Gastons

Rudy said:
Hey i got a quick question.
I noticed on the AirNav listing for Gastons it says left traffic, however on the landing video on the site the aircraft goes right downwind and then right base for Runway 24. Am i missing something. How will we land when we go there??

I've only landed there once and Diana was flying, but IIRC we did fly a left downwind. The weirdest part was that you couldn't see the runway from the downwind due to a ridge in the way. The runway shows up when you turn base and the final takes you between tall trees on either side of the runway with what looked like about 60-75 feet between them.

Rudy said:
Hey i got a quick question.
I noticed on the AirNav listing for Gastons it says left traffic, however on the landing video on the site the aircraft goes right downwind and then right base for Runway 24. Am i missing something. How will we land when we go there??

Rudy:

I was afraid someone would think of this when I took this video and addressed it when it was first posted. Please consider the right traffic artistic license--ya see, the photographer was in the right seat and had we flown left traffic all you would have see was the side of my face (uggggh), the instrument panel, glare shield and blue sky until final. Guess I could have put her in the left seat and flown from the right, but no brakes on that side. Could have been interesting when we landed.
Please excuse the right traffic pattern and enjoy the vid. We made several radio calls; it was a week day and there was no other traffic detected--I'm developing an excuse sheet in case more folks question this. ;)

Best,

Dave

Brian Austin said:
Uncultured savage redneck. ;)

Challenge more than anything. Spin fishing was fun (and still is) but flyfishing just kinda struck me as MORE fun.

I prefer fly fishing. Unless, of course, we're floating in my brother's boat in Currituck Sound with a cooler of adult beverages.

Steve said:
Nothing illegal about using a right hand pattern if you are alert for traffic, though.

You might want to review the FARs:

§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.
(a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class G airspace area must comply with the requirements of this section.
(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in a Class G airspace area -
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right

§ 91.127 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class E airspace.
(a) Unless otherwise required by part 93 of this chapter or unless otherwise authorized or required by the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class E airspace area, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class E airspace area must comply with the requirements of 91.126.

I saw the plane, it was well outside the pattern; wasn't in the vc of the airport at all. He entered staight in. Telephoto lens.

Dave Siciliano said:
Rudy:

I was afraid someone would think of this when I took this video and addressed it when it was first posted. Please consider the right traffic artistic license--ya see, the photographer was in the right seat and had we flown left traffic all you would have see was the side of my face (uggggh), the instrument panel, glare shield and blue sky until final. Guess I could have put her in the left seat and flown from the right, but no brakes on that side. Could have been interesting when we landed.
Please excuse the right traffic pattern and enjoy the vid. We made several radio calls; it was a week day and there was no other traffic detected--I'm developing an excuse sheet in case more folks question this. ;)

Best,

Dave
OK thanks for the reply!!
I understand now, i just didn't wanna fly in there and do something i wasn't suppose to. It is a great video, i have been watching it quite a bit to get the idea!!

Steve said:
I can probably defined "required" pretty broadly... kind of like "airport of intended landing"... but I sit publicly reprimanded... please unlock the pillory in time for dinner, Ed.

If it came off that rough I stand publicly reprimanded and duly contrite. Beau coup apologies.

Ed, I hope you make it too. We need a couple of M20Js to properly represent the mark. I'll be doing some practice on grass here before I head out. We'll be in Saturday noonish and will leave Sunday when the fun's over.

Ed Guthrie said:
You might want to review the FARs:

§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.
(a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class G airspace area must comply with the requirements of this section.
(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in a Class G airspace area -
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right

§ 91.127 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class E airspace.
(a) Unless otherwise required by part 93 of this chapter or unless otherwise authorized or required by the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class E airspace area, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class E airspace area must comply with the requirements of 91.126.

This brings up a point I've been wondering about. At our local airport (class E) we have an instructor who shows up every now and then with a student to do right traffic landings. All runways at my airport are left traffic. He shows up unannounced and doesn't use the radio - but that's another story. Now, I don't like him very much anyway, so I'd love to hear that he's in violation of some reg, but I always assumed that a training flight was sort of a trump card ("Unless otherwise authorized or required"). Who can authorize right traffic at an airport in Class E airspace? Is the pattern required to teach students how to fly right hand traffic?

