Gastrointestinal Issues

U

Unregistered

This is not a fun topic (and it's embarrassing to boot) , but I need some advice.

Slowly over the last few years I've started having problems with certain foods upsetting my stomach and causing other "issues". I started spending way too much time in the facilities. Imodium became an every day thing. Not a fun way to live.

I suspected Lactose intolerance because it runs in my family and the usual suspects (milk, cheese, etc.) really caused problems. But other things seem to also have an effect. Unusual things like watermelon, cantaloupe, eggs, etc. I couldn't even eat a Chic-fil-a sandwich (and I LOVE those things) without a trip to the bathroom within 10 mins of the first bite. It's awful. So I went to the doc to get checked out.

I've been through more tests than I care to ever take; Colonoscopy, bloodwork, you name it. So far, nothing has been found to be causing the problem. Doc says it may be IBS. He prescribed Librax to see if it would help. It's helped a LOT. I can eat favorite dishes in restaurants now that I haven't been able to eat in a very long time. It hasn't been a total cure, but it certainly has made a drastic difference. I can't sit down and eat a bowl of ice cream, but I can have a slice of cheese on a sandwich without fear of upset stomach now.

The problem is, I understand that the FAA says Librax is a no-no. No medical while take it. Of course I'm not happy about that. I talked to the doc, and he's not a pilot so he really doesn't seem too concerned over whether the Librax keeps me from flying or not. His feeling is it's helping the problem, so why try something else. I'm not happy with that.

Does anyone know of any other drugs that have similar properties as Librax that the FAA does approve?

We are continuing tests to rule out any other physical causes, but if we don't find anything, I'm going to be stuck with managing this with meds. I'd like to find one that won't keep me from flying. Any suggestions that I can pass on to my doc?

This is not a fun topic (and it's embarrassing to boot) , but I need some advice.

Slowly over the last few years I've started having problems with certain foods upsetting my stomach and causing other "issues". I started spending way too much time in the facilities. Imodium became an every day thing. Not a fun way to live.

I suspected Lactose intolerance because it runs in my family and the usual suspects (milk, cheese, etc.) really caused problems. But other things seem to also have an effect. Unusual things like watermelon, cantaloupe, eggs, etc. I couldn't even eat a Chic-fil-a sandwich (and I LOVE those things) without a trip to the bathroom within 10 mins of the first bite. It's awful. So I went to the doc to get checked out.

I've been through more tests than I care to ever take; Colonoscopy, bloodwork, you name it. So far, nothing has been found to be causing the problem. Doc says it may be IBS. He prescribed Librax to see if it would help. It's helped a LOT. I can eat favorite dishes in restaurants now that I haven't been able to eat in a very long time. It hasn't been a total cure, but it certainly has made a drastic difference. I can't sit down and eat a bowl of ice cream, but I can have a slice of cheese on a sandwich without fear of upset stomach now.

The problem is, I understand that the FAA says Librax is a no-no. No medical while take it. Of course I'm not happy about that. I talked to the doc, and he's not a pilot so he really doesn't seem too concerned over whether the Librax keeps me from flying or not. His feeling is it's helping the problem, so why try something else. I'm not happy with that.

Does anyone know of any other drugs that have similar properties as Librax that the FAA does approve?

We are continuing tests to rule out any other physical causes, but if we don't find anything, I'm going to be stuck with managing this with meds. I'd like to find one that won't keep me from flying. Any suggestions that I can pass on to my doc?

Interesting.. Librax is a combination agent.. Librium (anti anxiety med, cousin to valium, ativan, etc) and an anticholinergic (in lay terms slows the gut, among other things). I'm surprised the anticholinergic part isn't available alone, without the downer attached to it.

Dont have an answer for you, but good luck.

I'm not a doctor, but I used to date a D.O. who had a slant toward natural treatments. She would say to take Cat's Claw.

Often called by its Spanish name, "Una de Gato" or the plant's taxononomical name, "Uncaria tomentosa," Cat's Claw has been found effective in treating IBS in a number of studies. It's also effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis and joint pain (as most of the members of my family over 45, including myself, will attest), lupus, and other autoimmune disorders. It's also being looked at for possible effectiveness in treating diabetes, ulcers, and cancer.

More about Cat's Claw: http://www.rain-tree.com/catsclawtechreport.pdf

Another supplement, Omega-3 (Alpha-Linolenic Acid) also may help stabilize IBS. Most Western diets are over-rich in Omega-6, but deficient in Omega-3. Restoring the balance seems to help a multitude of problems.

Again, I'm not a doctor and I don't really like giving medical or nutritional advice, so take it for what it's worth. But neither Cat's Claw nor Omega-3 will ground you, and many people find them effective against IBS.

-Rich

The other thought is to change your dietary habits so you don't eat the things that set off your GI tract.

I'm not a doctor, but I used to date a D.O. who had a slant toward natural treatments. She would say to take Cat's Claw.

