Gaston's runway

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Would anyone be interested in making "scouting" runs into Gaston's now and then to give us updates on the runway conditions? I was planning to do that, but won't have time now before my long trip, and I may not have time when I get back. Any volunteers?

Besides, somebody needs to claim Gaston's for the ConUS Challenge. :)

My Mooney and I will be arriving at Gaston's no later than Wednesday evening (6/6) and I promised Diana that I would post a test sled runway surface report after my arrival. Unfortunately, I no longer have any sort of dial-up access capability. Does anyone remember/know if Gaston's has wireless internet access? From what point(s) on the resort?

My Mooney and I will be arriving at Gaston's no later than Wednesday evening (6/6) and I promised Diana that I would post a test sled runway surface report after my arrival. Unfortunately, I no longer have any sort of dial-up access capability. Does anyone remember/know if Gaston's has wireless internet access? From what point(s) on the resort?

Not wireless. Wired. (Until we get there.) Each room has an Ethernet cable that connects to a DSL modem.

It even works after an initial outage of a day or more when you convince the maintenance guys and the owner that you're actually not an idiot when it comes to computers.

We had a couple of River Valley Pilots Assoc. planes go in there in late April. All of their discussion was about the good time they had. They apparently didn't find anything about the runway to be remarkable.

Not wireless. Wired. (Until we get there.)
Thanks for the update; given this bit of news, wireless will be available beginning Wednesday evening, emanating from the ~4th cottage down from the lodge and remain so throughout the weekend. I will also post a runway surface report at some point early Wednesday evening.

Thanks for the update; given this bit of news, wireless will be available beginning Wednesday evening, emanating from the ~4th cottage down from the lodge and remain so throughout the weekend. I will also post a runway surface report at some point early Wednesday evening.

Grant and I tried from my cottage and his and it didn't work to the runway. I think we need an AP with a beam antenna.

Grant and I tried from my cottage and his and it didn't work to the runway. I think we need an AP with a beam antenna.
My cottage is across the street from the runway "headquarters". The wireless router I carry should have enough punch to make that distance but we'll see when I get there. Maybe we need 100' of Cat 5 cable and some duct tape to cover it across the road?:)

If we have electricity out on the runway, I can get us access out there...

If we have electricity out on the runway, I can get us access out there...

We'll have power out there. The outlets on the lights work when they're on and I'll bring my power supply/inverter. Somebody also knows about an outlet by the fuel pump.

We'll have power out there. The outlets on the lights work when they're on and I'll bring my power supply/inverter. Somebody also knows about an outlet by the fuel pump.

Can you bring an extension cord in case we need it?

jason wasnt there last year. i did get to see mike arrive though. ive never seen a Cherokee 235 taildragger before

Have you all steped back and read what you are posting? Cat 5, computers, wireless it is the weekend of fun time with planes and people. They might make pills for the problem. I bet a good RX would be a few hours of stick time.
John

amen john. the best thing about gastons last year was no cell phone, no email. borrowed a compute to check weather for the trip back.

For me, the only thing I'd use the computer for would be to check weather for the return trip, maybe to post pictures for all the people who aren't there.

I really can't see wiring up the flight line. More than half of the charm is a weekend away from technology. 2 years ago, a bunch of us sat around and did nothing. And it was everything I hoped it could be.

Only thing I want power for is the movie night.

It would be cool to have a live web cam... but that's beyond my limited abilities, as of now.

Have you all steped back and read what you are posting? Cat 5, computers, wireless it is the weekend of fun time with planes and people. They might make pills for the problem. I bet a good RX would be a few hours of stick time.
John

John,

I think the problem is that all these geeks get yoke time and not stick time. I think you need to give a few rides in the Super Cub and cure them of their ills. :yes:

(and you can re-cure me too! :D)

I am sick... so sick.

Please cure me.

I'm beginning to see the error of my ways.

*cough**cough*

Notice it's the Apple dorks who can't go without technology for a weekend. :)

What? I gotta stay away?

Is this like Monty Python's "Attacked with Fresh Fruit"?

Notice it's the Apple dorks who can't go without technology for a weekend. :)

Uhhh...

I see three people who've mentioned using tech for other than checking weather for the trip home:

1) Mike. Mac freak but uses both.
2) Jason. Uses both, argues against Apple a lot.
3) Ed. PC guy, as far as I can tell.

So, it looks pretty much neutral.

I'll have my laptop with, but probably as a "just in case we record a Pilotcast episode" type of thing.

Actually, maybe we'll have to tie Mike to one of his chairs 'til he finishes editing the episodes we already have in the can. :yes: :D

Oh, and the other thing I'll be doing with my laptop is making DVD's of us throwing Jesse in the river. :rofl:

2) Jason. Uses both, argues against Apple a lot.

1) I don't argue against Apple. I argue against Apple fanboyism. :yes:
2) I was just saying that I could get access out there...for checking weather on the way home.:D

Oh, and the other thing I'll be doing with my laptop is making DVD's of us throwing Jesse in the river. :rofl:

And Nick eating his words?

I have never brought my computer out onto the runway (or next to it). It's a fly in, not a XXXX-Con

My 'puter will be by the runway for Movie Night, only.

Not a runway report but a flying in Arkansas report. It was pretty much "flying in a milk bottle" this morning (Clarksville, Russellville area). Hope something blows this haze out before next weekend. RUE ASOS was reporting 6 miles but it was considerably worse around Clarksville.

Well, shucks, it was thus two years ago, and we still had a blast.

Bring it on!

Tom and I flew to Gaston's today to check out the runway and have lunch with Chip. The runway had just been mowed and seems plenty dry (they haven't had the torrential rains we've had here at the farm the past week) and fairly smooth.

Weather looks like a bit of a challenge on Fri and Sat. Slow moving frontal system on the Ark. LA border with rain on the AOPA surface charts. Lets hope that system moves through faster than predicted.

Best,

Dave

weather.com and .gov are only predicting 20-30% chance of tstorms dave.

Weather looks like a bit of a challenge on Fri and Sat. Slow moving frontal system on the Ark. LA border with rain on the AOPA surface charts. Lets hope that system moves through faster than predicted.

Best,

Dave

I would generally agree, but for those of us east of Gaston's it could make our plans difficult.

And those in Louisiana it sucks. Let hope it will get some speed on the frontal system. Weather kill me last weekend on the two places I tried to go.
John

They are only calling for scattered storms, typical MO/AR weather for this time of year. Just land and wait them out or fly around them, thats about all you can do.

Back