Garmin Store opens in Chicago

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Anyone see this yet? it was on the AOPA Members page, here is a little snippet form the article.
[FONT=HELVETICA,ARIAL]Garmin opens first retail store[/FONT]

...the company is extending its presence in the consumer electronics market in a big way with the opening of its first retail store on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Erie Street in downtown Chicago. .....-snip---

Also, the store features a 35-seat auditorium in which the company plans to host seminars for pilots on a variety of topics
Too bad Garmin picked such a non-aviation friendly city :(

BTW I think this is ok per our copyright guidelines as it is a press release.

Last edited:
smigaldi said:
BTW I think this is ok per our copyright guidelines as it is a press release.

better be or you'll lose that merit badge! :)

the question is, is the Respect Copyrights merit badge image copyrighted (edit: trademarked?)? because if so, you are violating the copyright by having it in your avatar! :)

Hmmm... last night I overheard as a guy was getting congratulated on getting a job working for Garmin at a new store.

I think that's the former Sony showroom store. It's a huge store for Michigan Avenue, if they use all 3-4 floors. Even the Apple store isn't as big.

I dunno how Garmin can sustain a store if Sony, which has a MUCH broader product base, didn't think it was worth it.

Last edited:
The Sony store was cool. Granted, I didn't buy anything, but it was still fun. Plus there's a great Chinese place down the street.

mikea said:
I dunno how Garmin can sustain a store if Sony, which has a MUCH broader product base, didn't think it was worth it.

They can't. The consumer products companies open these locations as an extension of their marketing, not part of a real retail strategy.

Sam Doolittle said:
They can't. The consumer products companies open these locations as an extension of their marketing, not part of a real retail strategy.
I think the Apple retail stores are a pretty good profit center. It helps that most retailers don't (can't?) discount Apple products. Only third party product can be found for maybe 20% less online.

Back