Gaston's procedure and safety review

Naw, it's called the "Braille One" Approach

Yes it does, but with all the rain we have been getting, there is no place for it to drain off to. We are going to need several nice warm sunny days for it to dry out.
Which..we'll probably get..Folks, All I'm saying, this is not the *FIRST* time we've been told its all way too soggy a few weeks before Gastons. It has always dried out.

I was there when the entire runway and parking area turned into a swimming pool. It took about 1.5 days to dry.

Dean made a good point in the Poker Run thread. Branson's new airport (KBBG, Class D) is just 5.8 nm south of Taney County (KPLK), one of the poker run airports. It's west of Gaston's, and best I can tell it's not yet on the Kansas City sectional... the current sectional expires June 4, 2009, so if you get a new one and have current charts, it might be on there.

But even if it isn't, BE AWARE!!

Tower freq is 128.15.

http://skyvector.com/#48-20-3-3204-3268

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBBG

Last edited:
One of my biggest Gaston's safety fears is that someone will try to come in over the trees instead of between them. Read what Tony says above, he is right on. If you go over the trees, you will NOT be able to stop before the end of the runway, not even close. And like he says elsewhere, if you wait too long to go around, you won't make it.

Not really.....

I flew the Baron over the trees with absolutely no issue.

It's about speed control (ground speed).

On my very first Gaston's arrival, I was intimidated by the whole "standard procedure" approach, so I flew it straight-in from over the ridge, and over the trees, and landed without difficulty (touched down further down, but did not have to brake aggressively).

There are those who have chosen to land with excessive speed. We remember them.

I've come in OVER the trees, and ended my usual roll-out right at parking;
I've come in through the trees and taxied 3 min to the end for parking; (so no one could see my bumpy landing)

Maybe I'll try to come in UNDER the trees this trip... NOT! LOL.

I remember flying with someone (who we'll call unnamed) that wanted to see if he could touchdown at the windsock and still stop on time. He did.

I always landed between the trees.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is where I plan to do aerobatics. I'll be on the Gaston's frequency.

Attachments

• Gastons acro map.jpg
    Gastons acro map.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 45
Here is where I plan to do aerobatics. I'll be on the Gaston's frequency.

...then, "there" is where I hope to be, in the Blue Crew Skiddoo, with you! :D

Typical IT guy's answer for any contemplated problem. You sure you didn't work in Dallas for a while?

Not quite. It would be, "we have a runway here by us that is perfectly fine."

....oh please oh please may I be on the list also?

And Diana, it's your turn in the Seneca. You've avoided it for FIVE YEARS.

Back