Garmin Pilot MyCast iPad/iPhone FREE

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Someone tipped me off that Garmin's Pilot MyCast is currently free in the Apple App Store right now.

No idea why, but I snagged a copy.

It's got an awful lot of Foreflight's feature-set, for $0. I hope it's not a sign that Garmin's wiling to do yet another loss-leader to crush their competition.

No GPS tracking/moving map though, AFAIK. Just about everything else though, including A/FD courtesy of AOPA, flight plan filing, better RADAR weather and the rest.

Maybe not charts either, but approach plates yes. Haven't figured it all out yet. Not as intuitive as Foreflight, UI-wise.

Someone tipped me off that Garmin's Pilot MyCast is currently free in the Apple App Store right now.

No idea why, but I snagged a copy.

I did too... Might as well check it out, eh?

It's got an awful lot of Foreflight's feature-set, for $0. I hope it's not a sign that Garmin's wiling to do yet another loss-leader to crush their competition.

It's missing most of the stuff that's important to me.

No GPS tracking/moving map though, AFAIK. Just about everything else though, including A/FD courtesy of AOPA, flight plan filing, better RADAR weather and the rest.

Maybe not charts either, but approach plates yes. Haven't figured it all out yet. Not as intuitive as Foreflight, UI-wise.

It doesn't appear that you can download the sectional charts for use in-flight.

It's all crashy on my iPad too. It took me 10 minutes to get the first two crashes, but now I'm trying to find out if it has plates and I can't hardly even load the airport page without it crashing. (And I still haven't found plates - What was it downloading when I selected Wisconsin anyway?)

There are some nice things about it - I kind of like the split-screen view in portrait orientation. But it's not even comparable to ForeFlight, IMHO.

The app itself is free and seems useful, but they mention a $9.99/mo subscription in the description. Does installing/running the app imply consent to the subscription fee?

I use Pilot MyCast for android for about a year now. I have payed $99 one time fee for the lifetime subscription.
If it comes to the weather I can hardly imagine better software for android. I also own WingX I like their approach plates and FAR, but as far as weather information I would prefer MyCast

Kent: The plates are in the little airport symbol, top right.

In only 15 minutes of playing I crashed it too.

I noticed a few things right off in comparison to ForeFlight...

RADAR WX overlaid on charts. Nice.

ETE/ETA seems to be available on that little slider thingy along the course/timeline. That's nice. If it were to give them in GPS/flight mode, that'd be even nicer.

Split screen view thing is nice, but still not done quite right. Want to pull up A/FD data while not fully "leaving" the flying/map screen in-flight.

U.S. Surface Analysis maps seem to have been forgotten in WX screen. Canada is there. Ha.

Canadian / Mexican weather info is interesting if you needed those. I don't. Other international weather stuff is interesting too but again, not useful to me. Maybe others though.

The Weather overlay setting is wicked cool. Wind barbs on the chart, or sky coverage, or whatever you like. Nothing even close to that in FF. AIRMET data overlaid is neat-o too.

PIREP depiction on charts is WICKED cool! They nailed that one. Graphic for what kind of weather/etc, poke at it and read the PIREP right on the chart.

Same thing with TFR airspace depiction. Nice.

No regular airspace depiction though. Looks like that's still the differentiator between ChartCase and all the rest until you buy a handheld or panel mount Garmin. Nobody has airspace depicted other than them yet, in 3D.

Winds aloft is also nifty but that slider would be difficult in turbulence maybe.

This thing seems to have a lot going for it. I'm curious which important features you think it's missing Kent vs Foreflight.

Downloading offline charts does seem to be one of them. Can't really tell if it's caching them though. Zoom way out and in and it seems to download more.

The A/FD seems to rival Foreflight or be equal, including fuel prices.

The map may or may not work in-flight. So that's a show-stopper there.

But when the map has Net access, the weather module looks the same as Foreflight with the aforementioned missing Surface Analysis charts but a ton more International charts, RADAR, etc. And the weather overlays on the main chart are wicked cool. Way better than Foreflight right now, as they have no overlays at all.

Filing flight plans looks similar, but you have to choose your DUATS(S) provider and probably don't get the fancy e-mail confirmations from Foreflight's servers. I like that service they do. The Flight Planning NavLog is way nicer than FF. If they would put a Print button on that screen, it'd be great.

No IFR Enroute charts. Bah. FF wins on that one.

Random other thoughts. Not well though out...

