Get a flu shot. Wash your hands.

i guess botulism makes them sleepy too. see mari there is a reason we don't have kids

Meanwhile, there are plenty of reasons why one might choose not to. Like with everything else, one should be educated and make his or her own decision. Interestingly, most of my friends who are opting not to get a flu shot are among the more educated and more intelligent of the folks I know.
Ted, you are intelligent but you lack the database.

So tell me, what is this thing you call "exercising the immune system" and why is the reaction to a vaccine any less "exercise"(whatever that is) that the real deal.

You have your opinion and people need to respect that. However, your logic is mostly a failure.

I think the flu is just one of those things that most folks just don't realize is quite as serious as it is until they've either had it or nursed someone through it.

Like I said earlier, I was a young, healthy, athletic teen-ager when I got a "relatively mild" case of the flu. I was strong as an ox, I was a varsity athlete, I ran five miles a day during the week, and 18 miles every Saturday.

But the flu knocked me right down. It knocked me down but good, too. Today, it would quite likely kill me. It's nothing to mess around with.

-Rich

Neither did I. I thought you put honey in with the rum so it would taste good and get the baby to fall asleep. :)

Use Rock and Rye, that is based on cane sugar and works just as well. Also the real stuff will have citrus fruit in it, so vitamin C!!!!

My dad used to give me that stuff whenever I was sick. To this day I like a shot of that when I don't feel well and it tastes better than Nyquil!

Wow, this has actually been quite an excellent discussion.

Having a fair bit of experience with this topic, I thought I'd chime in to reinforce a few things mentioned here. This is not an official opinion of any kind.

First is that the flu shot is the best single line of defense against having a serious, potentially life threatening complication, to influenza virus. It isn't as effective as everyone would like, but it is currently the best insurance policy you can buy. And it is safe. Many won't believe me, and I won't try to convince you, but there is a lot of data on this. In my opinion, it would be as much a shame to meet an untimely demise from a potentially preventable illness like influenza as it would to suffer a similar untimely fate from fuel exhaustion.

Influenza is most severe in people at the extremes of life: <5 and over 65 y/o. This is borne out by the hospitalization rates depicted on the CDC's website: http://gis.cdc.gov/GRASP/Fluview/FluHospRates.html

If you are in one of those age groups, or if you have a serious medical condition or both, or are around people in those categories (like health care workers and grandparents), getting the flu shot could potentially save you or a family member from showing up on that graph as a hospitalization stat, or on this graph as a casualty from pneumonia and influenza: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2012-2013/bigpi01.htm

The vaccine effectiveness (it's really vaccine efficacy to be completely correct) this year is somewhere around 64%. This is not, however, because the vaccine was not a good match to the strains in circulation. If you look at the antigenic characterization data from the CDCs website (mid page): http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

The vaccine was a good antigenic match on 3 of the 4 circulating strains which is especially important for the influenza A/H3N2 strain which generally causes more severe clinical disease than the others. The reason the vaccine isn't protective against the 4th circulating strain is because there are only three components in the influenza vaccine (one A/H1, one A/H3, and one B) every year. There has been talk about adding a 4th. The reasons the vaccine isn't 100% effective in the people who receive it are legion: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm. The vaccine remains the single best preventive measure from experiencing a severe complication from influenza. You can get a dose without thimerosal if you still believe it may be harmful: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

Animals, including cats can get influenza. There were a number of confirmed cases of cats getting the pandemic strain back in the 2009-2010 season. Animals generally get their own subtypes of influenza, but they also serve as an important source of viral change and transmission to other animals, including humans. Pigs seem especially important in human influenza ecology and there have been a number of recent examples of new strains of influenza documented in humans that originated in pigs. The H3N2v (v for "variant) cases picked up by some of the states with better surveillance system this summer and last at county fairs are great examples. The Ft. Dix swine flu scare in 1976 and the 2009 pandemic were others. The devastating 1918 pandemic was also likely of swine origin. If you are in the veterinary, agricultural or animal husbandry industries or professions, getting a flu shot may help prevent the spread of human strains to animals where they can combine to form new pandemic strains.

If you are a young, healthy, wage earner and want to potentially avoid 3 days or more in bed and out of work the flu shot is your best (only) option.

My wife really wants me to finish my basement project so I have to divert to an alternate before I experience a real in-flight emergency on a Saturday morning. A better source than me can be found here: http://www.flu.gov/prevention-vaccination/vaccination/index.html

Or you could just listen to your Aunt Peggy. She knows the deal.

