Garmin navcom opinions?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
We've been thinking about a new navcom #2 for a while, and flying Tuesday the old King 196 went TU. Both active and standby FREQ displays show 100.00, and no amount of button pushing and power cycling will change anything. Stuck at 100.00

Our old as dirt KNS-80 is not working well either, so it's time.

Our #1 navcom is a 430 WAAS, so we're thinking Garmin for navcom #2. They presently have these models:

GTR 200
GTR 225
GNC 255

An opinions as to these models?

Thanks!

Dunno nothin bout the new ones but I do like my SL-30 (obligatory useless POA response post):D

Dunno nothin bout the new ones but I do like my SL-30 (obligatory useless POA response post):D

We were going to do the SL-30, but whoa, now they have newer ones. Time to read spec sheets.

Last edited:
It looks like the SL-30 is still available from the usual suspects...

I like the SL-30 except for the price.

This radio just came back "refurbished" by ICOM and will slide right into the KY-196 tray.

Looks good, but our KNS-80 is dead as well, and we really want to have our NAV 2 back as well. We also have an old King ADF and an aviation AM/FM/CD player, all this old stuff needs to come out.

It's time, and we're thinking Garmin.

Looks good, but our KNS-80 is dead as well, and we really want to have our NAV 2 back as well. We also have an old King ADF and an aviation AM/FM/CD player, all this old stuff needs to come out.

It's time, and we're thinking Garmin.

In that case a second 430W would be ideal.

I've flown dual 430's, and it is nice for sure, but may be over budget. What do 430s go for installed these days/

If your CDI can be run from the 430, I am certain you could get one installed here in the NW for $8,000.

Add $2000 if you need a new CDI.....possible, but not probable.

If your CDI can be run from the 430, I am certain you could get one installed here in the NW for $8,000.

Add $2000 if you need a new CDI.....possible, but not probable.

Just not convinced another GPS is needed. NAV 1 is a 430, have a 496 on the yoke, and an iPad running Foreflight.

Just not convinced another GPS is needed. NAV 1 is a 430, have a 496 on the yoke, and an iPad running Foreflight.

Then you won't like my suggestion to get a 530w for #1 and use the 430 for #2.

You could always go the Benedict king route with a kx 155. Personally I'm happy with the 530/430 combo.

The SL-30 is great, but if you have the slightly-larger space, I'd look to the new Garmin units. As much as I like our SL-30, the knob/buttons are a bit too small for my liking.

The indicator for the KNS80 should work fine for any of the Garmin GPS/NAV/COMs. The only issue is depending on which Garmin unit it is and how far off center your stack is, you may need an annunciator.

The indicator for the KNS80 should work fine for any of the Garmin GPS/NAV/COMs. The only issue is depending on which Garmin unit it is and how far off center your stack is, you may need an annunciator.

I think the OBS head is a Garmin head anyway. The 201 stack is dead center above the knobs. Another 430 would be sweet, but I doubt the partners would be in on it when a navcom with glideslope will get the job done.

Run a wire from the 430 to a big-screen display (696, etc.) and buy another ROM compact navcom.
I've flown dual 430's, and it is nice for sure, but may be over budget. What do 430s go for installed these days/

Bill,

I'd be leaning towards and inexpensive digital nav/com used. However if it makes sense to spend extra for nav then why not nav/com/gps? Do we really know when nav's will not be supported?

I would not pay extra for a Garmin nav/com, nor would I buy one new.

Look at all money spent as going down a hole and not increasing the value of the plane. Don't worry about it being dated as what you are talking about is dated already. Unless you are putting in a touch screen gps unit or SV or G500 you are just going with the status quo.

We've been thinking about a new navcom #2 for a while, and flying Tuesday the old King 196 went TU. Both active and standby FREQ displays show 100.00, and no amount of button pushing and power cycling will change anything. Stuck at 100.00

Our #1 navcom is a 430 WAAS, so we're thinking Garmin for navcom #2. They presently have these models:

GTR 200
GTR 225
GNC 255

Thanks!

Last edited:

GTR 200
GTR 225
GNC 255

Thanks!

Check the spec sheets - Only the GNC 255 includes a Nav - The other two are combo Comm radio/Intercom units that look like they're aimed at LSA's.

Good avionics shops in the SE was[Re: Garmin navcom opinions?]

GTR 200
GTR 225
GNC 255

Thanks!

OK, we're ready to find some guys to do the job. Anyone have a good recommendation for an avionics shop in the southeast?

Thanks!

Re: Good avionics shops in the SE was[Re: Garmin navcom opinions?]

OK, we're ready to find some guys to do the job. Anyone have a good recommendation for an avionics shop in the southeast?

Thanks!

Bill, I've used Twin Lakes Avionics at 8A7 for the 310 work. They did the Aspen install as well as the 430W/WX-500 install. They actually donated the labor on the Aspen. Robbie is a very nice and honest guy who has tried to undersell me if anything, and has never tried to push something unnecessary.

Work so far has been trouble-free. Two years on the Aspen, about 7 months on the 430W/WX-500.

