Gear fails to lock

Love it! That pilot owes him a case of beer and a few crab muffins from Diggs (my favorite reason to stop in at FYJ).

Not exactly a risk-free manuever that the lawyers would approve, but that's just how things roll out in this part of VA. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry, but I think there was a lot more risk to the fellow in the truck than to the pilot doing a gear up landing in the grass. Insurance would have paid for the damage. No one could have replaced the fellow pulling on the gear had things gone south. No way would I risk my neck for a hunk of metal.

No one could have replaced the fellow pulling on the gear had things gone south. No way would I risk my neck for a hunk of metal.

I understand where you are coming from, but knowing Rusty I don't think that he would take any unnecessary risks. He is a firm believer that if there is a problem, the airplane belonges to the insurance company. Plus I don't want to have to find another A&P if anything were to happen to him.:D

I understand where you are coming from, but knowing Rusty I don't think that he would take any unnecessary risks. He is a firm believer that if there is a problem, the airplane belonges to the insurance company. Plus I don't want to have to find another A&P if anything were to happen to him.:D

Riding in a truck trying to pull down airplane gear is an unnecessary risk. He didn't have to do it.

Riding in a truck trying to pull down airplane gear Flying in a small airplane is an unnecessary risk. He didn't have to do it.

Where is the line? Who Decides?

I don't think I'd have done it (for me it's across my line). But I've got no problem allowing them the freedom to make their own choices.

All I can say is I've seen so far, videos/reports of two successful attempts at manually locking the gear on a low pass, and I've never heard of a mishap on such an attempt. The same thing happened a few years ago to a guy with a T tailed Turbo Arrow. one of the mains was stuck and they were able to pull it down.

A partial gear up landing is NOT a happy situation.

Back