Garmin Pilot adds Engine Monitoring

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Well that’s a long term game changer. Monitoring and logging to Garmin’s web server via the Flightstream products.

Very limited right now, but should have seen that change coming.

Doesn’t work in many aircraft yet, but I wonder how hard that one has ForeFlight scrambling to find another “exclusive partner” deal with an engine monitor company?

Speaking of that, why haven’t the independent engine monitor companies already done this to a dedicated tablet app?

@denverpilot ... Any chance you have a link to the announcement?

why haven’t the independent engine monitor companies already done this to a dedicated tablet app?

Excellent question. And while monitors like the JPI 830 we recently installed doesn't have BT as a native item, it does have a USB port. Shouldn't be that difficult to provide a firmware upgrade that would make use of the very small BT transmitters that plug into the USB in order to communicate to an app.

I have been with FF since the beginning and never once thought about switching.

Until now.

If this is any good, I could see me switching.

...don't you have to have the Garmin TXi products as well to make this work? I don't think it works with just any engine monitor...although that would be sweet!

...don't you have to have the Garmin TXi products as well to make this work? I don't think it works with just any engine monitor...although that would be sweet!

TXi or G1000 the press release says. Yes, a very limited start. And I won’t expect Garmin to do much with third party engine monitors until ForeFlight catches up, unless they want to crush ForeFlight with it.

If they’re paying any attention to where they *should* go with this, they should be signing deals with third party engine monitoring companies for exclusivity, and writing a communications standard for them to code to.

They now have a significant head start on this. Whether they use it or squander it, is up to them.

Well that’s a long term game changer. Monitoring and logging to Garmin’s web server via the Flightstream products.

Very limited right now, but should have seen that change coming.

Doesn’t work in many aircraft yet, but I wonder how hard that one has ForeFlight scrambling to find another “exclusive partner” deal with an engine monitor company?

Speaking of that, why haven’t the independent engine monitor companies already done this to a dedicated tablet app?

I ran across this a while back. At the time they didn't have a twin engine solution. I no longer have a twin so that's no longer a barrier for me. Seems like a great product if it works as advertised. Engine, GPS and other data to an iPad MFD.

https://www.guardianavionics.com/smartplane-flight-data-mfd-system

Does it work with the G3X?

Didn’t see it in the list, but you could go check the press release and the website. I wasn’t looking for it, considering I saw it was stuff I don’t own.

Mostly I was interested in the fact that someone finally did it. Engine data to the tablet and archive of same. That’s a big deal, if they get it working with lots of engine data systems.

AFAIK there’s no consistent API for engine data, so they should standardize it and publish it before someone else does just to get a standard created. First to publish probably wins on that one. Offer “free licensing” to the standard and retain the IP rights, just like telecom manufacturers do. Then you get to say you created the standard in all of your marketing wonk material.

This would be a nice backup for my G3X system. With GP talking to my G3X I have a backup display for flight instruments but nothing for engine instruments. The info is already there, it just hasn’t been included in the bluetooth share.

Last edited:
Didn’t see it in the list, but you could go check the press release and the website. I wasn’t looking for it, considering I saw it was stuff I don’t own.

Mostly I was interested in the fact that someone finally did it. Engine data to the tablet and archive of same. That’s a big deal, if they get it working with lots of engine data systems.

AFAIK there’s no consistent API for engine data, so they should standardize it and publish it before someone else does just to get a standard created. First to publish probably wins on that one. Offer “free licensing” to the standard and retain the IP rights, just like telecom manufacturers do. Then you get to say you created the standard in all of your marketing wonk material.

Thanks Denverpilot

I asked Garmin. The G3X is not compatible with engine monitoring at this time but they may add it. In the meantime they recommend using the SD card and http://cirrusreports.com/ for engine data analysis.

This is a cool feature... But to clarify, you don't have to run it the whole flight to get the data. The TXi logs the data to an SD card as well, and if you just launch GP at the end of your flight it'll download all the data and upload it to FlyGarmin automatically.

Now, I'm not sure I'll actually use the real-time thing ever, since it's already going to be on the panel. I suppose you could hang another iPad somewhere and get the full engine page on all the time, but to me an EFB is mainly for charts/weather.

IMHO this is a deal changer for the EFB market. I think Garmin caught the others sleeping on this. I think EIS is a strong competitor and I'm considering to replace my JPI to get certified AND to get the data on my iPad.

Proper engine mgmnt is so critical; can't imagine not flying with one these days.

Another step closer to having technology doing the flying and the pilot does the monitoring.

Back