Gastons

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Well Gastons is approaching quickly. I have started planning our trip (my first to gastons) for this year. Mark Bell will be flying commercial out to Vegas, and joining me for the flight to Albuquerque, where we plan on picking up Nick Brennan, for the rest of the journey. I have all that planning under control, but I am wondering what everyone was doing for rooms...I went to the website that Diana posted, and it looks like it is down. I remember seeing houses there with 3 and 4 bedrooms available.
What is the consensus among those that have been there? Rent a cabin? tent it? With 3 people in the mooney, I wont have the room for camping equipment, so walls would be best.
Also, I am still undecided weather or not to land the mooney on that grass strip. its not the landing that worries me as much as the takeoff..any comments? suggestions?

Thanks
Michael

Michael said:
I have all that planning under control, but I am wondering what everyone was doing for rooms...I went to the website that Diana posted, and it looks like it is down.

Michael, it's working fine for me. You might want to try it again:

http://www.eaa732.org/aopa/default.asp

Michael said:
What is the consensus among those that have been there? Rent a cabin? tent it? With 3 people in the mooney, I wont have the room for camping equipment, so walls would be best.

If you guys decide to camp, they don't allow camping at Gaston's, but there is a campground just down the road and we can get you guys rides back and forth.

Several of us already have rooms and cabins booked. If you decide to go that route, you may want to book it early, because they have a tendancy to fill up fast.

Michael said:
Also, I am still undecided weather or not to land the mooney on that grass strip. its not the landing that worries me as much as the takeoff..any comments? suggestions?

I don't know anything about Mooneys, but I would wonder about 3 guys and their stuff taking off. Some people pick their passengers up at the paved airports not far away. Gaston's has vans frequently going back and forth to those airports.

Last edited:
Michael said:

So long as the surface is reasonably firm and smooth (judging by the Gaston's website photos it is), a 3200' turf runway is no problem for a Mooney even loaded at maximum gross weight. I've been in and out of the 3100' turf runway at Cavanaugh Bay, ID at gross weight with my M20J, and in and out of much, much shorter turf runways at somewhat reduced weights, including 2600' at Swan Creek, NC at nearly gross weight, and 2100' New London, PA (now gone--boy oh boy, was that ever an interesting runway--you really only had ~1300' of useful runway surface) at much reduced weight (~20 gallons fuel and #210 pilot on take-off).

FWIW, if I'm able to make the trip I intend to take my M20J into Gaston's this year.

Ed Guthrie said:
FWIW, if I'm able to make the trip I intend to take my M20J into Gaston's this year.
Hey Ed, I hope you can go!!

I'm going by Delta, but not into Gaston's. A little bit bigger strip. :)

Ed Guthrie said:

Ed, that's great! Hope you can make it! :yes:

Is everybody going in on Saturday and departing Sunday, or are some arriving earlier?

Last edited:
Ack! Still haven't been able to figure out if I'll be there. We haven't got our house in Orlando on the market yet, but we're getting close to putting a contract on one in Jax, with anticipated closing at the end of June. So I may end up with a Citabria full of camping gear if the rooms are booked by the time I get my schedule figured out.

Not sure if I will be there. Renting a cabin for just one person seems like overkill.

N2212R said:
Not sure if I will be there. Renting a cabin for just one person seems like overkill.

Ed if you ike, you can go in on a room with us. I havn't made the reservations yet,

Michael

Moxie said:
Is everybody going in on Saturday and departing Sunday, or are some arriving earlier?
Hey Moxie, hope you can make it. :yes:

Here is the page of Chip's web site that lists who has signed up so far. Some of us are arriving on Friday. There are more people who are coming, but who haven't signed up yet.

http://www.eaa732.org/aopa/attendance.asp

I just need a head count closer to time so I can give Gaston's a number for seating at the restaurant.

