Garmin Pilot app 50% off from Sportys

Trying to get people tied in before the Bendix King app hits the store.

Also $50 through garmin app. I bought the monthly subscription to try it out. Looks like a good time to upgrade!

I got 6 months with the purchase of the Garmin GLO. So I'll be set for a while

probably garbage compared to foreflight. IMO I am convinced that from g1000 and up garmin is great, but all those vfr handhelds are pretty much overpriced junk that for practical purposes can be replaced with an ipad.

Its nowhere near 1/2 the market. The IPAd has close to 70% of the market and climbing.

And with the mini IPad, hopefully coming out in October. 7" screen will be perfect for foreflight (or garmin).

Sure, but Foreflight missed 1/2 the market by not doing anything for those who are running Android

Last edited:
Fair enough. But then I'll rephrase. It's an app for those of us who can see right thru the evil empire of Apple and Steve Jobs.

Evil empire or not Apple makes a much better product.

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver
According to who? Personal preference doesn't make it so.

According to the huge market share that the IPad has.
The numbers speak for themselves.

Sorry Ron, market share doesn't necessarily come from having the better product. It usually comes from better marketing (Beta/VHS is a pretty good example). And in the phone/tablet world, hire cool people to bless the product as "hip" and it's game over. A 10" Android has at least as good a screen, a built in, accurate GPS, open source, your mp3s belong to you, doesn't overheat, etc., etc., etc. I think Avilution's AviationMaps is fantastic, same as the Garmin Pilot. Won't be long before others realize that Android tablets offer significant savings and benefits over the ipad even with limited Android software, and then, the new software will follow.

My MP3s belong to me they are DRM free from Apple, have been for a long time. There is only one benefit using Android over Apple and thats the open source nature of the software, thats it. Apple products function 10 times more smooth, are less buggy and are more reliable because they are not open source.

Oh and my iPad doesnt overheat either. And it has a built in accurate GPS, and it has a much more reliable track record in aviation than any other modern tablet.

The only tab that has gained any steam besides the iPad is Galaxy tab. I have yet to meet somebody who has used it for anything aviation related and not returned it.

Sorry Ron, market share doesn't necessarily come from having the better product. It usually comes from better marketing (Beta/VHS is a pretty good example). And in the phone/tablet world, hire cool people to bless the product as "hip" and it's game over. A 10" Android has at least as good a screen, a built in, accurate GPS, open source, your mp3s belong to you, doesn't overheat, etc., etc., etc. I think Avilution's AviationMaps is fantastic, same as the Garmin Pilot. Won't be long before others realize that Android tablets offer significant savings and benefits over the ipad even with limited Android software, and then, the new software will follow.

Exactly. Just because a company has tons of money to throw at marketing to make you think their product is the best product, doesn't mean it is. Couple that with the close minded, one way thinking that leads the company and their software, and its not a company I can support. Everything that the hipsters would have you believe Apple is about, is 100% opposite to how they run their company.

Additionally, the ability to purchase an entire setup for less than 1/2 the cost of an iPad is what drove me towards the Lenovo tablet I use.

Why not? I was thinking of switching over and I assumed it was comparable to foreflight.

Its not a bad app. I just feel like it isn't fully baked yet. To be honest I love the UI of the Garmin GNS 4 and 5 series units. I feel like the latest VFR GPS software from Garmin is too icon rich and cluttered. This has carried over into their iPad/Android software. Foreflight is more feature rich and friendly to me than the Garmin app. Plus when it isn't discounted, its 25 more a year for the standard subscription than Foreflight.

I was going to subscribe to Garmin but I really didn't like the amount of scrolling you had to do to display all the information. Foreflight has much more info on one screen where as Garmin reminds me of WingX, a bunch of customizable windows and screens to scroll through.

Additionally, the ability to purchase an entire setup for less than 1/2 the cost of an iPad is what drove me towards the Lenovo tablet I use.

