Garmin Pilot not Auto-Logging

birdus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Williams
Auto-logging isn't auto-logging. I have auto-logging turned on. I thought the problem might be that it was on the shelf behind the seat and therefore the GPS receiver was blocked by the aluminum roof, so I put it on the dashboard today. Still no dice. What am I missing?

EDIT: I have a new iPad Pro with cellular.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:
Do you have the iPad setup to let Garmin Pilot use your location at all times?

Do you have the iPad setup to let Garmin Pilot use your location at all times?

Yes. It has bugged me several times about that, and I keep answering "Yes" to allow it to use my location at all times. I'll double check it, though.

App running and screen on? Mine never has an issue, sitting on my leg. Maybe double check settings.

Do other gps based apps work.

App running and screen on? Mine never has an issue, sitting on my leg. Maybe double check settings.

Now that's an interesting question. I assumed that since it was just in sleep mode (i.e., not powered off), it would automagically work. Is that not the case? Do I need to turn it on, log in, and make Pilot the active app? Sounds like I may have just made a wrong assumption. I just took it out of my flight bag and threw it in the plane (I'm not using it right now in my flying, since I'm just starting my PPL training). Next time, I'll try this.

Thanks!
Jay

So, apparently, having the iPad in sleep mode and having Garmin Pilot running in the background isn't adequate for auto-log to work. Today, I turned the iPad on and brought Garmin Pilot to the fore, and auto-logging worked perfectly! Thanks for the help!

I think there's an FAA rule that bans mixing little tailwheel airplanes with microprocessor based technology. You are going to get nailed on a ramp check if you keep this up. ;)

Back