Chip

ps. No, I wouldn't turn him in even if I could. But I'd love to have a ramp talk with him about it :)

gibbons said:
This brings up a point I've been wondering about. At our local airport (class E) we have an instructor who shows up every now and then with a student to do right traffic landings. All runways at my airport are left traffic. He shows up unannounced and doesn't use the radio - but that's another story. Now, I don't like him very much anyway, so I'd love to hear that he's in violation of some reg, but I always assumed that a training flight was sort of a trump card ("Unless otherwise authorized or required"). Who can authorize right traffic at an airport in Class E airspace? Is the pattern required to teach students how to fly right hand traffic?

Chip

ps. No, I wouldn't turn him in even if I could. But I'd love to have a ramp talk with him about it :)

I'm very certain that a CFI can't "authorize" himself to violate 91.126-7, nor can he make such a pattern "required" because he wants to teach a right hand pattern. OTOH, why in the world would you want to confront him about this? I'd say that a satisfactory outcome of such a "discussion" has less chance than you have of winning the lottery this week.

lancefisher said:
OTOH, why in the world would you want to confront him about this? I'd say that a satisfactory outcome of such a "discussion" has less chance than you have of winning the lottery this week.

Well, we've never liked each other much and any chance I have to pick a fight with him is a good time for me. It really lights him up (he takes himself very seriously) so it's worth my time :) We go way back (to 1975).

I really need to grow up..... :D

Lance F said:
Ed, I hope you make it too. We need a couple of M20Js to properly represent the mark. I'll be doing some practice on grass here before I head out. We'll be in Saturday noonish and will leave Sunday when the fun's over.

As it stands now I'm nearly certain to be there. My work travel schedule could still trash the deal but the odds of that happening are diminishing rapidly. The one item left to resolve is whether my wife or another family member will agree to travel with me or whether I'll be traveling solo. Like you, I should arrive Saturday around Noon and stay through Sunday's wind-up.

Sounds as if we might have 3 Mooney's on the ramp. The neighborhood is looking up.

I see Gastons is a land on 24 / take off on 6 airport. How far is that ridge from the threashold of 24? And why would you be over the ridge if you are left traffic to 24? Wouldn't you be over the river?

N2212R said:
I see Gastons is a land on 24 / take off on 6 airport. How far is that ridge from the threashold of 24? And why would you be over the ridge if you are left traffic to 24? Wouldn't you be over the river?

You'd be on the other side of the ridge (between the runway and the river).

lancefisher said:
You'd be on the other side of the ridge (between the runway and the river).

Here's what I'm looking at:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=36.348679&lon=-92.557107

Select the large version. Maybe I'm picturing the scale wrong, or maybe I fly tight patterns, but I'm wondering how you wouldn't see the runway until base if I'm south of the field for a landing to 24. I'm just trying to visualize this before I fly in there.

N2212R said:
Here's what I'm looking at:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=36.348679&lon=-92.557107

Select the large version. Maybe I'm picturing the scale wrong, or maybe I fly tight patterns, but I'm wondering how you wouldn't see the runway until base if I'm south of the field for a landing to 24. I'm just trying to visualize this before I fly in there.

Well, keep in mind that I was in the back seat of a Citabria which, while it's a fun plane to fly, doesn't have the outward visibility of a Tiger (or Cherokee for that matter).

lancefisher said:
Well, keep in mind that I was in the back seat of a Citabria which, while it's a fun plane to fly, doesn't have the outward visibility of a Tiger (or Cherokee for that matter).

Ah....I thought that was the general view for any/every approach in there. Thanks for unconfusing me!

N2212R said:
I'm wondering how you wouldn't see the runway until base if I'm south of the field for a landing to 24.
\

It might be the trees all around the runway too. I seem to recall losing sight of it until on base, and then also seeing the appealing but completely incorrect field on the S side of the river... don't land the-re!
Seems like everyone I saw in the pattern was over, or S of that ridge.

Steve said:
To be over the river on left downwind for 24 at Gaston's would be a very tight pattern. The river is at most maybe 300'-400' from the runway. Here's picture from their website that gives a fairly good view of the layout looking east. As you can see the approach from the east is not that dramatic (less intimidating than that ridge at Hot Springs) and the ridge paralleling downwind is just off your right wing in a "normal" pattern.

I could easily land from base if I were at the position that picture was taken from. In fact,that's a problem with my landings. I've been turening base too early.

Steve said:
I wonder if the judges are going to deduct for slipping it in...
The judges will be watching your every move. An elaborate point system will be in place. I learned a lot about judging last night at the Professional Bull Riders show. ;)

Back