Gastons Departure Thread

I'm really disappointed that I will not be able to make the Flyin this year. I have been waiting all year for this and finished my flight plan. However, my plane was put in the shop today due to a carb issue. I have been to Gaston's many times and love it, but have never flew to a flyin at Gaston's. You guys have fun.

Hey, you could always drive. We did from Dubuque, about 13 hours.

Am still hoping to make the in/out for Sunday brunch, 10:00 a.m. with Susan. David, my IR student graduate will likely be there as well.....weather permitting.

Lots of deer on the road this morning when I was out biking. Look the the right of the telephone poles. It stayed as I went right by, but I didn't take another pic; was huffing and buffing up a hill <g>

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Deer at Gastons (Small).jpg
    Deer at Gastons (Small).jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 48
If anyone is still looking at this, Sue and I (and David and his spouse Susan) are dpearting 3MY at 0745 for 3M0 to join you all for brunch.....see you around 10:00!

If anyone is still looking at this, Sue and I (and David and his spouse Susan) are dpearting 3MY at 0745 for 3M0 to join you all for brunch.....see you around 10:00!

Can't wait to see you both!

They have your mug shot on the wall in the restaurant. You may want to eat somewhere else.

Tom and I are watching the weather here...might be a no-go for us. :(

From the NWS:

532 AM CDT SUN JUN 12 2011

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF THE MISSOURI
OZARKS AND EXTREME SOUTHEAST KANSAS.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

THE HAZARDOUS WEATHER RISK LEVEL IS...ELEVATED.

WEATHER HAZARDS EXPECTED...

ELEVATED LIGHTNING RISK.
ELEVATED HAIL RISK.
ELEVATED WIND RISK.
LIMITED RISK FOR TORNADOES.

DISCUSSION...

AREAS OF FOG WILL PERSIST THROUGH AT LEAST 9 AM THIS MORNING NEAR
THE TABLE ROCK LAKE AREA. THIS FOG WILL CAUSE VISIBILITIES TO FALL
DOWN TO AROUND ONE HALF OF A MILE AT TIMES.

STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON AND
TONIGHT OVER EXTREME SOUTHEAST KANSAS AND THE MISSOURI OZARKS.
LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS WILL BE THE PRIMARY HAZARDS WITH
THESE STORMS. HOWEVER...THERE WILL BE A LIMITED RISK FOR A TORNADO
OR TWO.

The fog over Table Rock Lake is one issue. Tornadoes are another...we're even more jumpy about tornadoes now.

Yep. Looks "interesting."

Spike, are you guys going to be able to get out before the storms arrive? It looks like it's LIFR at BPK.

Not too likely now... we'll watch, wait.

Mid-afternoon looks more likely. If. :D

As soon as the fog lifts, blow on out of there before the boomers start up!

Sue and Susan with nary a Susie between them! Hope you have a good flight Dr Chien.

I left on out because of the big line of boomers moving along to the southwest.

I flew, they (now) dissipated. Guess I guessed wrong. Sorry. :-(

Had a shout-out from Dr. Chien on Memphis Center as I headed south.

They've come; spread goodwill, and departed again.

I'm staying another night and seem to be the last one here.
Troy W. left before brunch as did Spike; Lynn, Troy Dodson; Jessie, Mike and Brooke all left right after lunch. Greg and Sharon left after we saw Bruce and Sue off.

Long drives for Greg and Mike

Great to see everyone.

Hope all have a good trip.

Dave

Last edited:
Lindsay and I landed safely back at 52F in NW DFW. Flew south to Hot Springs for fuel, then on home. Weather was VFR the whole route, ten miles vis in haze, except for some marginal VFR in the wilderness area just north of KHOT.

Was great seeing everyone! My family driving home is now in Oklahoma, five hours to home.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I left after brunch, grabbed fuel at Mountain home. Stopped at Diana's farm on the way back for some visiting then continued on home. VFR the whole way with a smooth ride. Not leaving until after brunch does me good yet again.

Batting clean up; only one plane here this evening.

Dave

Attachments

• Baron at Gastons.jpg
    Baron at Gastons.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 44
Home also! In my jammies, first load of laundry going, and now looking through photos. :D 34Q is back in the hospital, but everything else worked out well! Weather, flying, and having fun with friends! We stopped for lunch in Festus, MO to see a friend and share an airport meal of hot dogs, chips, and ice cream and also got to use the 2,200' runway just for the fun of it. I think I have my friend convinced that after he gets his private certificate, he needs to buy his very own PIPER product. :yes:

Last edited:

Attachments

• Jesse 1 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    Jesse 1 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    292 KB · Views: 52
  • Jesse 2 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    Jesse 2 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Jesse 3 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    Jesse 3 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Jesse 4 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    Jesse 4 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Jesse 5 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    Jesse 5 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 40
Just made it back to Raleigh/Durham.

OK, Brook... you know what comes next... photography triage!! :D I know you have all of the best photos. iPod photos just aren't the same. Send me what you have when you get the time! I have the scrapbook to work on this week! :yes:

Let us know when you are home... you're the last one back to the barn this year!

Made it back to Dubuque at a tad past 10PM. I guess Mapquest is fairly accurate after all.

In what way is 34Q ill?

Ugh... sometime between getting to Gaston's and leaving again, my transponder decided to take a permanent vacation. I'm also getting a message from my GNS 430 telling me that it isn't getting any altitude information! It appeared to be working intermittently during the weekend, but then ATC was never able to see me on my return flight from KBPK to KFES. :mad2: It was in annual during the last half of May and also was through the avionics shop at KBMI for background noise in both COMM radios. So, who knows. I'm grateful that the weather turned out to be wonderful yesterday afternoon so I could get it back to KBMI with as little drama as possible. Still waiting on them to call me today.

Last edited:
Ugh... sometime between getting to Gaston's and leaving again, my transponder decided to take a permanent vacation. I'm also getting a message from my GNS 430 telling me that it isn't getting any altitude information! It appeared to be working intermittently during the weekend, but then ATC was never able to see me on my return flight from KBPK to KFES. :mad2: It was in annual during the last half of May and also was through the avionics shop at KBMI for background noise in both COMM radios. So, who knows. I'm grateful that the weather turned out to be wonderful yesterday afternoon so I could get it back to KBMI with as little drama as possible. Still waiting on them to call me today.

Ugh, indeed. Hope it's a simple fix, like a loose connector.

Flight Aware shows Dave's Baron is enroute home now. Last bird to leave the grass nest.

I gotta book a room midway on the trips. The last 45 minutes figuring out which road of two I saw was the one to drive on was pretty rough. Home at 11:40PM, which is almost exactly the same as last year. At least I got home on the same day.

Hillary and I got home a little after 7:00PM on Sunday after making two stops. We were a few minutes away from the resort when we realized we had not checked out, so we drove back and made checkout by about a minute.

I had a really nice time, very glad to have spent the weekend with all of you!

Glad you and Jake made it home Mike. =)

:D Funny how he wagged his tail with vigor when realized that all the old smells at home were familiar.

Every year I forget that one more thing I need to bring in right away is the leftover sausages. It was still cool when I retrieved the cooler this afternoon.

Glad everyone made it home okay. After dropping Brooke off at Adams Field I drove across town and checked into Embassy Suites for the night. Let them treat me like royalty and streeeetched completely out on the king sized bed after taking a nice WARM :D shower.

After having their awesome breakfast Monday morning I set out for Fort Worth. Hate Dallas side of town and reached it in time for rush hour (and temps of 102°). Crossing the reservoir, I find it more than mere coincidence that Highway to Hell was playing on the radio.

Back