Often called by its Spanish name, "Una de Gato" or the plant's taxononomical name, "Uncaria tomentosa," Cat's Claw has been found effective in treating IBS in a number of studies. It's also effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis and joint pain (as most of the members of my family over 45, including myself, will attest), lupus, and other autoimmune disorders. It's also being looked at for possible effectiveness in treating diabetes, ulcers, and cancer.

Another supplement, Omega-3 (Alpha-Linolenic Acid) also may help stabilize IBS. Most Western diets are over-rich in Omega-6, but deficient in Omega-3. Restoring the balance seems to help a multitude of problems.

Again, I'm not a doctor and I don't really like giving medical or nutritional advice, so take it for what it's worth. But neither Cat's Claw nor Omega-3 will ground you, and many people find them effective against IBS.

-Rich

Not a doc. But add probiotics to the list.

-Rich

Thanks. I'll look in to that. I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

The other thought is to change your dietary habits so you don't eat the things that set off your GI tract.

That's the problem. I never know what they are going to be. I HAVE been avoiding anything with milk products in it along with the foods I know will set it off every time (and the hardest to avoid is eggs! I love them, but I've completely stopped eating anything that I know has eggs in it), but that hasn't stopped the problem.

I travel a lot for work, so relying strictly on home cooked foods is near impossible. One day I can go in to a restaurant and order a grilled chicken and be just fine. Next day it sets off my GI tract. It's driving me and my doc nuts.

My wife suffered thru years of progressively worse gastro distress. Got a diagnosis of spastic colon, Crohn's Disease, IBS (I think that means "yeah, you've got a problem and we don't know what it is"), suspected celiac sprue, etc ... she was prescribed Imodium (back when it was prescription only), and Levsin for the colon spasms.

We finally did blood analysis and testing for food allergy (IgA, Immnolabs? or similar? was a number of years ago and I don't have the doc/lab/test info any more) where they identified and rated allergy/intolerance reactions for a whole host of food items, from a 1 (allergic) to a 4 (somewhat intolerant).

She had no foods rated at a 1 - true allergy, with the typical associated allergic reactions - hives, breathing, swelling, etc symptoms, but has at least 10 items rated from a 2 to a 4 (shellfish, eggs, black or white pepper, oranges are a few I recall)

She eliminated those food items from her diet and it really turned her life around.

After a while, she was able to slowly reintroduce those 4s and 3s food items, but still avoids the 2-rated items, like eggs (whole - she can tolerate items with a small amount of egg, like breads, baked goods, etc) and shellfish.

She was careless a while back and had some clam chowder. She was miserable for a while, so those are still bothersome for her.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bet on it. My wife went from PCP to gastro to nutritionist to gastro to ER a couple of times to new PCP (insurance change) to gastro again to the point of complete and utter frustration. She didn't get an allergist referral until much later, and they only did the skin prick test, which didn't test near enough of the specific food products, nor (as explained by the place we used) also doesn't come close to identifying the blood responses (the IgA?) - skin prick response is more of a contact allergy that a food intolerance test.

The hoops they put her thru were heart-wrenching. One doc says "you're not getting enough fiber. I want you to really dose up on fiber." The fiber he recommended, Citracil, had orange in it - one of her #2 intolerances. That produced another ER episode late one night.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll look in to that. I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

You're welcome.

I emailed Debbie about this, and she told me to remind the OP to read the PDF. Especially the contraindications. Especially if the OP is a woman. And especially if the OP is a woman who is pregnant or trying to become pregnant. Cat's Claw in high doses has contraceptive and abortifacient effects, she says, and may have teratogenic effects.

She also says hello, having slipped on here under my account from time to time back when we were together.

-Rich

EDIT: Debbie's my ex-girlfriend, in case it wasn't obvious. She's presently in South America.

Last edited:
Then that's the first thing I'd do. If it's food allergies (and very well could be) a diet can be tailored to control the situation sans drugs.
Yep! I failed to mention that my wife is symptom free (when she doesn't carelessly or accidentally eat one of her listed foods) without meds.

One assumes the OPs doc did due diligence and sent him to an allergist to begin with.

You would think so, but they did not..even though I asked. I do have an appointment in early in October now though thanks to the Gastro doc.

I started monitoring my foods a while back and started taking notes about when I have problems and what I ate. I see no pattern other than the lactose issue, which I avoid and the few specific foods I know I have to avoid (like I mentioned, eggs, milk products, and a few select fruits), but other than that is seems to be random.

You're welcome.

I emailed Debbie about this, and she told me to remind the OP to read the PDF. Especially the contraindications. Especially if the OP is a woman. And especially if the OP is a woman who is pregnant or trying to become pregnant. Cat's Claw in high doses has contraceptive and abortifacient effects, she says, and may have teratogenic effects.

No worries there! I did read the pdf, thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back