GDL50

Larry Winchell

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Larry Winchell
GDL50 not showing TIS-B uplink. Showing air to air. Is that simply my location to the closest transmitter ( I’m currently on the ground)
The ADSB indicator on the GDL50 is not illuminated.

thoughts? Have not used it in awhile.

Yep. Unless someone sending ADSB out is close enough that you're in their "hockey puck" you won't get traffic.

My Scout has Tail Beacon for out. To your point I do not currently have that on. My recollection is I had the light on before. ( without the Tail Beacon on)

Need to be in flight to get ADSB to work, for the most part.

Isn’t TIS-B client-based? No ADS-B out, no TIS-B?

TIS-B is for the benefit of a client, but any aircraft with an ADS-B receiver and line of sight to the ADS-B tower will receive TIS-B, it just might not be relevant to your traffic situation.

Yep. Unless someone sending ADSB out is close enough that you're in their "hockey puck" you won't get traffic.

You will see any aircraft that are ADS-B Out as long as your receiver is line of sight to that aircraft. Hockey puck only applies to TIS-B or ADS-R and requires the receiver to be line of sight to the ground station that is broadcasting the TIS-B/ADS-R

The only time airplanes without ADS-B out will see TIS-B is when an “out” equipped aircraft is nearby. I have one airplane with Out and one without. Both have In. I get better traffic service with Out equipment.

The only time airplanes without ADS-B out will see TIS-B is when an “out” equipped aircraft is nearby. I have one airplane with Out and one without. Both have In. I get better traffic service with Out equipment.

I agree that you get better traffic service with ADS-B Out. One does get a more relevant picture of traffic if airborne, equipped with ADS-B Out and setup properly to be a TIS-B client. An aircraft without ADS-B Out is not going to be a TIS-B client and won't be able to get a ground station to generate a TIS-B for nearby aircraft but will be able to receive any TIS-B anytime the receiver is line of sight to an ADS-B ground station. It is just that what is received is often irrelevant. I have received TIS-B broadcasts as far away as 100 NM, it is just clutter, but if TIS-B is transmitted and the signal is line of sight and strong enough for my receiver, it gets received. Now a days, most traffic is ADS-B air to air with some TIS-B for aircraft that don't have ADS-B Out, but that do have a transponder with mode C.

Back