Gettin ready to send another student to the FAA

PHXAvi8tor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PHXAvi8tor
We see lots of posts about students who are finally taking their checkrides.

Well, here's one from the opposite side of the fence: I just signed off a student for his final prog check, leading to his FAA checkride.

I, myself, feel like that same student. Excited. A few jitters, but confident we've covered all the bases, and that we're about to unleash another pilot into the great blue skies.

He'll be taking his progress check in the next 10 to 12 days, Wx and personal schedule permitting. Then, it's on to the FAA for the final checkride.

I think he'll do great. He's mastered all the PTS tasks, and beyond.

He has done it himself, in spite of me.

I just sat there in the right seat and talked a lot.

Maybe too much, at times.

NOTE: Cross-posted from the Red Board. I don't know why I cross-post, except I have friends on both boards who don't necessarily read each board. :)

The FAA is doing his private checkride?

In my experience, the key to a trainee's readiness is when s/he can get through a practice test without the instructor being required to say or do anything except what is to be done next (optional technique issues excepted).

awesome Ben, I still get excited when I send a student out for a checkride. I think there would be something wrong with us if we didnt.

In my experience, the key to a trainee's readiness is when s/he can get through a practice test without the instructor being required to say or do anything except what is to be done next (optional technique issues excepted).

Good, measurement technique.

I am heartened to know that is the basic technique I used to try to measure readiness for the checkride.

Given that he still has a prog check before the FAA checkride (and, yes, the FAA does the checkide -- in answer to a smart-aleck's question previously -- via DPEs and and Examiner if one is available), I offered a few scant tips here and there to help succeed with the checkride.

(and, yes, the FAA does the checkide -- in answer to a smart-aleck's question previously -- via DPEs and and Examiner if one is available)

How dare I ask an innocent question--I was curious. I never really considered a designated examiner the FAA. Kind of how I don't consider a CFI the FAA.

I was under the impression that for some reason your student had to take a checkride with someone that is on the FAA's payroll. I was just curious why...that is all??

Isn't an FAA checkride a whole lot cheaper than a ride with a DPE? I thought checkrides were part of an FAA examiner's job description, where a DPE is essentially a private contractor. My IR checkride cost me $400 with a DPE.

Isn't an FAA checkride a whole lot cheaper than a ride with a DPE? I thought checkrides were part of an FAA examiner's job description, where a DPE is essentially a private contractor. My IR checkride cost me $400 with a DPE.
Yes, taking a ride with the Feds is cheaper (free, to be exact), but hard to do. Due to workload issues, the FSDO's virtually ceased giving pilot examinations, leaving only the DPE's as a way to get your practical test. Also, DPE's are "Designated Pilot Examiners," not "contractors" of the the government (i.e., they have an authorization to give examinations, just as pilots have an authorization to act as required pilot crewmembers, and have no contractual relationship with the Government).

BTW, the FAA folks are "Inspectors," and the non-FAA folks are "Designated Examiners." There are also DME's for maintenance certificates, too, as well as Designated Engineering Representatives (DER's) for approval of design and alteration of aircraft and components.

Back