GDL 82

FortisLotus

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
FortisLotus
I am going to install a Garmin GDL 82 in an RV6A.
If anyone else has installed one, please comment on any tips and or suggestions on the installation. I cuurently have a KT76A.
Thanks!

Following .

Do you have a WAAS GPS or are you also going to install their antenna?

I was going to say, if you have a WAAS position source, slide in a Trig TT31 and be done with it.

Sounds like you don't.

Some other questions:

What's the rest of your stack?
What kind of flying do you do?
How do you risk your life in an RV-6A? You're quite the dare devil.

There's sale on GTX-335. Includes transponder with WAAS & WAAS antenna. Also 335 bangs out 240 watts instead of 82's 30 watts.

$2995 until Dec 31st. Dealers discount further. For $1200 more I'd get a new transponder.

The GDL-82 is what I expect to add to my Cessna as an Out source. I’ll stay with my GDL 39-3D and iDevice or Aera for In, and when that goes pow I’ll go to a GDL 50. The 82 can use my existing Garmin GPS antenna since it’s there from days past. Simple install, legal compliance, and it makes my plane a “client” so my In services will improve. It looks like a good solution for my use.

I'm planning on installing a GDL82 in the pretty near future. Please keep us up-to-date on your progress!

There's sale on GTX-335. Includes transponder with WAAS & WAAS antenna. Also 335 bangs out 240 watts instead of 82's 30 watts.

The wattage requirement is for the transponder. The KT76A puts out 250 watts, which is required for ADS-B out solutions. Some only put out 125 watts (e.g. TT-21), which cannot be used with an ADS-B out solution (after the 2020 date).

If anyone else has installed one, please comment on any tips and or suggestions on the installation. I cuurently have a KT76A.
Thanks!

The TNC connectors are much easier to pin with RG-142 vs RV-400. The core of the 400 is a really tight fit in the TNC pin, sometimes requiring a few strands to be clipped. Either is approved for installation.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/gdl82install.pdf

The wattage requirement is for the transponder. The KT76A puts out 250 watts, which is required for ADS-B out solutions. Some only put out 125 watts (e.g. TT-21), which cannot be used with an ADS-B out solution (after the 2020 date).

Agree, the wattage requirement is for the transponder. Many people don't realize ADS-B content from an add on box is commonly 18-30 watts, which meets the minimum ADS-B specs.

What about the 1090ES requirement in Canada? I'm not sure that's a problem for me but it's something to consider before dropping $2K into a GDL-82 or SkyBeacon. It's the only downside I see to the 82.

What about the 1090ES requirement in Canada? I'm not sure that's a problem for me but it's something to consider before dropping $2K into a GDL-82 or SkyBeacon. It's the only downside I see to the 82.

For the flexibility, a new 1090mhz transponder is better. For about $1K more the GTX-335 is full power transmit, global standard, and new a brand new transponder. Seems like not much more for a lot more. No side effects life having to leave the nav lights on continuously.

Thanks!

Back