Bill, I've used Twin Lakes Avionics at 8A7 for the 310 work. They did the Aspen install as well as the 430W/WX-500 install. They actually donated the labor on the Aspen. Robbie is a very nice and honest guy who has tried to undersell me if anything, and has never tried to push something unnecessary.

Work so far has been trouble-free. Two years on the Aspen, about 7 months on the 430W/WX-500.

Thanks, Ted, will investigate.

The new ones are supposedly an improvement on the SL-30/40 line, which were awesome radios. The new ones have a built in database which is nice.

Several models from which to choose. From Garmin's blog:

The GTR and GNC series are more powerful than their SL-series predecessors with versions available with 10- or 16-watt transmit power, allowing for increased range. The GTR 225 includes 10 watts of transmit power and 25 kHz frequency spacing for $1,995. The GTR 225A adds 8.33 kHz frequency spacing for $2,995. And the GTR 225B includes 8.33 kHz spacing and 16-watt transmit power for $3,995. The GNC 255A includes 10 watts of transmit power for $4,495 and the GNC 255B includes 16 watts of transmit power for $5,495. Both GNC models include 8.33 kHz spacing.

The SL-30 is a very capable radio. I like, for example, the ability to monitor the standby freq. I can have ATC as primary and ATIS as secondary and the secondary will mute when there is a signal on the primary.

The nav functions can do some very nice tricks too. I am impressed every time I look at them in the manual but I haven't ever tried to use them in flight. ;-0

The thing I Do Not Like, though, is that the radio displays only one pair of frequencies at a time. This means that if you are using both comm and nav you have to stop and think before you do anything: Which display is active? It sounds minor but I find the King 155s much faster to use, even though they do not do as many cute tricks as the SL30. In this respect, the GNC 255 seems to be basically a repackaged SL30 with a bigger display. (It may be worse, though, because instead of dedicated COM and NAV buttons, the selection is a flip-flop button so you definitely have to think before pushing.)

The GNC255's labeling the frequencies is another cute trick but at the cost of yet another database to upgrade and, probably, to pay for. I would see that feature as a negative, not a positive.

Thanks!
My mechanic recommends Star in Chattanooga.
I had an SL30 in my 421 and I liked it, it was my #2, behind a 530W, I don't think I'd want one as a primary radio.;) A second 430 would of course be nice, price a used 430 vs a new Garmin nav/comm, it will be more, but maybe not a lot.:dunno: That would add a second database. :redface:

Last edited:

That or do what henning says and upgrade to a 750 with the money sell the 430w.

My mechanic recommends Star in Chattanooga.
I had an SL30 in my 421 and I liked it, it was my #2, behind a 530W, I don't think I'd want one as a primary radio.;) A second 430 would of course be nice, price a used 430 vs a new Garmin nav/comm, it will be more, but maybe not a lot.:dunno: That would add a second database. :redface:

That or do what henning says and upgrade to a 750 with the money sell the 430w.

Which isn't a bad idea, but depends on the goal. I'd prefer two GPSs to one, and I don't think the 750's functionality is enough more to be worthwhile.

Which isn't a bad idea, but depends on the goal. I'd prefer two GPSs to one, and I don't think the 750's functionality is enough more to be worthwhile.

I think we're still OK with just a navcom for #2. We may even go used, as the plan is in another 4-5years make the 430W #2 and buy something nice as #1.

And, in addition to the 430W, we have a 496 on the yoke and iPad running Foreflight, so two backup GPSs that will continue to work if ships power is lost.

I think we're still OK with just a navcom for #2. We may even go used, as the plan is in another 4-5years make the 430W #2 and buy something nice as #1.

And, in addition to the 430W, we have a 496 on the yoke and iPad running Foreflight, so two backup GPSs that will continue to work if ships power is lost.

Oh I wasn't implying that your plane's setup is deficient, merely pointing out that rather than upgrading to a 750, I'd go for dual 430s or 430/530.

To wrap this one up:

With the pending part 23 re-write, we decided not to dump $6k+ into a new old-tech navcom. We contacted Kings Avionics in New Century, KS, and sent the units to them as they did a great job at a great price re-building our King AP servos.

The comm had a bad microprocessor, they replaced it with new and cleaned the rotary pots for $475. Radio is back in and works like new.

The KNS-80 bench tested good, so our problem is in the wiring, we will address this when the plane is down for annual in a few months.

BTW, we give the guys at Kings two thumbs up, they know the problems these units have and rebuild at very resonable prices.

Sounds like a good solution. Certainly the cheapest one!

Sounds like a good solution. Certainly the cheapest one!

We thought it best to not dump money into the panel now if some of the non-certified stuff is available later. BTW, your guy in NC was one of the ones recommending against a new navcom, he thought refurb/used was a better option.

We thought it best to not dump money into the panel now if some of the non-certified stuff is available later. BTW, your guy in NC was one of the ones recommending against a new navcom, he thought refurb/used was a better option.

That's not surprising at all. One of the great things about Robbie (and reason we'll be back) is he doesn't try to upsell you. In fact, he's more consistently tried to downsell with me.

Back