Not sure which Lenovo tab you have, but the one I see is 350 for the 16 gig, thats not less than half the cost of the same size iPad model. In fact you can get a refurb 16gig iPad 2 for that.

Not sure which Lenovo tab you have, but the one I see is 350 for the 16 gig, thats not less than half the cost of the same size iPad model. In fact you can get a refurb 16gig iPad 2 for that.

Lenovo A1107, $200, brand new. Toss in the $100 for the Garmin GLO, and I'm in $300 bucks, and have a much better GPS setup than a stock iPad. The cheapest, GPS in the box iPad, starts at $529, even if you go the external GPS route, you are looking at $400.

But hey, you've made it clear, you are an Apple fanboy. I don't deal with Apple fanboys, because all they can do is tell you how much better their device is, without giving specific reasons.

Additionally, back to the original topic. How can you say that the Garmin App isn't worth it, if you haven't used it?

Call me a fanboy all you want. The iPad has been proven in the aviation industry and approved by several companies. Zero Android devices can say this. And you a clearly making claims you cannot back up. Prove to me your external GPS out performs my iPads internal GPS. Mine seems to work fine in the flight levels, down low, fast or slow without error. That and it's not another accessory I have to attach, it's built in. Your Lenovo has half ass features even compared to the iPad 2. I think its funny how the anti Apple people can trwist things around in their head that they have an inferior product yet call Apples products crappy.

Keep telling yourself that. :)

Call me a fanboy all you want. The iPad has been proven in the aviation industry and approved by several companies. Zero Android devices can say this. And you a clearly making claims you cannot back up. Prove to me your external GPS out performs my iPads internal GPS. Mine seems to work fine in the flight levels, down low, fast or slow without error. That and it's not another accessory I have to attach, it's built in. Your Lenovo has half ass features even compared to the iPad 2. I think its funny how the anti Apple people can trwist things around in their head that they have an inferior product yet call Apples products crappy.

You have yet to point out how the Android product is inferior, other than spouting off on ad-hominem attacks. Have you ever considered that not everyone has $500+ to go drop on a tablet? Or that people prefer something other than what you do?

So, please point out the "half ass" features of my tablet.

While I agree that for flying, iPad is great, but for everything else, it's trash. I own iPad 2, and after it got in my way too many times, I picked up Asus Transformer Prime and only thing that my iPad does is ForeFlight.

iPad, while a great hardware device has serious deficiency with operating system that will name make it a good tablet for work. Think of scenario like this.

You need to confirm your domain for Google Apps. That requires that you copy/paste some text, put it in a notepad, save as .html file and upload it via FTP to a site. Can't do it.

Back in December I was in Memphis for training. During my first day there, I hurt my leg, so I was more or less hotel-bound for most of the time. Local TV sucked, internet speed made Netflix unwatchable. I had a portable hdd with some TV shows and a laptop. Thanks to iOS "one computer sync only" I was not able to take those movies and throw them on the iPad, because my main PC I sync to is at home. There are few apps that will let you do wireless upload, but due to wifi security there, it was impossible. With android, it's as easy as popping in a memory card, or simply drag and drop to the device.

So there you go. These are just few "half ass" features of your tablet. This is the reason I won't touch it for anything other than Foreflight and Cloud Ahoy. Plus with Apple's lawsuit-happy ass, where they patent items that clearly had prior art, I am unlikely to give Apple another dime willingly (yea, I know 30% of my ForeFlight subscription goes to them, but I do not have a choice there)

Ok, the .3 mp camera is the only camera on board your tablet . It has half the ram of the iPad 3, a single core processor. Not to mention no option for cellular connectivity. Also a lesser quality screen. And the iPad has a huge following of aftermarket products, and thousands more applications.

You have yet to point out how the Android product is inferior, other than spouting off on ad-hominem attacks. Have you ever considered that not everyone has $500+ to go drop on a tablet? Or that people prefer something other than what you do?

So, please point out the "half ass" features of my tablet.