Moxie said:

I'm planning Saturday noonish, but have the plane reserved from Friday noon on. If the Sat wx looks bad, I'll likely fly over Friday afternoon. I don't have a room for Friday, so I'll just do whatever for Friday night.

Ken Ibold said:
Hint: Diana is a sucker for a hard-luck story.

:D

How did you know! I was going to say, we can get more cots for our cabin if people can't find somewhere to stay after they get there. I think that Eamon has "first dibbies" on the couch. :)

:dance:

If the weathers half decent (no tornadoes or thunderstorms) I plan on being there. My wife hasn't made up her mind yet so I don't know if I'll come in Saturday or early Sunday. If she makes the trip I'd fly in Saturday so she gets the reward of a weekend vacation and not flying both ways on the same day. If she's not coming I wouldn't be "allowed" to stay out overnight ( :) ) so I'd plan on flying in Sunday morning.

P.S. It's not only the length of the grass strip at Gaston's but the height of the trees at the end. Baxter County and their courtesy van works for me.

bstratt said:
P.S. It's not only the length of the grass strip at Gaston's but the height of the trees at the end. Baxter County and their courtesy van works for me.

Remember trees create ground effect just as well :)

Michael said:
Remember trees create ground effect just as well :)

LOL - That's awesome! That needs to go on the random quote generator.

Barry - you have 200hp in the Arrow right? I wouldn't think it would be any problem. You're starting to remind me of a guy I know in Hawaii who flys 152s into and out of Honolulu. Anything shorter than 5,000 foot he considers short field. :D

Michael said:
Well Gastons is approaching quickly. I have started planning our trip (my first to gastons) for this year. Mark Bell will be flying commercial out to Vegas

YES I KNOW. Mark has been BREAKING THEM OFF ON ME for days now trying to get me to break free and attend. :D SOUNDS LIKE A FLOAT LOAD OF FUN!

Diana said:
How did you know! I was going to say, we can get more cots for our cabin if people can't find somewhere to stay after they get there. I think that Eamon has "first dibbies" on the couch. :)

:dance:
I am not sharing the couch........................ Unless the person is of the opposite sex :blowkiss:

:goofy: :dance: :goofy:

It's not only the length of the grass strip at Gaston's but the height of the trees at the end.

We watched a plane or two take a loong time to climb out of the valley, even when it was in the morning and cool, with pretty short grass.
See pic of Chip landing to the SW. You takeoff in the direction he is coming from... towards that wall of trees.
It *can* be just fine. But I don't plan to do it with 4 people and full fuel.
Also a departure photo.

Dave, that hill looks awfully close and high! Maybe the photo compresses the actual distance.

Let'sgoflying! said:
We watched a plane or two take a loong time to climb out of the valley, even when it was in the morning and cool, with pretty short grass.

Thanks for posting the pictures Dave. I was trying to find mine and don't know where they are. Maybe they were your pictures on the Ofoto site. :)

Last year I was starting to worry about the Cardinal that took a L-O-N-G time to get off the wet runway.

Toby said:
Dave, that hill looks awfully close and high! Maybe the photo compresses the actual distance.

You make a turn and follow the river. It's not quite as bad as it looks.

wsuffa said:
You make a turn and follow the river. It's not quite as bad as it looks.
I guess I'll find out when Diana flies us in there. I can't wait! I have never been in that part of the country. I think Iowa's the closest I've been.

Say, Diana, how many bags can I fit in your Citabria? I'm bringing a lot of stuff!

Toby said:
Say, Diana, how many bags can I fit in your Citabria? I'm bringing a lot of stuff!

We can have Carol Hays and Tom take all our stuff and chairs and food and more stuff in the Skyhawk. We can wear our parachutes and do loops and rolls on the way down. :)

Wow - I am getting pretty excited now...I can't believe I'm actually going!

Anyone have suggestions on whether or not I should get a temporary fishing license before I go, or get one there?

I assume there's a bait shop of sorts there?

