Gathering of Mustangs & Legends

finsjb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
finsjb
A friend of mine called and told me about this show in late September. Its at Rickenbacker International (LCK) in Columbus, OH. Anyone been to this before or planning on going? We are also planning on stopping in Dayton on our way home and checking out the Air Force Museum. If anyone has been to the museum, is it worth our time going?

Thanks, and we may see you there.

http://www.gml2007.com/

I heard they are going to have the largest gathering of P51's in one location since WWII, with fly-by's on Sat/Sun of fifty-one P-51 Mustangs in formation. I'd LOVE to be there... can you IMAGINE what that'd sound like?!

I'll be there! Although I only live about 15 minutes from the airport. I also volunteered to help out during the event.

If anyone else comes in, get a hold of me and we can meet up in person. I might be able to help out with some ground transportation for anyone flying in since they want those who fly in to land at KTZR (about a 10 minute drive to the show then).

I'm on the list to work the "fighter" ramp for the week. I'll be flying in to Bolton early in the week and leaving the Monday after the event.

They have 100+ P-51s registered to attend. It's also an official AF 60th Anniversary event so a large contingent of current AF hardware is expected.

You should go the AF museum at least once in your lifetime, imho.

or those interested in going around raleigh, you can go USAir round trip from RDU for $178 out and back on the 29th - I'll be there

Of course it seems kind of dumb not to check out the AF museum while I'm there....

i believe that Matt Sawhill (foka4) plans to attend. not sure if hes flying the 140 out there.

I wonder if Tom Cruise will be bringing his P-51?

I got a press release. Bob Hoover and Bud Anderson will be there. Yeager will not be there.

There will be three of us there Friday afternoon through Sunday morning.
The airport will be NOTAM'd closed to all but those participating and 135 traffic according to the web site. There is another airport (can't recall the name right now) about 15 miles away where we will be staying.

It might be Bolton (TZR). That's where I'll be flying to on the Sunday before (just cheaper to fly directly from an airshow that day than to fly home and then to TZR). I've signed up to work the ramp in the afternoon/evening (figure I should be acclimated to the heat better than those yankee boys). I'll have the mornings free unless otherwise assigned. I have a room at the Microtel halfway between TZR and LCK, if they remember my reservation.

There will be three of us there Friday afternoon through Sunday morning.

The airport will be NOTAM'd closed to all but those participating and 135 traffic according to the web site. There is another airport (can't recall the name right now) about 15 miles away where we will be staying.​

I would love to go to this but I don't think there's any way I could make it. I hate that as it seems like an event of a lifetime.

It might be Bolton (TZR). That's where I'll be flying to on the Sunday before (just cheaper to fly directly from an airshow that day than to fly home and then to TZR). I've signed up to work the ramp in the afternoon/evening (figure I should be acclimated to the heat better than those yankee boys). I'll have the mornings free unless otherwise assigned. I have a room at the Microtel halfway between TZR and LCK, if they remember my reservation.

Good call Steve, it is TZR. The only downside is that they will not have shuttle service available between both fields. As a result we ended up just getting a rental car.

Are you bringing the family?

No family this time. School and work conflict. I'm splitting the room with an AA pilot who'll be driving one of the 30 tugs expected to be there for shuffling planes around.

I suspect if enough interest was indicated the TZR FBO might set up a shuttle, at least for a couple of days. I've emailed them to arrange for a rental car, but they haven't responded yet. I guess I need to call them directly.

Good call Steve, it is TZR. The only downside is that they will not have shuttle service available between both fields. As a result we ended up just getting a rental car.

Are you bringing the family?

Wonder why Yeager won't be there? :dunno:

He was at Oshkosh, with another session on stage in the Theatre in the Woods.

The last I heard he had young (wife?) who was running things ala Groucho Marx and the family resented her...and worries about the inheritance.

No family this time. School and work conflict. I'm splitting the room with an AA pilot who'll be driving one of the 30 tugs expected to be there for shuffling planes around.

I suspect if enough interest was indicated the TZR FBO might set up a shuttle, at least for a couple of days. I've emailed them to arrange for a rental car, but they haven't responded yet. I guess I need to call them directly.

I'm up for a shuttle as well. It sounds like TZR is the place to go. Maybe if enough of us call they will consider it. In the mean time, sounds like a rental car is a must.

Back