I guess "inferior" depends on what you expect the device to do. The Apple platform is overwhelmingly preferred by developers, I believe for a number of reasons, but one of them is certainly the horribly fragmented Android installed base.

Anyone who thinks that Apple has the market share because of marketing hasn't been paying attention to marketing of mobile devices. Apple has done their fair share, but it's been dwarfed by Android handset manufacturers and carriers, who would rather sell higher-margin Android devices over the Apple products.

JKG

Ok, the .3 mp camera is the only camera on board your tablet . It has half the ram of the iPad 3, a single core processor. Not to mention no option for cellular connectivity. Also a lesser quality screen. And the iPad has a huge following of aftermarket products, and thousands more applications.

wait, what?

RAM:
iPad 2 = 512mb
Transformer = 1gb

CPU:
iPad 2 = Dual core
Transformer = 5 cores (4 primary, 1 for small tasks)

Screen
iPad 2 = IPS, 1024 × 768
Transformer = 10.1" LED Backlit screen with Super IPS+ (1280 x 800)

Camera (back)
iPad 2 = 0.92mpix. Yes, that's less than ONE MEGAPIXEL. No flash
Transformer = 8mpix. With flash

Camera (front)
iPad 2 = 0.3mpix
Transformer = 1.2mpix

Cellular connectivity = Got me there. But I have free wifi hotspot app on my phone, so it's not important to me.

More Apple Kool-Aid?

Do I need a camera to use the device as a moving map display, no. Do you need a ton of ram, no. Do I need cellular connectivity, no. Do I need that Retina display to look at charts, no.

Otherwise, I don't see your point. I bought the thing to be a cost effective EFB. Not an entertainment device, camera, cell phone or anything else. I've got a 4G phone, also android, that if needed, I can hotspot to the tablet. Additionally, I have a laptop that I use for entertainment.

Long and short is, a iPad isn't the only solution, nor should anyone automatically trash a "lessor" product because of what the perceived needs are.

While I agree that for flying, iPad is great, but for everything else, it's trash. I own iPad 2, and after it got in my way too many times, I picked up Asus Transformer Prime and only thing that my iPad does is ForeFlight.

iPad, while a great hardware device has serious deficiency with operating system that will name make it a good tablet for work. Think of scenario like this.

You need to confirm your domain for Google Apps. That requires that you copy/paste some text, put it in a notepad, save as .html file and upload it via FTP to a site. Can't do it.

Back in December I was in Memphis for training. During my first day there, I hurt my leg, so I was more or less hotel-bound for most of the time. Local TV sucked, internet speed made Netflix unwatchable. I had a portable hdd with some TV shows and a laptop. Thanks to iOS "one computer sync only" I was not able to take those movies and throw them on the iPad, because my main PC I sync to is at home. There are few apps that will let you do wireless upload, but due to wifi security there, it was impossible. With android, it's as easy as popping in a memory card, or simply drag and drop to the device.

So there you go. These are just few "half ass" features of your tablet. This is the reason I won't touch it for anything other than Foreflight and Cloud Ahoy. Plus with Apple's lawsuit-happy ass, where they patent items that clearly had prior art, I am unlikely to give Apple another dime willingly (yea, I know 30% of my ForeFlight subscription goes to them, but I do not have a choice there)

Regarding using the iPad for work, I guess I'm one step ahead of you, because my workever almost never leaves my home office, even when I travel out of town. I use the iPad for almost everything, but I do not do everything locally on the iPad. However, it's far easier to carry the iPad (and a Bluetooth keyboard) than a laptop, and with the cellular iPad, I always have access to my work PC.

Apple sues to protect their IP, it's as simple as that. When you pour significant investment into R&D and protect your inventions under the law, you have to be prepared to defend those inventions. It's no accident that after the launch of the iPhone and iPad, the market was flooded with lookalike products running Android. Google basically admitted recently that they ripped off some of Apple's most popular and patented features, arguing that those features have come into such widespread use as to be de facto industry standards which should not be subject to strict IP protection. No one had an iPhone nor an iPad type of product before those products were introduced, and the products on the market didn't function like the iPhone or iPad. If other companies were so good at inventing their own IP, theyd be using instead of ripping off Apple's.

