Gastons in a Nutshell (time-compressed audio from LiveATC feed)

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Here is Gastons in 24 minutes 30 seconds. It's all of Friday's audio with non-intelligible transmissions, static, and white space removed. I'll do the same with Saturday tomorrow, and it will be longer--there was a LOT of flying going on Saturday!!

It's an 8.41 MB MP3 audio file. Gastons 2009 Friday Radio Traffic.mp3 << Follow the link and then click the play button on the page, or the "download original" link.

If you don't want to download the entire thing, enjoy these three good snippets from it...

Attachments

• Poetry in Motion - 81Z.mp3
    126.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Score 10 Approach.mp3
    68.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Toenails.mp3
    211.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Wonderful, Now I'll be able to hear all the stupid things I said...

And we can vote on who has the best radio voice and transmission quality... I already have two favorites picked out.

I love it!!! The famous "toenail transmission"...I thought that was Spike asking me...but now it sounds like Steve...:cheerswine:

Well I know my main goof won't be on there. I was monitoring 122.8, but transmitting on another frequency. That's the second time that's happened to me because of a dead internal battery on the 430, but at least this time I have the excuse that I was hearing all the traffic just fine.:blush:

I love it!!! The famous "toenail transmission"...I thought that was Spike asking me...but now it sounds like Steve...:cheerswine:

I'm pretty sure it was Spike! I'm sure he will chime in here. Oh, and I've edited the first post with the link to the entire Friday file.

Say, Spike, at the beginning of this MP3 file, I'm sure there's gotta be a good story behind the "If anybody can find Doctor Dave, tell him I'm gonna kick his @$$" comment... you going to share!?

Troy, that's really excellent. Thanks for doing this! Lots of edit work.

Say, Spike, at the beginning of this MP3 file, I'm sure there's gotta be a good story behind the "If anybody can find Doctor Dave, tell him I'm gonna kick his @$$" comment... you going to share!?

Was that Dr. Dave making those first two "ATITAPA" requests? That might explain Spike's kick-ass comment. ;)

I told Dave to wake me up for the first flight in the morning, which he (of course) did not do. So his ass required kicking.

And yes, I asked the toenail question... :D

LOL! Thanks, Spike! I find it incredibly funny that the very first two items recorded were ATITAPA calls, without any editing on my part.

I beg your pardon, it was not!

Begging is good. Pardon granted. :D Did you get the basketball-sized part out the baseball-sized hole?

P.S.--Even if you DID say it, I know it would just be to raise the hairs on somebody who needed hair-raising...

Begging is good. Pardon granted. :D Did you get the basketball-sized part out the baseball-sized hole? P.S.--Even if you DID say it, I know it would just be to raise the hairs on somebody who needed hair-raising...

Honestly I do not partake of the phrase...I have other more pressing issues that get me wrapped around the axle than that particular one.

Yes the errant part is out, all 12 fittings removed and covered, all the ducts hoses wires brackets seat hardware lines etc out of the way too...and it is on a crs's bench at this time, waiting to justify a 2(new)AMU bill from the shop. :(
Lets see if they can live up to their turnaround promise. AOG! AOG!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the recording sounds like a Kazoo was involved.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the recording sounds like a Kazoo was involved.

The first few minutes of the audio were over-modulated as I tweaked the setup. Did you download the original file at the DivShare site, and listen to it locally on your computer, or did you just listen to it through their player?

One more thing--I noticed that all of the transmissions from Steve's ground-control handheld sounded fuzzy (kazoo-like, as you said), on both the recording using Spike's Sony Air8 radio, as well as when I was at the flight line on my Yaesu. That might be what you're hearing?? I'm sure if others experienced the same effect, as they seem to reply just fine to his queries and comments, but I had a hard time understanding the transmissions. I did leave them in the audio stream, however. Steve did a fantastic job and deserves to be "on the record". :yes:

Will post the Friday night bridesmaid flights and Saturday audio in one file later tonight. In the meantime, here are a few snippets for your enjoyment.

