General Aviation FMS

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
As I understand, use of an FMS is required for operation in RVSM. Does the Cirrus Perspective qualify? What other systems meet the requirements for RVSM in other GA airplanes?

FMS is not required for RVSM.

As I understand, use of an FMS is required for operation in RVSM.
That is not true.

Does the Cirrus Perspective qualify?
I don't know anything about the Cirrus Perspective, but do Cirri fly between FL290 and FL410 which are the RVSM altitudes? :eek:

What other systems meet the requirements for RVSM in other GA airplanes?

Reduced Vertical Separation Minima Approval

Requirements:
An operator shall not operate an aeroplane in defined portions of airspace where, based on regional air navigation agreement, a vertical separation minimum 300 metreapplies unless approved to do so by the Authority (RVSM Approval). EU-OPS 1.241 See also EU-OPS 1.872.
Prior to granting the RVSM approval... the State shall be satisfied that:
a) the vertical navigation performance capability of the aeroplane satisfies the [laid down requirements];
b) the operator has instituted appropriate procedures in respect of continued airworthiness (maintenance and repair) practices and programmes; and
c) the operator has instituted appropriate flight crew procedures for operation in RVSM airspace.
Note: An RVSM approval is valid globally on the understanding that any operating procedures specific to a given region will be stated in the Operations Manual or appropriate crew guidance. (ICAO Annex 6 Part I Chapter 7, Para 7.2.5.)
An operator shall ensure that aeroplanes operated in RVSM airspace are equipped with:
Two independent altitude measurement systems;
An altitude alerting system;
An automatic altitude control system; and
A secondary surveillance radar (SSR) transponder with altitude reporting system that can be connected to the altitude measurement system in use for altitude keeping. (EU-OPS 1.872)

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/RVSM

Back