JKG

So, let's forget about notification system that was stolen from Android, and also let's forget iPad design patent, that has prior art.

If Apple would actually took all the money they spend on legal BS and threw it into R&D, maybe they will regain some of the market share lost to Android. Currently, there are 2 android phones for every iphone. And with iOS 6, there's not a single feature there that was not a catch-up to android.

Forgot to add.

LG Prada. Released in 2006, before iPhone. Looks a LOT like iPhone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada

From the page: Woo-Young Kwak, head of LG Mobile Handset R&D Center, said at a press conference, “We consider that Apple copied the Prada phone after the design was unveiled when it was presented in the iF Design Award and won the prize in September 2006

As for iPad, how about that ruling in UK where Apple would be forced to post an apology on their own website for 6 months, saying that Samsung did not copy iPad. Oh, and iPad looks very similar to Knight Ridder tablet from 1994. which should make the design patent invalid due to prior art.

http://unleashthephones.com/2012/03/30/knight-ridder-tablet-from-1994-beat-the-ipad-to-the-punch/

So, let's forget about notification system that was stolen from Android, and also let's forget iPad design patent, that has prior art.

If Apple would actually took all the money they spend on legal BS and threw it into R&D, maybe they will regain some of the market share lost to Android. Currently, there are 2 android phones for every iphone. And with iOS 6, there's not a single feature there that was not a catch-up to android.

Where was the "prior art" design of the iPad?

Apple iOS is the market share leader at the moment, with the aforementioned tablet market share being a key driver. The only reason that Android has gained market share is that Google was able to rip off many of Apple's most desirable features and essentially give them away. With tablet sales on the upswing and the iPad the runway market leader, Apple has momentum in their favor at the moment.

With regard to lawsuits, you don't seem to understand how intellectual property works. If you have legally protected IP, you are REQUIRED to litigate to protect the IP in court, or you could essentially end up forfeiting that IP. Apple has spent billions in R&D developing their mobile platforms.

The reality is that Apple has brought to market revolutionary devices that didn't exist before, and folks have voted with their wallets and decided that they like Apple's devices better. That's why they've had such explosive growth of marketshare.

The idea that folks are stupid and bamboozled by slick Apple marketing into dumping tons of money into junk Apple products year after year is laughable. Personally, I don't pay attention to any of Apple's marketing and REALLY dislike the uber-congestion of the Apple Stores. And, I'm cheap. I could buy two Android phones for the price of a single iPhone. However, I haven't found an Android device that can do what iOS can do as well as iOS can do it. It isn't just the features, it's how well they all work, and how well they all work together. Apple is a master of execution when it comes to integration.

I'm sure that Apple was prepared for folks to rip off their stuff, because that pretty much happens in every industry. If there's a hot car design, for example, all of a sudden every manufacturer has a car that mimics it. I don't think that Apple expected Eric Schmidt, who was Google's CEO and sat on Apple's board during most of the development of the iPhone, to be the one to do it. I suspect that is the open wound with Google.

With all of that being said, this thread has drifted way off topic. Even though I presently favor iOS, there's something about the concept of cross platform applications that is appealing to me. If I would change mobile platforms in the future, I wouldn't necessarily have to change applications, and that could be huge. Garmin Pilot and WingX are both cross platform, though from what I've heard, have somewhat limited features on Android. As I've said in other threads, I think that Garmin Pilot could be a ForeFlight challenger or killer IF Garmin is committed to making it one. Right now, it's hard to say. ForeFlight is still the king for utility and execution as an inflight reference platform.

JKG

probably garbage compared to foreflight. IMO I am convinced that from g1000 and up garmin is great, but all those vfr handhelds are pretty much overpriced junk that for practical purposes can be replaced with an ipad.

The G1000 has a significant problem. Got WAAS?

Back