Soreokole, Not sure if your a Doc or play one on TV:rofl: but nice job on making the info more digestable to us lay folk. Now I get it and understand it!!:yes:

Thank you!!

If you are a young, healthy, wage earner and want to potentially avoid 3 days or more in bed and out of work the flu shot is your best (only) option.

Headache, nausea, body pain all over, a general feeling of stupidity, desire to just crawl away and sleep, and an overwhelming feeling of helplessness...

I believe you've just described most staff meetings.

If that's all you've got, I'd be okay spending it in bed with the flu. At least I get a blanket and a comfy pillow.

;) ;) ;)

Pays the same either way.

Headache, nausea, body pain all over, a general feeling of stupidity, desire to just crawl away and sleep, and an overwhelming feeling of helplessness...

I believe you've just described most staff meetings.

If that's all you've got, I'd be okay spending it in bed with the flu. At least I get a blanket and a comfy pillow.

;) ;) ;)

Pays the same either way.

How about a near inability to even get out of bed and to the washroom 30 feet away? I was literally crawling over there, resting every couple of feet. And I was about 25 at the time!

Sounds more like wine flu to me.

How about a near inability to even get out of bed and to the washroom 30 feet away? I was literally crawling over there, resting every couple of feet. And I was about 25 at the time!

Guy with the needle at the pharmacy says no protection from the shot for two weeks. Advises getting the shot at Thanksgiving if you really want protection during the flu season.

Leslie just got the shot today. I got it over a month ago. Having experienced it, I neither want to get it again nor be a vector for someone else to get it. I also make a point to wash my hands regularly!

Sounds more like wine flu to me.

Word has it the margaritas at Wings have similar side effects, although I wouldn't know anything about that personally.

They did a good job of demobilizing me back in the day. Kinda hard to stand up and walk out of the bar if your legs choose to remain seated.

Word has it the margaritas at Wings have similar side effects, although I wouldn't know anything about that personally.

I saw a report that ginger tea, and elderberry tea works very well to reduce flu symptoms once you get it. My wife drank ginger tea for two days when she thought she had the flu. She had the shot also, but did not get sick.

Anecdotal at best, but the report did confirm what we had heard. Ginger ale works also.

They did a good job of demobilizing me back in the day. Kinda hard to stand up and walk out of the bar if your legs choose to remain seated.

After Wings 4 years ago and an evening about 6 or 7 years ago when two of us started off with a fresh bottle of 1800 and finished with said bottle empty, my brain (or perhaps my liver?) has finally created an aversion to tequila. Took it long enough.

First time for everything. I had never heard of margaritas until that night. But I quickly learned everything I needed to know about them, especially the need to consume quite a few in a short time.

A man has got to know his limitations. ;)

First time for everything. I had never heard of margaritas until that night. But I quickly learned everything I needed to know about them, especially the need to consume quite a few in a short time.
Just to clarify, were these "my" margaritas we're talking about? As Steinger (China), Felix, and others can attest, they're powerful!

Nope, went with a friend to entertain his uncle at the KC Playboy Club. Couldn't have a day more more than 40 years ago. And they were plenty strong enough for the lesson.

Just to clarify, were these "my" margaritas we're talking about? As Steinger (China), Felix, and others can attest, they're powerful!

Nope, went with a friend to entertain his uncle at the KC Playboy Club. Couldn't have a day more more than 40 years ago. And they were plenty strong enough for the lesson.
Cool! I didn't remember your having been subjected to my concoction, but, just in case... :)

I think we've only been in the same place one time, Gastons the year that did the "run silent-run deep imitation in Ted's Aztec. And the weather that caused the big rain caused me to delay the trip until the day after the the big parties. That was the year that the kid from California fell and cut his head.

Cool! I didn't remember your having been subjected to my concoction, but, just in case... :)

I think we've only been in the same place one time, Gastons the year that did the "run silent-run deep imitation in Ted's Aztec. And the weather that caused the big rain caused me to delay the trip until the day after the the big parties. That was the year that the kid from California fell and cut his head.
Yeah, that was one of my casualties! China at OSH was another! ("Could you please get your friend off of our tent!") :rofl::mad2::lol: And, of course, it's now officially Ted's ex-Aztruck.

I figure the Aztec was afraid to return to Gastons for fear of being forced to repeat its maritime adventures. Now that the Aztec has moved on with its life, I figure we're safe to return, this time with the 310.

But we won't be landing the 310 at 3M0...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back