Gaston's Awards

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
Following is a recap of the awards given to all our illustrious pilots this past weekend at Gaston's, for those of you who weren't able to be there or who left before Sunday brunch. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to reproduce Steve's entertaining and generous comments. Use your imagination.

If any of you are thinking about trying for any of these awards next year, forget about it. All of the categories are going to be different.

By the way, let's hear some ideas for a name for these awards so we don't have to use the generic term "awards." We have the Oscars, the Emmys, the Tonys.....is there some aviator you'd like to celebrate?

Drum roll, please.

The Best Landing Award went to Rick McKinney

The Best Effort Award went to Bob Bement for flying from Oregon to Gaston's and back

The Youngest Pilot and Newest Pilot Awards both went to Rudy Belew, along with an inspiring rendition of "Happy Birthday"

The Good Grandpa Award went to Jim Belew for mentoring his grandson, Rudy

The Most Indirect Routing Award went to Mark Bell, who flew from Jefferson City, MO, to Las Vegas to meet up with Michael Driggs and Nick DeBrennan so he could fly back into Gaston's

The Funny Plane in the Sky Award went to Chip Gibbons, along with a CFI video on teaching successful landings and retaining students

The Second Longest Flight Terminating at Gaston's Award went to Michael Driggs

The Last-Minute Ballast Award went to Scott Shekels, who with his wife and two daughters added some weight to Lance Fisher's airplane

The Rumored to Have Flown In Award went to Barry Stratton, who landed at Mountain Home

The Most Enthusiastic Pilot Award went to Bill Jennings, who seems to be in every photograph :)

The Leadership Award for Keeping All the Termites Holding Hands Award went to Dave Taylor and his Viking

The Furriest Passenger Award went to Ron Levy, who brought Duke, who still doesn't remember me (sniff)

The Most Obvious Attempt to Demonstrate Airmanship and Safety In an Approach to Landing with a Recognized Safety Expert on Board Award went to Bruce Chien

The Most Expert On Board Observer During the Most Obvious Attempt to Demonstrate Airmanship and Safety In an Approach to Landing Award went to Ken Ibold

The Snazzy Sunglasses Award went to Ed Frederick

The Highest Quantity of Beer Award went to Eamon Mackenzie, and we have the photos to prove it

The Longest Distance without Stopping to Pee Award went to Carol Theiler

The Ugliest Legs Award went this year to Ed Guthrie

The Lowest Average Altitude Award went to Bill Coltharp

The Smoothest Excuse for Not Landing Here Award went to Bill Suffa

The Craftsmanship Award went to Brad Snodgrass, who built his RV8A himself over four years

The Fake Avatar Award went to Spike Cutler, who I will never trust again

The Award for Flying the Airplane that Brought the Woman Who Brought the Hors D'Oeuvres went to Lance Flynn (and they were delicious)

The Best Save Award went to Greg Bockelman

The Award for Entering the Pattern for a Nonexistent Runway Award went to Kent Shook

The Spirit Award for Teamwork went to Michael Driggs, Nick DeBrennan, and Mark Bell

The Biggest Plane Award went to Lance Fisher

The Gutsy Woman Pilot Awards went to all the female pilots at Gastons: Diana Richards, Fran Levy, Carol Theiler, Mary See, Linda Coltharp, Carol Hays, and Toby Speed (and the prizes were bottles of slut red nail polish to match Carol Theiler's Commanche)

The Grand Poobah Award for Extraordinary Ground Ops went to Steve See

And, last but not least, the Hospitality Award went to Tom and Diana Richards

Congratulations, one and all!

Last edited:
Toby said:
By the way, let's hear some ideas for a name for these awards so we don't have to use the generic term "awards." We have the Oscars, the Emmys, the Tonys.....is there some aviator you'd like to celebrate?
Chip's idea is to call them "Gibbies"

I was hoping to win a prize for the lowest landing score (-9) therefore beating Chip once again at something. ;)

Ken Ibold said:
Chip's idea is to call them "Gibbies"
Ken,
First you see if the idea floats, and only THEN do you attempt to take full credit for it. You've got a lot to learn about management.

My own original idea :) is to tall them Toby's. "And the Toby this year for most regs busted over a two day period goes to....." Somehow it just sounds right.

Toby said:
The Spirit Award for Teamwork went to Michael Driggs, Nick DeBrennan, and Mark Bell

I can't speak for the others, but I'm touched! Thank you!!

no big deal - but the name is actually Nick D. Brennan - I've been called worse tho :)

Toby said:

The Fake Avatar Award went to Spike Cutler, who I will never trust again

Toby, if I promise to actually *produce* the Hot Australian Boy (that'd be my nephew) next time, can I work my way out of the dungeon?

Not that I was there. Wish I were. Perhaps I can share a ride from SE PA next year. How about calling the Awards " Wilburs" or "Orvilles". Wilbur sounds a bit better to me. And the Wilbur for almost ground looping goes to ...... Sounds good!

gibbons said:
My own original idea :) is to call them Toby's.
:)

More ideas, anyone? All entries will automatically receive 10 Gaston's commemorative pencils in the mail.

Steve said:
One minor correction.

K Shook actually won the "Arriving in the Murkiest Murk" award, not the "Non-Existent Runway" award. When Kent arrived and overflew the airport to downwind late in the afternoon the base paint on his plane blended so well with the background sky that it looked like three tires and an "N" number entering the pattern.
Oops. I was typing from our notes. Sorry, Kent.

NickDBrennan said:
I can't speak for the others, but I'm touched! Thank you!!

no big deal - but the name is actually Nick D. Brennan - I've been called worse tho :)
Sorry 'bout that, Nick!