N2212R said:
Barry - you have 200hp in the Arrow right? I wouldn't think it would be any problem. You're starting to remind me of a guy I know in Hawaii who flys 152s into and out of Honolulu. Anything shorter than 5,000 foot he considers short field. :D

Yep, 200hp. I just remember watching a low wing last year (I think it was Dave Taylor) takeoff on the wet grass. By the time he got airborne I was holding my breath.

I've never landed on grass (would have to check to see if my insurance policy is okay with it) and if I was going to try it I'd want to practice a bit first where I've got a bit more latitude than that wall of trees.

Last edited:
bstratt said:
No, just 180hp. I just remember watching a low wing last year (I think it was Dave Taylor) takeoff on the wet grass. By the time he got airborne I was holding my breath.

I've never landed on grass (would have to check to see if my insurance policy is okay with it) and if I was going to try it I'd want to practice a bit first where I've got a bit more latitude than that wall of trees.

Oh, grass strips are so nice to land on. Much softer. Low wings get into ground effect sooner, surprised at the trouble. Maybe it's the nose wheel causing trouble?????:confused:

NickDBrennan said:
Anyone have suggestions on whether or not I should get a temporary fishing license before I go, or get one there?

I assume there's a bait shop of sorts there?
Nick,

There is a bait shop there but you can also buy your license online before you go: http://www.agfc.com/licenses/fishing_licenses.html

A 3 day non-res fishing with trout permit will run you $23. I called Gaston's and they can do a 3 day license for you there - also $23.

Chip

gibbons said:
Nick,

There is a bait shop there but you can also buy your license online before you go: http://www.agfc.com/licenses/fishing_licenses.html

A 3 day non-res fishing with trout permit will run you $23. I called Gaston's and they can do a 3 day license for you there - also $23.

Chip
Sigh. I'll be in San Diego, normally one of my more favorites places. Not that weekend.

Brian Austin said:
Sigh. I'll be in San Diego, normally one of my more favorites places. Not that weekend.
Brian,
This one's big brother is glad you're not going to make it, but the rest of us wish you could come! :yes:

Chip

[edit] Yep, that's the White River.

gibbons said:
Brian,
This one's big brother is glad you're not going to make it, but the rest of us wish you could come! :yes:

Chip

Five weight with a #16 Hare's Ear Nymph, a bumping off the bottom. Sigh.

Next year.

Brian Austin said:
Five weight with a #16 Hare's Ear Nymph, a bumping off the bottom. Sigh.

Next year.

Ahh, you're one of them thar fly fishermen. For some reason, I never really had the urge to do that. Give me an open reel and the worm anyday.

NickDBrennan said:
Ahh, you're one of them thar fly fishermen. For some reason, I never really had the urge to do that. Give me an open reel and the worm anyday.
Uncultured savage redneck. ;)

Challenge more than anything. Spin fishing was fun (and still is) but flyfishing just kinda struck me as MORE fun.

gibbons said:
Brian,

Chip

Okay, enough with the bait fish photos. Where's the game fish catch?

N2212R said:
Oh, grass strips are so nice to land on. Much softer. Low wings get into ground effect sooner, surprised at the trouble. Maybe it's the nose wheel causing trouble?????:confused:

Nope, the ground was very wet. You'd be amazed at how much that can affect your acceleration, especially if the plane has high wing loading. The trick is to get the weight off the wheels absolutely ASAP. Sometimes when you do, you can actually feel the plane leap forward as the wheels get "unstuck".

Hey i got a quick question.
I noticed on the AirNav listing for Gastons it says left traffic, however on the landing video on the site the aircraft goes right downwind and then right base for Runway 24. Am i missing something. How will we land when we go there??

Steve said:
I've always used a left hand pattern at 3M0 and plan to in June. Just follow the ridge line while keeping the airport in sight.

Nothing illegal about using a right hand pattern if you are alert for traffic, though.
Ok thanks a lot!!

Back