Gettin' Out of Town(KBXM)

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Working, May 30, the set-up for 2nd International Fly-In(June 2 and 3) at KBXM, the rain storm was reported in Auburn-Lewiston "and heading your way."
About the only a/c on the vast area of KBXM was a jet which climbed out.
That left the little Cub of well-known Maine pilot Lisa Reece who decided to get out of town, back to Wiscasset(10.2nm).

HR

(Before taxiing, she mused that "for all the open space here I could probably forget the runway and take off from the tarmac." From the runway19L the Cub was up and away very quickly.)

Attachments

• Lisa Reece_1.JPG
    Lisa Reece_1.JPG
    480 KB · Views: 6
  • Lisa Reece_2.JPG
    Lisa Reece_2.JPG
    493.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Lisa Reece_3.JPG
    Lisa Reece_3.JPG
    490.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Lisa Reece_4.JPG
    Lisa Reece_4.JPG
    429 KB · Views: 7
- - - and it got worse, though would have been fine if en route to Portland.

This morning I received the following e-mail from Lisa:
"Wow, cool...I was moving going back to KIWI, (can't remember the last time I flew that fast in the Cub)--so no problem running out the storm with my little airplane. It stayed relatively nice on the coast, although the clouds got a little lower and it got colder. Thanks for the pics...LISA"

HR

EDIT: Y'all come to the Fly-In. Last year we had nearly 300 planes visit during the one day. This year we hope for more during the two day event.

Attachments

• Lisa Reece_5.JPG
    Lisa Reece_5.JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 7
Today(May 31) we volunteers were continuing the set-up for the Saturday/Sunday International Fly-In. While I was placing laths on the barrels to which snow fence(security lines) would be attached I took notice of the one and only flyer on the vast floor of the former Naval Air Station. He didn't seem to mind my presence if I didn't get too close to his wings. My only camera at hand was my antique iPhone 3GS, but I figured what the heck! In the bright sun I couldn't see what I was composing because my face was reflecting from the screen. So I took my chances and when I was back in the cavernous Hangar 5 I was quite surprised with the result.

Hoping to see more than 300 planes this year; and yes, we're praying for the rain predictions to be wrong. The last three weekends have been the opposite of the weather prognosticators.

HR

Attachments

• KBXM Lone Flyer.jpg
    KBXM Lone Flyer.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 5
Back