Gatlinburg - 12/15

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Cousin is getting married in Gatlinburg, TN Dec. 15th. Any tips on flying to the area? I assume KGTK is the airport of choice? Any pointers on maneuvering the area in a few weeks?

It will be hard to fight the urge to make a 'waste dump' over Neyland stadium on the way over. ;)

Thanks in advance!

I was there for a few days in June 2006. Nice folks. Fuel was decent compared to elsewhere, $4.45 at the time. Tie down fee was $5 a night. I was charged for two nights and there for three.

There's a line of hills along the south side but using the VOR IAP keeps you well clear. Knoxville approach was great help.

The kicker was when I was stuck there for the third night. Everyone else I was meeting for the weekend were driving out. I was just two weeks shy of taking the checkride for my instrument rating and the airport was socked in with clouds and drizzle. Pretty benign except for you couldn't see much more than a thousand above the airport.

So, here I was stuck for another day. I decided to head off to a hotel for the night. I figured it was just as cheap to rent a car than get a cab so I did that. Hotel in June, right at $38 at the Comfort Inn, very reasonable.

The Enterprise guy inside the airport building offered me a car at a discount that otherwise down for maintenance but ok for into town and back or short jot. I got it for $35. Then, the next morning when I took it back... the shocker. 27% tax on the rental car. Yikes!

But, the area is beautiful. Enjoy the ride.

But, the area is beautiful.
It is, as long as the visibility is good enough for you to see something. Smoky Mountain National Park is a nice drive and I think they have some good hikes if you have the time. Then there's the biggest tourist trap in the world, Pigeon Forge, TN <cough, choke>. I could never quite figure out how it got there.

They're called the Smoky mountains for a reason. Either pick a great day, or plan on going later in the day when the fog has had time to burn off.

Then there's the biggest tourist trap in the world, Pigeon Forge, TN <cough, choke>. I could never quite figure out how it got there.
That would be upon mostly the actions of Sevierville's own daughter, Dolly Parton. The name started with an iron forge located next to a river of the same name a couple hundred years ago. It was just another small community for all that time. When she built Dollywood, it took off something awful.

Actually, I cheated.... I really should contribute to Wikipedia as much as I use that source! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeon_Forge,_Tennessee

Someone put a lot of effort into writing an excellent historical account.

When there was desire to expand tourism to the area, large landowners in Gatlinburg refused to relinquish control to outside business. So, they went north to the Pigeon Forge area and began development there, most of it being in the last third of the 1900's. With increase of factory outlet stores and smaller theme parks, it expanded to another version of Silver Dollar City owned by the same brothers. Eventually, they partnered with Dolly Parton and Dollywood was born. At that point, it ballooned into a mega-tourist area.

The downside is similar to the ski areas in Colorado. Property values soared and so did the ever-increasing property taxes. There's no income tax but many were priced out of their own private property. Sales tax revenue is the prime source as proved by my visit.

One place I'd strongly suggest for dinner is the Old Mill restaurant. Incredible food!

That is unless you are used to the visibility in Colorado...

I suppose. There are some days in the summer when vis is quoted at 5sm, and I'm flying along thinging "I'm really darned glad I'm on an IFR plan."

Sometimes I swear tower cuts the atis at 3sm just to allow the vfr guys to fly some.

Back