Gear Up Landing

Mike Schneider

Pre-Flight
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I've heard a story that no one has died in a gear up landing on an airfield in the U.S. since WWII (where the only problem was the gear being up). Does anyone know any exception to this (that is on the NTSB site or similar documation)? -- Mike

Last edited:
The NTSB search site isn't cooperating with me right now for some reason but I don't recall any. I've heard of a few fatal cases related to loss of control while sorting out a gear problem (not flying the plane thing) and I think a midair or two at one point. As for fatality directly related to the actual sliding down the runway on the belly skin, nothing comes to mind. Fatal gear down landings in the water with floatplanes, those I've heard about.

fgcason said:
I think a midair or two at one point.
This is what happened to Teresa Heinz Kerry's first husband. A helicopter was trying to examine the gear on an Aerostar and they got too close.

Note: Not a political statement. :no:

Everskyward said:
This is what happened to Teresa Heinz Kerry's first husband. A helicopter was trying to examine the gear on an Aerostar and they got too close.

and in fact is the focus of this months dec 05 story page 96 AOPA Pilot

Ive never heard of one, Mike but it seems likely that someone has, sometime. Not that hard to imagine a fire, or loss of control. Surely not a very common thing though.

Back