Garmin Webinar: course reversals - hold in lieu of a PT

Skyknight320

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Skyknight320

In the Garmin webinar at time 26:20 in the video, course reversals - hold in lieu of a PT, they have a red line drawn on the approach chart with the words Optional to the right of this line. The video narrator says anywhere to the right of this line, the course reversal is optional, however unless you are flying from one of the IAF that specify NoPT, you are required to do the reversal. The exception is if ATC tells you cleared straight in for the approach. At least that is my understanding of it or is Garmin correct?

garmin-webinar.png

The NoPT is from either IAF BUYAV or OGROE to FEKEM so just as I thought not the entire area on the right side of the red line.

I was ready to rip this guy a new one, but I'm going to assume he means that the Garmin software allows you to "optionally" include the PT when coming from the NoPT area.

In the Garmin webinar at time 26:20 in the video, course reversals - hold in lieu of a PT, they have a red line drawn on the approach chart with the words Optional to the right of this line. The video narrator says anywhere to the right of this line, the course reversal is optional, however unless you are flying from one of the IAF that specify NoPT, you are required to do the reversal. The exception is if ATC tells you cleared straight in for the approach. At least that is my understanding of it or is Garmin correct?

View attachment 98964
The guy in the video was misleading when he said it was optional from the right side of the line. It is not. ATC including 'straight in' with the Approach Clearance is not a thing with TAA Approaches like this one. If arrive at FEKUM from within the NoPT Sector, you must go straight in unless you request and get approval to do the HILPT. If you do, the Garmin whichever whizbox that is, allows you to enter the HILPT. If it wasn't a TAA Approach, things would be different. Then you must do the HILPT regardless of which direction you would have arrived at FEKUM from unless you get 'straight in' with the Clearance. Same thing about the whizbox allowing you to enter the HILPT or not I'm sure still applies. Which Garmin G whatever was that?

Thank you. This is useful. Hold in lieu of a PT is extremely rare here in Canada (usually just when you need a shuttle descent around high terrain), and I'll need to know more about it before I resume flying to the U.S. after the border reopens.

Little fun fact I discovered flying a practice approach with my Garmin 175. In addition to the two "T" IAF's, there was a hilpt at the final approach course fix of the approach I was flying. Rather than intercept and fly the "T" no pt, I decided it would be easier to shortcut and fly the hold, so rather than change the approach in the GPS, I just flew direct to the approach course IAF and added a hold to the flightplan, thinking it would fly the hold "as charted". It doesn't. it'll fly the hold, but you still need to define the radials from the fix.

All in all, it's easier just to load a new approach.

Back