Garmin Nuviphone

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
http://www.engadget.com/tag/nuvifone

I'd pass and I own a tiny bit of Garmin stock.

I'd get the next gen iPhone.

Between Garmin and Apple, Apple wins the UI derby. I'm constantly clicking in and back on my Nuvi trying to find settings. Even the way it handle phone calls is a pain. You have touch 3 times from the map screen to get to the hang up or mute button.

Attachments

• nuvifone-pricing.jpg
    nuvifone-pricing.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 28
Pass. Lose that and you've lost your GPS ability along with your phone. And there are some times where I want GPS and no phone service.

BTW... 20$/month for unlimited internet and "navigation"? Wow. Didn't realize people were charging for GPS now. :rolleyes:

Why AT&T? Is it that you can use them overseas?

I don't think anybody knows yet, in as much as this ad was leaked. I don't see that it says "Only on AT&T" like the iPhone ads do.

Might be another exclusive deal like the iPhone.

BTW, look for Steve to show that the next gen iPhone comes with GPS. It would be ironic if it was Garmin's GPS chip.

Pass. Lose that and you've lost your GPS ability along with your phone. And there are some times where I want GPS and no phone service.

BTW... 20$/month for unlimited internet and "navigation"? Wow. Didn't realize people were charging for GPS now. :rolleyes:

They do, but I have no idea how. My dad has to pay to use the GPS on his phone.

How?
1 = feature enabled and paid up
0 = feature disabled

:)

All you gotta do is wait 'til some wiseguy posts on the web on how to toggle the bit.

msupples1 said:

Generally it is the 'navigation' you are paying for. The maps. The logic/software that tells you the route, when to turn, etc. The GPS system provides a location. It doesn't provide navigation logic.

My phone has a built in GPS--If I pay Verizon $X per month I can get their navigation application that actually makes it do something. I've never tried it.

Generally it is the 'navigation' you are paying for. The maps. The logic/software that tells you the route, when to turn, etc. The GPS system provides a location. It doesn't provide navigation logic.

My phone has a built in GPS--If I pay Verizon $X per month I can get their navigation application that actually makes it do something. I've never tried it.

Dis kid. I used to be smart, too, before the senility set in.

Last edited:

I would guess (hope) that you are paying for a current map as well downloaded to the phone.

Some newer phones have GPS for enhanced 911 so they know where your phone is located- seems to work too. I called 911 in MD when someone spun out & crunched on a wall. The correct 911 operator for MD was on the line & asked if I was near mile marker xx.y- looked up- that's the mile marker I was next to.

Courier companies are charging drivers for access to a couple different navigation features on phones. The one I saw through Nextel was pretty pathetic. All it gives you on the interstate is exit numbers. I've seen a lot of construction going on where only the road name remains. Of course, it went well with drivers who didn't have a clue how to read a map, let alone navigate during rush hour.

Most people don't know it, but with the Blackberry 8800/8820, its not necessary to pay Telenav for the subscription. And you can use Blackberry Maps with it just fine.

Its just not readily apparent how to do it. And you're not doing anything wrong in doing so.

I would guess (hope) that you are paying for a current map as well downloaded to the phone.

Some newer phones have GPS for enhanced 911 so they know where your phone is located- seems to work too. I called 911 in MD when someone spun out & crunched on a wall. The correct 911 operator for MD was on the line & asked if I was near mile marker xx.y- looked up- that's the mile marker I was next to.

Scott will clarify, but I think it's called GPRS - a system that knows where you are by triangulating the cell towers vs. receiving from GPS satellites. I know that some do or are going to have GPS.

Amazingly, the current 1st gen iPhone does a decent job of guessing where you are based on the WiFi signals it hears. They have a database of of WiFi port locations.

Scott will clarify, but I think it's called GPRS - a system that knows where you are by triangulating the cell towers vs. receiving from GPS satellites. I know that some do or are going to have GPS.

Amazingly, the current 1st gen iPhone does a decent job of guessing where you are based on the WiFi signals it hears. They have a database of of WiFi port locations.

Nah, it still uses the built in GPS and the satellite constellation.

Most people don't know it, but with the Blackberry 8800/8820, its not necessary to pay Telenav for the subscription. And you can use Blackberry Maps with it just fine.

Its just not readily apparent how to do it. And you're not doing anything wrong in doing so.

Ok Nick, clue me in. I have a Blackberry Curve thru T-Mobile, how do I get the GPS Map feature to work? How do I plug in addresses?

Good grief, what did they do for that mock-up in the model's hand? Carve a bar of soap and spray paint it black?

Close. I once visited the office of a model maker. They make them out of foam and fiberglass and such.

Ok Nick, clue me in. I have a Blackberry Curve thru T-Mobile, how do I get the GPS Map feature to work? How do I plug in addresses?

The Curve doesn't have a GPS in it, unfortunately, so that one won't work. Only the 8800 and 8820 have the GPS from T-Mobile.

Well I hope all the Apple-haters buy one so that my Garmin stock stops losing all the money that my Apple stock gains. :mad:

That said, I don't think it's gonna be much of a hit... But compared to an iPhone, everything sucks right now. This one doesn't look like Garmin's done any better at their 1st-gen UI design.

Back