As far as those weather overlays go, FF has overlays but not over aviation charts. They overlay on a road map. (Uhhh... ok...)

Airport diagrams are easier to get to in FF.

Obviously if the price on the Garmin thing goes back to $9.95 or whatever a month. It's not worth it until they make sure charts are downloaded.

About 30 min with it and no crashes. I bet the crashes are when it's downloading and refreshing stuff in the background. No downloading today, seemed stable.

Pretty impressive for a free trial. Anyone know how long it'll last?

Bummer. The iPhone version doesn't seem to do sectionals.

Kent: The plates are in the little airport symbol, top right.

Can't get that to work. Even after rebooting the iPad, when I tap the airport symbol, I can count one... two... CRASH. Every single time. Fail.

RADAR WX overlaid on charts. Nice.

Honestly, when I took my first look at the Great Lakes region today with that turned on, I didn't see any weather. Then when I flipped it over to the brown basemap, I saw that there was snow over Lake Michigan and Lake Superior and light rain over near the appalachians. It blends into the sectional WAY too well. :nono:

ETE/ETA seems to be available on that little slider thingy along the course/timeline.

What I like is the ability to pull up METARs and airport info for airports along a route of flight with the slider. I've got mine set with three widgets on the bottom right now, METAR, Airports->Freq, and Airports->Runways. On a long flight, though, it's kind of hard to get it to select a particular airport as they're all too close together on the slider. What would be really cool is if it would use your location to "zoom" the bar a little bit, so that it would be easier to select the airports closest to you. Say, for example, that roughly 1/3 of the bar would be used to select the 15-20 nearest airports, and the rest could be put into the rest of the bar proportionally.

Split screen view thing is nice, but still not done quite right. Want to pull up A/FD data while not fully "leaving" the flying/map screen in-flight.

You can get some with the Airports widget.

U.S. Surface Analysis maps seem to have been forgotten in WX screen. Canada is there. Ha.

Oops!

The Weather overlay setting is wicked cool. Wind barbs on the chart, or sky coverage, or whatever you like. Nothing even close to that in FF. AIRMET data overlaid is neat-o too.

I still think this is kind of a gimmick. When you're looking at weather data like this, generally you are on a "big picture" view, where the chart is useless and can only serve to confuse (see my comments on radar above). FF lets you have maps of all that data, but it's on an easy-to-read white basemap with enough detail that you can still tell where you're looking at and where the weather is, while not masking things - The weather data is very clear on FF.

The wind barbs, etc. I have no complaint with, they're easily distinguishable from the rest. But still, the chart is zoomed out so far when I'm looking at the weather that it's basically useless. If you're looking at an area that doesn't have distinguishing features (such as the great lakes, large cities, the Rockies, etc) it's more difficult to see exactly where things are than it is with a plain basemap.

PIREP depiction on charts is WICKED cool! They nailed that one. Graphic for what kind of weather/etc, poke at it and read the PIREP right on the chart.

That's fairly well done, until you zoom in - The PIREP symbols actually seem to get smaller when you zoom in?!? I zoomed in on one to see where exactly the report was, and the symbol pretty much disappeared in amongst all the obstruction symbols.

This thing seems to have a lot going for it. I'm curious which important features you think it's missing Kent vs Foreflight.

Downloadable sectional and enroute charts. That's why I got ForeFlight to begin with. PMC is pulling them off the internet as I view them, so it's worthless in flight.

It's also super-crashy, and much slower than ForeFlight. I'm spending a lot of time waiting for it to respond to touches. Bad UX.

The A/FD seems to rival Foreflight or be equal, including fuel prices.

Except that I have only been able to get it to work ONCE for more than two seconds before crashing. :dunno:

Filing flight plans looks similar, but you have to choose your DUATS(S) provider and probably don't get the fancy e-mail confirmations from Foreflight's servers. I like that service they do. The Flight Planning NavLog is way nicer than FF. If they would put a Print button on that screen, it'd be great.

Nav log? Where? :dunno: Must be under that pesky Airport screen?

That's my only other gripe is that they try to do too much with very small icons that have no text so it's not nearly as easy to use.

On the plus side, I can save wear and tear on my home button by just going to the airports tab and waiting a couple of seconds for the crash. :D

If it's too good to be true, it probably is a lie. Thanks to the OP, it was useful while it lasted. Now mine doesnt work and is hitting me up for a subscription. I guess they deserve a chance to try to make a buck, but I'll be deleting mine.

Back