Gear up at DTN

Hiperbiper

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
The pilot of a straight-tailed Bo belly landed at DTN last evening after the landing gear could not be extended. The plane circled for 30 minutes or so while our local A&P's (our Phillip is a BO expert) went over all the different things to try but to no avail.
The pilot was as calm as could be...answering the normal cheer-me-up's; Souls on Board, fuel state and intentions quite matter of factly! After a last fly-by that confirmed the wheels and doors were still in the fully retracted position he said:" OK, I'm going around once more then I'll line up and come on in". And so he did.

Though you can't see it that well in the video he came in nose high and rode the flaps for 50 feet before settling down on the A/C condenser :eek: and the nosewheel doors...simply the softest landing you could imagine! Total ground scar was about 200 feet. IMPO Damned fine Piloting!

Everyone on the airport turned out to help, the A&P School instructors, Tower guys and a couple of Ramp Rats (as well as our fine Fire Dept.)...the plane was swung by straps under a BIG Cherry Picker under the watchful eye of the pilot and taken to a hanger (on the other end of the damned 5000 foot runway BTW:rolleyes2:) and put on jackstands without further damage. All in all a good outcome to a crappy situation!:cornut:
Damage to the plane was not as much as it would have been with a lesser pilot...cowling, gear doors, A/C condenser and flaps. A few antennas are a bit shorter and the exhaust pipes have a stylish new rake to 'em. Add a new prop and engine and they're good to go again...(and the gear...fix the stupid gear...).

This is our second gear up on 14/32 in 3 weeks. Just before Christmas a Mooney landed sans wheels.:eek:

If this guy isn't an Instructor he needs to be...
Damn it was a pretty landing...(as it were)

Chris in SHV

`http://www.ksla.com/global/Category.asp?c=194397&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5439052

Last edited:
This plane departed KOJC where im based and just came out of a annual. Im not sure what all was done to it, but Im glad i wasnt the one who signed it off.

Last edited:
This plane departed where I work at KOJC and just came out of a annual. Im not sure what all was done to it, but Im glad i wasnt the one who signed it off.

Whatever happened the gear went up after departure in KC and when the pilot put the gear switch in the down detent and the CB popped at DTN.

The Emergency gear lowering crank is stuck...the pilot tried it both CCW (book) and CW...whatever happened it locked the gear system up tighter than Dicks Hatband...

You guys aren't missing any tools are ya'...?:idea:

Chris

Whatever happened the gear went up after departure in KC and when the pilot put the gear switch in the down detent and the CB popped at DTN.

The Emergency gear lowering crank is stuck...the pilot tried it both CCW (book) and CW...whatever happened it locked the gear system up tighter than Dicks Hatband...

You guys aren't missing any tools are ya'...?:idea:

Chris

All my tools are accounted for :wink2:

Sounds like it might have had a limit switch fail or something could have jammed the system. Im sure the local fsdo will figure it out. Do you know what they are going to do with the plane?

Alright...this is gettin' creepy...

Within three weeks at DTN we've had a Mooney gear up, a Bo gear up, two planes (a Mooney and a Merlin) blow tires on rollout, a Cessna run off the side of the runway and then today a King Air took off and the gear wouldn't retract! He came back and landed Ok. Shortly after that a Cessna 310 got an unsafe gear indication, went thru the Emergency drills and after a tower flyby gave him the thumbs up came in and the left gear folded and he went off the side of the runway!

Anyone got the number of a good Priest,Rabbi, Medicine Man, Monk or Witch Doctor who could take the hex off our airport???. I fear for the sanity of our airport manager...

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=13831847

Chris

Nice looking Viking behind the fire chief ... and giving about 30 more seconds before discussions on "stopping the prop" before hitting the runway start up.

Alright...this is gettin' creepy...

Within three weeks at DTN we've had a Mooney gear up, a Bo gear up, two planes (a Mooney and a Merlin) blow tires on rollout, a Cessna run off the side of the runway and then today a King Air took off and the gear wouldn't retract! He came back and landed Ok. Shortly after that a Cessna 310 got an unsafe gear indication, went thru the Emergency drills and after a tower flyby gave him the thumbs up came in and the left gear folded and he went off the side of the runway!

Anyone got the number of a good Priest,Rabbi, Medicine Man, Monk or Witch Doctor who could take the hex off our airport???. I fear for the sanity of our airport manager...

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=13831847

Chris

Safety Standown?

Safety Standown?

Well, if any of the incidents were caused by either the personnel or the conditions on the field I would say you might have a point but
neither have any bearing on any of the accidents. In point of fact the response to all the situations was by all accounts excellent!

I suppose it's just a "S#@T happens kind of thing.

I still think it's kind of Creepy...:hairraise:

Chris

Could the camera man have picked a crappier spot to record the landing?? Jeesh.....

Yea. we could've asked the Bo pilot to continue to circle while we got our cameraman in a better position to record the CRASH but we thought such a request would be...well...rude...:rolleyes2: .

Since my last post DTN has seen an 421 come in with only one fan turning and last Friday a solo student pranged the nosegear/prop/engine on a 172.

I won't even mention a Hiperbipe pilot that made a really FUGLY crosswind landing last Saturday...no damage except the pilots pride.:ihih:

And so it goes...
Chris

I'm just saying.. he could have moved further down so another plane didnt block his shot....

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back