Garmin Pilot vs Foreflight

Don't spoil your PPL training. Don't spoil your IR training. Use paper.

That being said, Fltplan.com has a pretty good free one for flight planning purposes.

I have both garmin pilot and foreflight, I like garmin pilot better for vfr nav and planning, I like foreflight better for use as an IFR supplemental and for approach plates.

I'm in the camp that one needs to demonstrate proficiency with the "old school" way (paper charts, manual E6B) before brining out the modern stuff. However, I wouldn't eliminate modern tools from training. People need to train for how they will do things in real life. Part of training is learning how to use something like an iPad in the cockpit as a positive resource. Used incorrectly, it can be a big distraction.

I use electronic charts, electronic E6B and such, but if you asked me to use a paper chart, plotter, pencil and manual E6B I could... would just take longer.

I'm in the camp that one needs to demonstrate proficiency with the "old school" way (paper charts, manual E6B) before brining out the modern stuff. However, I wouldn't eliminate modern tools from training. People need to train for how they will do things in real life. Part of training is learning how to use something like an iPad in the cockpit as a positive resource. Used incorrectly, it can be a big distraction.

I use electronic charts, electronic E6B and such, but if you asked me to use a paper chart, plotter, pencil and manual E6B I could... would just take longer.
Yep. I don't think anyone is arguing no electronics in the cockpit. You must first demonstrate that you can plan an X country without the fancy equipment and magenta line then go back it up with an iPad or app.

I worked with my CFI and we started allowing the tablet during the cross countries. First with dual and him helping out with load management. He knew I would use it when I am on my own so he helped me during no those times to understand when and when not to look at it. I use foreflight and prefer its interface to pilot. I also have a flight stream in my stack and have a subscription to both and will let pilot expire. I had both waiting on foreflight to be able to update active flight plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest frustration with foreflight is the iPhone version. I don't use it while flying but I wish I had the full functionality on it (saving documents/plates, etc). I'm up for renewal soon and will probably be looking to see what the other apps have to offer.

I wish FF worked the same on the iPad as the iPhone.

I worked with my CFI and we started allowing the tablet during the cross countries. First with dual and him helping out with load management. He knew I would use it when I am on my own so he helped me during no those times to understand when and when not to look at it. I use foreflight and prefer its interface to pilot. I also have a flight stream in my stack and have a subscription to both and will let pilot expire. I had both waiting on foreflight to be able to update active flight plans.

I let my students use iPads as well. But you can be sure they know how to navigate without it. If you can navigate and plan without one that's fine. It's the over reliance that isn't okay. Again no one is advocating we should get rid of apps and tablets. If you scrub your flight because you don't know how to navigate without your iPad then that is a problem.

You could use an abacus, if your instructor won't "allow" electrons. Maybe you can find a CFI who "allows" a calculator, and work your way up from there?

I'm betting if your iPad battery died someday, you'd probably figure out time, distance, and wind effects. We keep the paper TAC and Sectional in the airplane, but none of us use them; sure nit gonna haul multiple Sectionals and IFR charts x-country. . .

For which software to use, a friend and I have done side-by-side compares, alternating safety pilot and PIC, just to get an idea. Honestly, they both work well, and we really haven't come up with a reason to pick on over the other.

/snark
will i have to hand prop the plane on the checkride? since the DPE is an examiner and to be treated as a passenger (not a copilot nor instructor), does having them manage the throttle and brakes while i handprop fulfil the requirement to have a qualified pilot at the controls?

/snark

Just kidding and thanks for all of the input. I will probably split the middle and get through my first solo CC with paper charts and when i feel I've mastered them, start mixing an EFB in for my future flights so that I can build proficiency and have a place to ask questions about it before i'm out on my own flying around.

I was leaning GP before this conversation, but now am very interested in the flyQ after watching a few of those videos.

Android phone in your pocket (which you are going to carry anyways) with Garmin Pilot, lots faster, and more accurate. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Cheers

Not me - I have a couple of iThingies loaded with a bunch of aviation apps, which I collect as a hobby. An older Android's fine as a backup but it spends its time in a drawer these days.

Agreed that FF, Pilot, et al are much faster for flight planning. My point is that for quick and dirty enroute diversions the E6B is fine, particularly in a bouncy aircraft. For everything else automate it. If you see me on the flight line I will have a bag full of gizmos. Lack of gizmos, however, should not be a grounding condition.

