Garmin Pilot coming with Euro coverage. Game changer.

stratobee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
stratobee
According to AvWeb it was announced at Friedrichshaven.

I've always been a staunch ForeFlight user and supporter, but frankly, this is something they've always been weak at. They still have no Mexico cover and the Canadian cover was very late in coming.

As much as I want to stay true to ForeFlight, if they don't implement this in the future, I will have to change. My international flying will increase a lot in the future and it's simply a killer app to have everything in one and be able to bypass tired old companies like Jeppesen. Garmin is pulling ahead in this regard.

The priority should be to get VFR and IFR coverage worldwide. Today, in this day and age, there is no comprehensible VFR map system that covers the world. Not online, not printed, not electronic. Whoever can create that and implement it as an app, will be the one to rule them all. Looks like Garmin has understood this and has their eyes on Jepp's IFR business.

While I have yet to fly outside of the US, I can see how this would be a significant issue.

Like you, I am a big fan of Foreflight. I like supporting the little guy. Especially in this case where the little guy has led the market. However, as I sit here contemplating buying a ADSB receiver for weather so I can cancel XM, Its hard not to notice some of the features that Garmin pilot features has (synthetic vision).

Yeah, Garmin is making inroads.

What do people use when they go VFR to Puerto Rico, Bahamas and the Carribbean today? You buy printed VFR charts for that? Jeppesen?

Back