SCCutler said:
Toby, if I promise to actually *produce* the Hot Australian Boy (that'd be my nephew) next time, can I work my way out of the dungeon?
Throw in a little something chocolate, and we'll see. No guarantees. ;)

I like to sound of either the Toby or the Wilbur awards. These two have the best ring to me so far.

Toby said:
:)

More ideas, anyone? All entries will automatically receive 10 Gaston's commemorative pencils in the mail.

Moon Pie?

Steve said:
K Shook actually won the "Arriving in the Murkiest Murk" award, not the "Non-Existent Runway" award. When Kent arrived and overflew the airport to downwind late in the afternoon the base paint on his plane blended so well with the background sky that it looked like three tires and an "N" number entering the pattern.

LOL! Thanks Steve. I thought we had corrected the misconception that I called some random runway number. I was the guy who said I'd do the inverted low pass you requested next year. That is, *if* I am flying in a plane capable of such a maneuver! Not likely. :no:

And that was some murky murk. It ended up getting even worse for my trip to Houston, though... Good thing they cleared me into the bravo, 'cuz I don't think I had 3 miles any more for part of my time in the bravo. I'm also thankful for the Garmin 430 - The only navaid on the field at EFD is a TACAN, I somehow managed to leave my Texas plates at home (not rated anyway :no:), and I couldn't see the field until I was on final about 3-4 miles out. :hairraise:

Next year I think I'll have to make my traffic calls as "Goodyear 271G" or maybe "Michelin 271G". :rofl:

Bob Bement said:
I like to sound of either the Toby or the Wilbur awards. These two have the best ring to me so far.

The Wilbies?

The Orvies?

Here's my idea....

The Gasties!

All pencils can be mailed to

Nick Brennan
12901 Bryce Ct. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87112

LOL!!! Just kidding. But I do like the name "Gasties," almost as much as I like the name "Tobys."

"The chiggers" for the bugs that are crawling through my flesh as I write this. Something they failed to mention on the welcome package :)

AdamZ said:
How about calling the Awards " Wilburs" or "Orvilles".
That's an idea. My first thought actually was to call them Amelias.

Toby said:
That's an idea. My first thought actually was to call them Amelias.

Yeah, but she got lost and died!! :hairraise:

If you want to name them after an aviatrix, how bout calling them the Jackies.:)

I think we're getting closer. It should be something that evokes a strong association with our Gaston's fly-in. Could be something obscure....heat, thirst, moon pies, a zillion kinds of beer, white fog on the river, low passes, judging paddles, all those airplanes parked together and just as glad to see each other as we were.....

Maybe something that ends in the "ee" sound, as that sounds best. It will come to us.

Ken Ibold said:
Well, we could also name it after the sparkplug responsible, and call them the Richards Awards.
Ken, that is so sweet! :)

It would be the award for the person who gave airplane rides to the most people. :yes:

Diana said:
It would be the award for the person who gave airplane rides to the most people. :yes:

Knowing you, I thought that would be the award for being the person who got the most rides in other peoples planes. :D

Richards Awards is my vote since you're the one responsible for getting this going in the first place.

Toby said:
...all those airplanes parked together and just as glad to see each other as we were...

I guess it's just one of those things, either you've got "it," or you haven't, and that's what makes a writer. Now, I have to go out and find a Toby-book, just to see how you bring other things (potatos?) to life.

From just that little clause, in my mind's eye, I see all those planes in the Gaston's parking area, chatting and scheming among themselves, while we weren't looking... and each one has his or her persona; Ron's feisty, scrappy Cheeger, Greg's 190 being kind of elder-statesperson-like, Chip's slick and polished Extra, Eamon's street-smart 182 (and animated, it'd have to have Eamon's accent, too), and (of course) all the Citabria's being like a litter of mischievous pups, with Citabluberria, the ring-leader ...

...to evoke a scene with just a few words. Too much fun.

And no, I am not taking any medication.

Hey, you wrote a book about spuds, why not planes? :rolleyes:

Toby said:
...heat, thirst, moon pies, a zillion kinds of beer, white fog on the river, low passes, judging paddles, all those airplanes parked together and just as glad to see each other as we were.....
Speaking of heat, whatever happened to the football game?

Jeez, could you imagine how many ambulances they would have needed if we'd tried to play football in that?

Very imaginative, Spike. Thanks. I'll let it percolate for a while.

Email or private message me with your mailing address, and I'll send you a book. They're all in the library, but not in the stores anymore.

Toby said:
Very imaginative, Spike. Thanks. I'll let it percolate for a while.

Great ideas. Toby, right a kid's book about airplanes. That way their soccer mom, mothers can't demonize "those little planes". Please make sure they all file flight plans. :)

How about the DiaTom awards. For Diana and Tom Richards. Just another idea.:dunno:

I tend to lean towards the Toby or the DiaTom!

Slinky said:

Would that make Twin Oaks "DiaTomaceous Earth"?

Slinky said:
Hey, those are some good names! :D

Part of the awards committee may not be at Gaston's this year, so I'm just glad I'm not in charge of that. :) Actually, I'm not sure if anyone is in charge of anything anymore. Oh, except Ken Ibold is in charge of Tequila. :p

SCCutler said:
Would that make Twin Oaks "DiaTomaceous Earth"?
Oh, my. Just for that you have to come to Twin Oaks and find out! :D

Toby said:
Email or private message me with your mailing address, and I'll send you a book. They're all in the library, but not in the stores anymore.

Found some at Amazon.....I think its time for an order. I got one of Judy's books, but I may have to get a degree in geology before I can understand all of it. :)

Diana said:
Oh, my. Just for that you have to come to Twin Oaks and find out! :D

...you know I will, one-a-these days!

And, I always arrive bearing chocolate.

Back