Georgia Puppy Caravan - Round II!

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Last weekend I went down to Atlanta to participate in the Georgia Puppy Caravan, which had several goals, including bringing tons of dog food down to support local shelters and emptying an entire shelter of all its some 200 animals. Well, we managed to get a semi with 22 tons of dog food delivered down there (plus some 800 lbs in my Aztec and more dog food from other various aircraft), but not all the dogs made it out of there due to various issues.

This weekend is round two, heading back down to complete the mission. I'll either be coming down on Friday or Saturday, and then returning the following day. Right now I've stuffed 10 crates in the Aztec (7 large ones, 1 medium, and 2 small), and I have room for more. I'm figuring on at least 13 animals, potentially more depending on how they get packed.

We'll be flying into and out of KPDK (at least that's the plan). Anyone who wants to come down and say hi, give me a shout and I'll let you know times when I know them.

Like last time, this will be a mission done under Cloud Nine Rescue Flights, which means I'm looking to raise money to pay for the trip. Last time we were successful, but this time I have about 1/3 of the time to raise the money in.

If anyone's interested in getting dinner, I'll be arriving at probably 5-6 PM tomorrow at KPDK, and we'll likely be going to dinner shortly thereafter. Send me a PM or give me a call if interested.

Pilotsnpaws.org has a similar event kicking off 9/12. Trying to transport 5000 animals between 9/12 and 9/20.

Today's flights were a success! We transported 23 animals in the Aztec, including 4 cats and 19 dogs. Two stops, one in Manassas, VA and the other one in Binghamton, NY. We managed to get news crews to come out to all three airports. CBS in Atlanta, CBS and ABC in Manassas, and CBS in Binghamton. They all said that we'd be on the news, so far this is what I've found:

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0909/656621.html (video!)
http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=90664&catid=158 (text only, at least at this point)

Last time we came we found that we were on the CBS news we couldn't find the video on the website of it, so I'm not completely expecting to find it on there tonight. Binghamton we didn't get to until late, so I have a feeling we were too late to make the 6 PM news. I'll look some more tomorrow.

One more, CBS Binghamton posted their report:

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/57574792.html

I'm happy with all three of the features that I've seen so far. It's great that we were able to get the response that we did!

i just got back in town from recurrent training, sorry I missed you. Great job with the animal transport!

Way to go Ted! Glad to see Cloud Nine getting so much positive press. Thanks for making GA look good.

Thanks, guys. I'm glad to be able to help show people what good comes of GA. Hopefully this will make people think more highly of GA, bring attention to the problem, and bring in donations!

Good job, Ted.

Sorry I missed you at HEF yesterday - I got back around 4 PM from N66. We probably passed each other somewhere over PA.....

Way to go, Ted.

By the way, I was able to get in a flight on Saturday. Took three dogs to New Hampshire that had been rescued in Georgia and flown up to Connecticut the same day. It was a very long day for the puppies, but they handled it well.

Just actually saw the article in the newspaper now. Publishing it on a slow news day was good, it got the most real estate on the front page (more than the mayor and Obama combined) with some cool pictures. Awesome. :)

Last edited:
Back