Gaston's BEVERAGES!

sshekels

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott Shekels
Ok, forget the food thread (Sorry Diana), what about good beverages?

I'm not sure how many states will be represented at Gaston's, but it might be fun to bring an interesting beer or wine from your home area for others to sample! (for those of us _hoping_ to arrive on Sat.)

When we travel, we ALWAYS make a point of checking out the local flavors. Sometimes they are kind of gnarly, but its always a great treat and fun.

This also could expand to other treats - Laurie and I got hooked on crawdads in New Orleans, and now our kids love them too! Introducing them was tricky, but the subterfuge worked and now its one of their favorite "treats!"

I'll start - Summit beer from St. Paul. (We're kind of short on good vintners.) Maybe Walleye?

LOL! Hmm, interesting....

[size=+2]crawdad[/size] [size=-1]SYLLABICATION:[/size]craw·dad[size=-1]PRONUNCIATION:[/size] krô
prime.gif
d
abreve.gif
d
lprime.gif
[size=-1]NOUN:[/size]Chiefly Southern & Western U.S. See crayfish (sense 1). [size=-1]ETYMOLOGY:[/size]craw(fish) + dad.

Who says "crayfish?" Icky! :)

wsuffa said:
mudbug. Otherwise known as tails.

Scott, looks like we're back to the food again! :rofl:

OK, I'll bring some Moosehead beer from my Missouri frig. :D

Now, I can't drink late cause I plan to get up at the "crack" and wake everyone up with the sound of my O-320 echoing throughout the river valley as I take off for an early morning flight. :dance:

Diana said:
Now, I can't drink late cause I plan to get up at the "crack" and wake everyone up with the sound of my O-320 echoing throughout the river valley as I take off for an early morning flight. :dance:

Forget the food and drinks, someone bring a 5/8" sparkplug socket!

Drinks - for me water or juice will be fine. I've been pop-free (soda or soft drinks for those of you not in Michigan or Wisconsin) for 3 weeks, and alcohol-free since November

sshekels said:
I'll start - Summit beer from St. Paul. (We're kind of short on good vintners.) Maybe Walleye?
:)
Forget the walleye, if you want gnarly flavor, bring 'em some lutefisk! :hairraise:

terry (maybe next year....)

Oh man, I can't keep up with these Gaston's threads. I will be happy to bring some Blue Point beer from Long Island. What happens to beer when you're flying at high altitude? Will it still taste good?

Toby said:
Oh man, I can't keep up with these Gaston's threads. I will be happy to bring some Blue Point beer from Long Island. What happens to beer when you're flying at high altitude? Will it still taste good?

You should not be drinking beer when flying at ANY altitude!!!!

:rofl:

Hmmm...anyone else gonna do this, because I could get my hands on some of the local beers here. I don't particularly like them, but then again, I only drink Coors Light.

gibbons said:
So Nick, you don't drink beer?

Young pups, they'll learn!

Too bad Chattanooga doesn't have any local bottled beer. Maybe I'll go bring a case of Moonpies and some Little Debbies (both made here) :goofy:

Toby said:
Oh man, I can't keep up with these Gaston's threads.

Nor can I. I'm thinking I need to call Gastons about a Friday night stay, I have the plane from noon on Friday, I should take a half day and get there early.

So many people to meet, sooo many landings to judge :target:

Dang, I wish our club insurance didn't have a clause against landing on non-paved runways. :(

Bill Jennings said:
Maybe I'll go bring a case of Moonpies and some Little Debbies (both made here) :goofy:
They sound good, whatever they are!

Diana, what do you think about setting out a regional "buffet" on Saturday night so everyone can sample all different foods and drinks from around the country? (No cooking required.)

Bill Jennings said:
Dang, I wish our club insurance didn't have a clause against landing on non-paved runways. :(

That's the reason the world created renters insurance and placed wash racks at paved airports...:)

Bill, if you're going to bring Moon Pies then you have to bring some RC Cola to wash them down with. So says Brother Dave.
Ron

L10MAN said:
Bill, if you're going to bring Moon Pies then you have to bring some RC Cola to wash them down with. So says Brother Dave.
Ron

True, but can RC still be found???

When I lived in New Hampshire, a lot of people were really big on Moxie. I thought it was the most disgusting taste in the world. Some people love Moxie - not me! Maybe someone can bring some of that so we can see if I'm alone in the disgust. We can't get it here in ABQ.

N2212R said:
We've got RC here in Michigan.

Why, thank you, Ed, for volunteering the RC. Pack as much as you can, I'll have a 50 count case of original Moonpies.

Toby said:
Diana, what do you think about setting out a regional "buffet" on Saturday night so everyone can sample all different foods and drinks from around the country? (No cooking required.)

OK, as long as I don't have to cook or clean or organize anything or do ANYTHING at all but FLY. :)

Then again, how hard would it be to sample Moonpies and Little Debbies? ;)

Diana said:
OK, as long as I don't have to cook or clean or organize anything or do ANYTHING at all but FLY. :)

Then again, how hard would it be to sample Moonpies and Little Debbies? ;)
I'll take care of it!

Bill Jennings said:
Why, thank you, Ed, for volunteering the RC. Pack as much as you can, I'll have a 50 count case of original Moonpies.

If I make it - which is weather dependant, and lodging dependent I will load up the plane with RC Cola! 2L bottles or 12oz cans? Can't find glass bottles any more.

umm, no. I lead a sheltered life in AZ....

See, my idea was a good one! If for nothing else, than I get a moonpie!

NickDBrennan said:
When I lived in New Hampshire, a lot of people were really big on Moxie. I thought it was the most disgusting taste in the world. Some people love Moxie - not me! Maybe someone can bring some of that so we can see if I'm alone in the disgust. We can't get it here in ABQ.

Nick:

Check out http://travel.mainetoday.com/fromaway/050502.shtml

Specifically, the 2nd feature in the article. Frank Anicetti is a contact of mine; I've done aerial shots of his location. As Colleen notes, just about everything in his store is MOXIE . He is known as "Mr. Moxie"; and was the prime organizer of the annual Moxie Days Festival which draws crowds from far across this country and some from abroad. Frank will ship Moxie to wherever you want it shipped. Hard to believe, but the stuff he ships to everywhere is mind-bending.

HR

Moonpies eh. Had em when I lived in VA. to close to a little Debbie to get excited about. Now if you want an awesome Southern treat bring a few boxes of Goo Goo clusters from Tennessee. Bill you must have had them being a Vol.

Lawreston said:
Nick:

Check out http://travel.mainetoday.com/fromaway/050502.shtml

Specifically, the 2nd feature in the article. Frank Anicetti is a contact of mine; I've done aerial shots of his location. As Colleen notes, just about everything in his store is MOXIE . He is known as "Mr. Moxie"; and was the prime organizer of the annual Moxie Days Festival which draws crowds from far across this country and some from abroad. Frank will ship Moxie to wherever you want it shipped. Hard to believe, but the stuff he ships to everywhere is mind-bending.

HR

why would anyone go out of their way to consume Moxie?

yegh!

Interesting story there tho.

Back