I like Garmin Pilot. Much better UI (user interface). Can't go wrong with either though, I tried them both. At 13 hours though, this isn't the question you should be asking yourself. I know all of the fancy gadgetry is fascinating and play around with it in your spare time, but I wouldn't buy either app until you have more xc time under your training belt.

FWIW, my instructor wouldn't let me use them either - UNTIL I mastered the foundational/old school way. Then, he trained me on the ipad use as well. One of my last XC's, he had me plan out on the ipad, and mid-flight, took the ipad away... :)

One of my last XC's, he had me plan out on the ipad, and mid-flight, took the ipad away... :)

Which is exactly how they work IRL.

iPads will quit without warning when they overheat, or with little warning when the battery gets low.

My previous tablet went TU, permanently, as I was enroute to LA airspace.

iPads will quit without warning when they overheat, or with little warning when the battery gets low.

Mine went temporarily dead enroute to Oshkosh this year. Fortunately a factory reset at our unexpected overnight fixed it, but shortly after I had to RMA it as it got worse.

I fly with the iPad mini 3 and an iPad 1 as a back up. I like Foreflight, it's easy and the customer service is the best if you have a question or a problem.

Which is why I carry my full-size iPad (I use the iPad mini as my primary) and I have my iPhone. Two repeat two back ups to my primary navigation system.

And… I also have the VORs in the airplane (which I do know how to use) the panel mounted GPS in the airplane (which I do know how to use) and paper charts (which I do know how to use).

But the iPad is primary.

I downloaded Garmin Pilot yesterday after playing with ForeFlight for months. Here's my summary:

GP for use in-flight
FF for planning

GP interface is fast and easy to get the relevant details needed. That really impressed me. I'll keep playing though.

God this stuff is fun!

tahnks! good persepective. I'll wait for now. I guess I'll buy new charts because mine just expired again. My theory was post checkride to have the 430, tablet as a backup (fuel price checker/etc) and then have paper charts (even if a bit out of date) in my flight bag as a third line of defense.

I guess i'll just play with GP at home until the trial ends and then wait until checkride passed to buy one of them.

So to the original question, if i'm a PP-ASEL in 4 months, talk to me about the apps, bearing in mind i'll still have a 430W in the plane.

I simply subscribe to the charts I want from Sporty's. Not the cheapest way to go, but I always have the current charts in my flight bag. SEA TAC, SEA Sectional and a couple Low Altitude Enroute charts. Then there's the envelope that arrives from Jeppesen every other week for the approach plates.

I like Foreflight over the Garmin Pilot. They both use a different form of logic in their organization. One is not better than the other, just different. I have noticed that engineers and people who like the android phones seem to gravitate more toward the Garmin products and that people who like the Apple iPhone seem to use Foreflight. This is just an observation.

If you are going with an iPad you have this option. Android and Foreflight isn't an option. I use GP not because I'm an engineer (which I am) but because my tablet is Android, so it's the only realistic option.

All this said, I don't mess with GP when flying. I have enough in the cockpit to keep me happily occupied, between flying the plane, keeping track of where I am (and how that is done depends on which club plane I'm flying, only one has a GPS in the panel), communicating with ATC, etc. I keep the appropriate Low Altitude Enroute in my lap and my wife typically has the sectional in hers.

For flight planning I log onto Duats and let it crunch the numbers. When I was a student pilot I did it by hand, but once that check ride was in the rear view mirror I let the computer handle the busy work. But I've already planned where I'm going and by what route, the web site is just crunching the numbers. Used that for the IR ride and the DPE was fine with it.

One other reason to have paper. It doesn't depend on batteries or electronics. I've had both fail and I like having something lower tech. Remember, see how your six pack instruments are powered. DG and AI are all off the vacuum system and your turn coordinator is (typically) an electric gyro. Why? So if one power source quits you still have enough to keep the plane upright, even in the clouds. I don't like single points of failure that bring everything to a screeching halt. But you have to learn all this and as a student pilot you are still very much in that learning mode. Keep it simple and add toys later on.

Best of luck with your training and have fun. We'll get some better flying weather here in the Pacific Northwe(s)t eventually. :yes:

Also, Garmin Pilot includes a logbook which senses times and airports. I assumed it'd be only a matter of time until FF did same. Now they have, but for an additional $25/yr. Point Garmin.

Back