Gaston's and Fly Fishing

Shipoke

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
shipoke
anyone going to gastons that fly fishes? I want to try it but not alone,went out today and got some gear that i need ,and am looking for somene that will help me learn the ins and out. Thanks Dave G.

You know, Dave, for a few $$$ the guides at Gaston's will throw the fish in your boat .... :)

I flyfish but won't make it to Gaston's this year.

Steve's guide suggestion is actually a great way to start. The right guide will teach anything you want to know. It costs some bucks but is a great way to both catch fish and learn how to cast. The two don't necessarily happen at the same time at first. ;)

I'll be fishing, but not fly. I just never got into fly fishing. I am bringing my fishing pole with me. I'll stand there and watch you wade out and fly fish tho, while I'm standing on the shore picking up all the fish. :D

SkyHog said:
I'll be fishing, but not fly. I just never got into fly fishing. I am bringing my fishing pole with me. I'll stand there and watch you wade out and fly fish tho, while I'm standing on the shore picking up all the fish. :D
I can cast a flyline from anywhere you can cast a spin rod. The wading is more for convenience. It's not required.

Shipoke said:
anyone going to gastons that fly fishes? I want to try it but not alone,went out today and got some gear that i need ,and am looking for somene that will help me learn the ins and out. Thanks Dave G.

Dave, I'll go. I have a fly fishing "how to" book I bought two Xmas back. I'll let you read it. IIRC, the starting point was a piece of bright colored yarn tied on as a pseudo "fly" and practice casting on the front lawn until you can lay out the line without whip cracking the "fly" off the line. As you can tell, it is an interest but I haven't had the right motivation spike. Teaming up for Gaston's would be a good motivation.

If you want a guide or boat at Gastons, make a reservation early. They typically are not available if you try to set it up the day before.

Ken Ibold said:
If you want a guide or boat at Gastons, make a reservation early. They typically are not available if you try to set it up the day before.
On my "scouting" expedition to Gaston's last month, I found out about another guide that might be available if Gaston's is booked. One of their customer's told me that Gaston's recommended this company to those who couldn't schedule with them. The lady told me that her family loves to use this guy and they enjoyed eating the meal he fixes on the shore for their lunch. The boats are bigger, so they can get their whole family together on one boat.

http://www.famousfloats.com/

I asked my business partner about fly fishing at Gaston's. He fishes the White River quite a bit. His response:

flyfishingguy said:
Gaston's is very good fishing. Great fly fishing. Better than down river. The farther you go down river the worse the fly fishing. It's just a little crowded for me.

The novice should get a guide.

If you plan to use a guide don't forget your check book.

Chip

Michael said:
These are arkansas fish were talkin bout here dave. If you just kindly ask them to hop in the boat, they will.

Michael...how do they do that? What do you say to the fish..."Here fishy fishy fishy?" :rofl:

I'll bring my 12gauge blast into the river from the bank. We'll have lunch in a few minutes then we can get back to flying.:hairraise: Seriously the fishing sounds fun.

Ken Ibold said:
Fly overhead and drop the dynamite?
Kind of hard to do Ken i fly a Warrior, till i light it and get it out the little window i'd probably blow myself up. :yes: Dave :blueplane:

Boy, now I really wish I was going. I've fly fished for years for everything from Large Mouth Bass to Atlantic Salmon. Built my own rod from scratch - a graphite rod. Tie all my own flies!

Back