Gear up at Van Nuys

Luvrv8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KCMA flyer
Watching the news and a video shows what I think may have been a Cessna Cardinal do a gear up landing. I can't find the video but it has a off duty LA County Sheriff officer that says he has 15 years flight experience and a CFI talk the guy down after trying to help him get the gear down. The news makes it sound like if the officer was not around it could have been tragic, they hyped up the whole thing well beyond what was needed. The pilot opted to land on the dirt instead of the runway so "he wouldn't hurt the runway or his plane".

EDIT, found the video link

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Belly-Landing-Van-Nuys-Pilot-Airport-205158951.html

Last edited:
I wonder if the 80 year old pilot didn't G it up enough when he was trying to get them to lock?

Oops...posted this separately. My CFI talked him down (1 hour of trying to get the gear down). Pilot is a member of the 8 Ball Flying Club, but plane was not from the club.

I wonder what happened. I'm sure it's got to be something to do with the hydraulic system. Without any hydraulic pressure the gear will hang down, but will not lock. With a little pressure you can hand pump it down.

Back