Gaston's weather, SNAFU

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
A summer storm system of unprecedented size and intensity threatens a period of potentially wild weather in the Plains Wednesday and the Midwest Thursday and Thursday night. If barometric pressures at the heart of the abnormally potent late season storm sink to 28.90" (979 mb) of mercury in the Dakotas Thursday, as the global computer forecast models of nearly every major national forecast agency in the world predict, howling non-thunderstorm winds could gust above 45 m.p.h. here by Thursday afternoon followed by the potential for a serious outbreak of severe, possibly tornadic t-storms over a wide area of the Nation's Heartland. A central pressure at that level would equal that of a Category One hurricane. Strong, warmth-inducing subsidence beneath powerful jet stream winds above the south flank of Thursday's storm are likely to propel Chicago temperatures into the low 90s, possibly producing the year's warmest temp. An even more extended spell of warm weather could be in place here by the middle of next week.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...m0605jun05,1,7999183.column?coll=chi-news-hed

Could be worse.
"How could it possibly be worse?!"
Could rain.

Upon further consideration, it is appearing I will not be arriving on Thursday.

you'll just have to go wedensday mike.

I'm still gunning on Thursday. If it's just wind--I can deal. I don't see any forecasts higher than 25 knots for Thursday.

I never make the go decision until about 1 hour before the flight. Until that point I keep preparing like I'm going. Most of the time I get out one way or another.

Last edited:
Mike obviously doesn't subscribe to EdFred's weather planning. I blame his overuse of Apple products.

Weather looks great for Nick and I Thursday.......... so far. Of course, I'd be happier if there was a prop hanging on the airplane............. but hey, there's still plenty of time for that ........:eek: 43 hours and counting.

Weather looks great for Nick and I Thursday.......... so far. Of course, I'd be happier if there was a prop hanging on the airplane............. but hey, there's still plenty of time for that ........:eek: 43 hours and counting.
No, bring your jet! :) LOL!

I'm stopping by Costco for a bag of limes and the Patron on Wednesday, so I KNOW you're coming!:drink:

Mike obviously doesn't subscribe to EdFred's weather planning. I blame his overuse of Apple products.

potential for a serious outbreak of severe, possibly tornadic t-storms over a wide area of the Nation's Heartland. A central pressure at that level would equal that of a Category One hurricane.

So you would go up and take a look? :dunno:

I'll be worried if I'm home under my concrete roof!

Surface winds looking pretty tough for Thursday.... if that's the same weather system that's rolling through SLC today, the winds are reported >25 kts.

Attachments

• Stiff_Winds.pdf
    191.9 KB · Views: 21
So you would go up and take a look? :dunno:

I'll be worried if I'm home under my concrete roof!

It's the NE side of the low that's bad. I just hope it slides far enough east that I am not fighting 40kt headwinds the whole way. I head for Indy Thursday afternoon, then onto Gaston's Friday morning.

I might launch as early as I can - and I always have delays, at least this time I won't have the hours of driving - on Thursday morning.

I could land into the wind at Flippen and hopefully get the car. I can move the plane later.

yea mike, really, looking at the forecasts, it doesnt look like tstorms will be that much of a worry. wind will be strong but oh well. you get up w/your CFI yet?

yea mike, really, looking at the forecasts, it doesnt look like tstorms will be that much of a worry. wind will be strong but oh well. you get up w/your CFI yet?

Yeah. We did grass landings. Thsoe were OK.

But, I got disoriented like never before - and I don't mean under the hood.

Just have the 9 and the 1 already dialed for me. :rolleyes:

(I DO have a PLB. Gotta update my contact information.)

I'm..getting...excited.

Tristan will be here via American Airlines at about 10 pm

That's a nice peice of safety equipment.

BTW, did you remember to update your address information with the FAA?:hairraise:

I did. They already had it. So did the IRS. So did my outside benefits vendor site - exactly the next day after I updated my address at work, even though they said it takes 15 days to verify.

I figure when you do a mail forwarding with the post office they get the tape...

Dem computers are watching me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's the NE side of the low that's bad. I just hope it slides far enough east that I am not fighting 40kt headwinds the whole way. I head for Indy Thursday afternoon, then onto Gaston's Friday morning.

Ed its not really a big deal there is a simple solution just follow the cyclonic curvature of the low. from 9D9 fly west along the northern side of the low over the Dakotas ( claiming your last state in the lower 480 then south through Wyoming and Colorado then in to Oklahoma and east into AR. The winds should whip you around the low like your getting shot out of a sling shot you'll have a wicked tail wind the entire way:yes:

actually, looking at the winds aloft it probably would be faster for ed to go west then south. jesse will be facing 40-50 knot headwinds heading south in front of that low on thursday

I might have to leave Indy Thursday to beat that cold front and the weather.

Back