Gear up landing

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Many of you folks know that one of my long time customers owns 1 of the 12 UC3-Bs in the world. He has a hangar here at 76S that he keeps the Twin Bee. He asked me to get the "B" ready to ferry to Richland Wa. to be near his new home there. So Sunday night I finished the Annual, and packed the "B" with every thing that goes with it, and told the Ferry Pilot that it was ready.

The "B" has not been flown for over 2 years but the Ferry pilot was the last person to fly it, and was teaching in it when th owner allowed the annual to expire due to my not wanting to do the annual because students were flying it.

Tuesday the weather was clear, and the Ferry pilot wanted to get current in the "B" and do a PMCF (post maint. check flight) to see all is well before heading out across the Cascades.

First time around the pattern was to flex the gear, see all the horns and bells work, yep every thing work as advertized. Second stop and go went well until the landing. That is when he forgot to do the gear down and locked thingy. and on roll out the gear colapsed, grinding off what was left of the keel, you see he did this 2 years ago too.

It is common practice in the "B" to unlock the gear and have it in trail position in case you must go for the water in an emergency. the gear will not trip you up entering the water. it will just drag to the up position.

Here is the oddity of the "B" the doors open into the prop arc, so the cabin doors have a closed and locked green light to warn that a door is open.

It is located very close to the landing gear down and locked light, both have cat eye lenzes that you can close to stop the bright light in your eyes. both are green in the land on land mode, and one green and one red for the land on water mode.

If you close the Landing gear down and locked light cat eye, the door closed and lock light is green and can very easy be mistaken for the landing gear green land on land light.

As the "B" touched down the gear was not locked, it looked down, but it was not locked and it went to the trail position and allowed the aircraft to set down on its keel, and scrapped for about 250 feet before coming to a stop setting on a very flat keel.

It looks to me like about $40-$60k in damages to the hull.
NTSB and the FAA both were here today doing the investigation, and both agree that it was a gear up = pilot error.

The picture isn't very good, but shows the keel which should stick down about 1.5 inches.

Last edited:
Thanks for the story, Tom. So sad, but it strongly reinforces to me "I am NOT immune!" when I read about incidents with pilots with considerably more experience than I have.

NC19143 said:
allowed the annual to expire due to my not wanting to do the annual because students were flying it

Curious..a liability issue or something else?

Greg
182RG

I know but I was fooling with it last night and didn't put it back.

ggroves said:
Curious..a liability issue or something else?

Greg
182RG

Knowing who you are working for is the best insurance you can have as a mechanic. When you work for CFIs you never know who will be flying the aircraft.

It's just my method of limiting my exposure.

NC19143 said:
Nice pic.

So, basically, two greens = door closed, gear locked whereas one green/one red = door closed, gear trailing?

Yeah, I would say that's pilot error if that's the case. Too bad.

NC19143 said:

I think you showed me that airplane, Tom. Darn shame it got damaged :(

I can't really make out the damage and now my morbid curiosity is kicking in...got any close ups?

Did I understand right - this is the second gear up for the pilot who did this?

Greebo said:
I can't really make out the damage and now my morbid curiosity is kicking in...got any close ups?

I do now I placed the "B" on its cradle today and took some shots.

Did I understand right - this is the second gear up for the pilot who did this?

yes, this is the second time this pilot has dropped the "B" he wore half the keel off then, and now he got the other half.

NC19143 said:
yes, this is the second time this pilot has dropped the "B" he wore half the keel off then, and now he got the other half.

Not too awful, not something you want, but worse has been done. I don't think I'd give him another shot at the plane after doing it twice. BTW, would you happen to know if that plane was ever owned by Denis Belair under Canadian reg?

Henning said:
Not too awful, not something you want, but worse has been done. I don't think I'd give him another shot at the plane after doing it twice. BTW, would you happen to know if that plane was ever owned by Denis Belair under Canadian reg?

This aircraft has had two owners, Field and Stream Mag, and this owner. Who owned the two See Bees that were used to make it I don't know.

I call the photos "right turn& Left turn"

NC19143 said:

Does this do any damage to the gear, or does it take $40-60K to replace the keel?

The gear on the B is mounted on a cross shaft trunion, vertical shock struts bolted to the trunion are operated by a single hydraulic cylinder and locking mechanism in the center of the bildge. This allows the unlocked gear to be dragged to the trail position if you land in the water. But if you land in the water with the gear down and locked the water will severly damage the hull as it forces the gear aft.

But landing on land with the gear in trail, will only allow the aircraft to go down on the keel. and scrap along until the aircraft stops. Usually the only damage occurs to the keel but if the aircraft falls off the left or right it will catch a wing float and rip the wing off.(un good)

This time the B went off the runway and found the shallow ditch and sat there with the keel in the center of the ditch, gear on the ground, but in trail. but never touched a float.

I spent all day Wed this week testing the B for two NTSB accident inspectors, and the FSDO, My PMI examined my maintenance logs, operated the gear, tested the down lock, and determined the annual was conducted as it should have been and signed off properly, and the B was safe to fly, and properly airworthy. Concluding that the accident was caused by pilot error.

Now it is up to the owner, (who is out of country now) the ferry pilot, and his insurance company.

The B is schedualed into Simuflight's Fallon Nv. facility for a keel replacement next month. we expect the bill to be round $12-15k.

NC19143 said:
I spent all day Wed this week testing the B for two NTSB accident inspectors, and the FSDO, My PMI examined my maintenance logs, operated the gear, tested the down lock, and determined the annual was conducted as it should have been and signed off properly, and the B was safe to fly, and properly airworthy. Concluding that the accident was caused by pilot error.

What was the Pilot's story? I'll bet he's claiming he had confirmed down and locked (seems many pilots who belly in are certain they checked the gear).

NC19143 said:
The B is schedualed into Simuflight's Fallon Nv. facility for a keel replacement next month. we expect the bill to be round $12-15k.

That sounds more reasonable. What kind of damage were you expecting when you thought the damage was $50-60k?

Simuflight has not seen the aircraft yet, I expect the belly skins will need replacement. They quoted keel replacement, which the belly skins can be removed and re-installed.

We'll see when all the work is done what the insurance pays.

Back