years. Have no idea how he arrived at that number. Again, my DR didn't have to enter anything no heart problems and it doesn't run in the family. Think both can be overcome with a few tests but looks I will sit in the deferred line for a while. Have an appointment with Dr next week for an EKG. Then a heart CAT scan. I am a little ticked off. Will let him know that, totally unnecessary. The healthcare system seems to be set up with traps.

Am going to start a few flight lessons probably next week. Listened to the suggestions. Found an older CFI who trains part time and seems quite personable. Staying away from 20 YO time builders.

It's late but I do not think a 14 percent chance of a cardiac event without any history of cardiac issues or meds would qualify as a cardiac history, and if I remember correctly illegal substance was within the last two years. So the answers to both those questions I would think is no.

Back