So who was the scream??! Bill, Ted, Jesse, Greg were all in the air, among others at the time it was recorded....

Attachments

• Avoiding Wet Spots.mp3
    50 KB · Views: 18
  • Climb and Confess.mp3
    24.8 KB · Views: 15
  • What Holds YOUR Nut On.mp3
    19 KB · Views: 13
  • I Have Rockets, Ed, You Better Watch Out.mp3
    23.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Something Illegal.mp3
    6.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Ed, The Birddog is on Your Six, Lock and Load.mp3
    24.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Birddog Coming Out of the Sun for Ed.mp3
    11.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Scream.mp3
    3.7 KB · Views: 18
Troy, about what time on the full recording was that scream? Pretty sure it wasn't me, but now I'm curious. :)

Here's another great snippet from Saturday--Jesse and Matt's flight of two as they form up and fly over the field. Not sure where I was, I never heard or saw it. Matt, you said there was a photographer on board. You have any pictures to share? FYI, you have a great radio voice! :yes: Sound like a fighter pilot--smooth, professional and in control.

Attachments

• Flight of Two - Matt S. and Jesse A.mp3
    275.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Can't Explain this to Coworkers.mp3
    14.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Here they are:
651.jpg

650.jpg

I was giving a ride to some spectator and his daughter at the time. He took a bunch of pictures of Matt -- I asked him to e-mail them to me but he never did :( It was his first time flying in a small plane and he received a hell of a flight. This was the most fun I had at Gastons -- the 140 is beautiful in the air.

Matt flew lead very well.

Last edited:
Here's installment 2 of 3: this large MP3 covers Friday night and Saturday, and is 1 hr 41 minutes long with non-stop Gastons radio chatter.

It's an 11.62 MB MP3 audio file.

http://www.divshare.com/download/7692485-c76 << Follow this link, and then click the play button on the page, OR click the "download original" button and save the MP3 file to your computer.

I was giving a ride to some spectator and his daughter at the time. He took a bunch of pictures of Matt -- I asked him to e-mail them to me but he never did :( It was his first time flying in a small plane and he received a hell of a flight. This was the most fun I had at Gastons -- the 140 is beautiful in the air.

Matt flew lead very well.

Nice pictures, Jesse! I hope that passenger comes through with the pictures of the 140 eventually.

omg Troy what a lot of editing work!
And,...thank you!

I used Audacity, and yes, editing Friday's audio was a lot of work. Editing Friday night/Saturday wasn't bad at all, because I found that their new BETA version (1.3.7) has a new option on the Effects menu called "Truncate Silence". You can set a dB threshold and minimum silence time. I picked -40dB and 500 milliseconds to get half-second gaps between all the audio, and it processed the 14 hour file into a 90 minute file in about 60 seconds. ;) All I did then was listen to it for quality and edit out (manually) any squelch breaks or really inaudible ground transmissions.

Here's installment 2 of 3: this large MP3 covers Friday night and Saturday, and is 1 hr 41 minutes long with non-stop Gastons radio chatter.

That reminds me: There was a BEAUTIFUL 182 there, N77GZ. Who was that? It's registered to "Aircraft Ownership Solutions" in Kokomo, IN. Had some Garmin toys in the panel, IIRC, and a paint job that made it look better than new - Blue on top, white underneath. Looks like it's a 1977.

Will post the Friday night bridesmaid flights and Saturday audio in one file later tonight. In the meantime, here are a few snippets for your enjoyment.

So who was the scream??! Bill, Ted, Jesse, Greg were all in the air, among others at the time it was recorded....

I think that was Spike on the handheld in my plane. (Only have pilot side PTT)

I think that was Spike on the handheld in my plane. (Only have pilot side PTT)

LOL! :rofl: :rofl:

He must have seen Matt coming out of the sun with those rockets ready to launch...

P.S.--It's fun to go back to post #21 and see which snippets people were most inclined to click on based on the name of the snippet--Scream got the most clicks. ;-)

Back