Getting 107 License w/ A Weird Address IRCRA Won't Accept

TRH

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TRH
This is long - but basically it comes down to getting a license w/o a fixed residential address that the IACRA is going to accept.

-----

Ok - so I sold my condo in VA and I'm sitting in a hotel room in Las Vegas working on getting in my 30 days of continuous presence so I can establish residency in NV. On the 31st day I can go down and get my NV driver's license. I'm told by the NV DMV that my address in their database will be the hotel I was staying at on the 30th day.

So far so good.

As soon as I get that driver's license, I'm off for international travel doing the digital nomad thing for at least 6 months. I won't have an apartment or house in the US for at least that long.

Here's where it gets complicated. I passed the drone part 107 test today to get my license. IRCRA is insisting on a residential address and the hotel is coming up as a business address.

So, I'm rather stumped as to what I should put down. I don't want to lie to the govt and use a relative's address as my permeant address. One of the help pages says

"You must provide the FAA your Residential Address since it is required by law, if you don't have one, then provide a map to your home or written directions."

So, what would I put in the residential address fields - just leave them blank and put it the map directions "Go to the Vegas strip and walk down to the Mirage"? How suspicious is that going to look when DOT does their initial security check? I do have a mailing service here in Vegas so that's what goes under the mailing address. Is there a number I can call or a physical office I can go into to get this solved.

Anyone have any experience w/ students in the same boat?

I was in your situation before I got into flying and filed taxes with the IRS stating “itinerant- no fixed address”. I would hope the FAA could accommodate the same but you probably need to call Oklahoma City.

I would just use a relative for a permanent address. And direct your mail there and other things.

You do not have to live at your permanent address.

Back