Garmin iQue 3600a

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
Does anybody have any experience with these?

I'm looking for a self-contained GPS (no power cords, no external antenna) that will run for at least 3-4 hours on rechargable batteries and is small enough to go on a mini kneeboard for use in the R22 and as a backup in the Cherokee.

RotaryWingBob said:

I'm looking for a self-contained GPS (no power cords, no external antenna) that will run for at least 3-4 hours on rechargable batteries and is small enough to go on a mini kneeboard for use in the R22 and as a backup in the Cherokee.

I'd like to have one myself. I have two friends who have the iQue 3600, not the aviation version, and they love them. I could use a new PDA as well but I'm not willing to pay $1,000 for one at this point. I guess my GPS Map 195 will have to do for a few more years.

Jeannie

I'm working towards the iQue 3600a myself. I figure between the prices of quality PDA's and GPS systems, I'll burn close to, if not more, than the cost of the 3600a so I'm just going to combine the two into a single purchase.

Ok, so I'm somewhat of a techno-geek and can't get by with one of the "$100 special" PDA's out there. Before my Palm V took a header, I was in PDA heaven...no batteries to worry about since it recharged in the HotSync cradle like the 3600a is apparently supposed to do. None of the ads I've seen for it mention that it requires batteries. That's my kind of PDA. Throw in the GPS and for me, the 3600a is the perfect piece of equipment. Special note: leave the 3600a on the HotSync cradle overnight before a day of flying. That'll give you a good 4-6 hrs, maybe more, of decent usage before any low battery warnings. I'm sure the GPS eats up more battery than a just the PDA portion. I was able to go for 2 or 3 days on my Palm V before a recharge was required.

Thanks for the input TD -- I can relate to the PDA thing -- I got a TREO 650 so I could combine phone and PDA, and also access Pilot My Cast for radar and other goodies.

The 3600a is appealing because there are no wires (and I don't want any loose wires in the cockpit of a helo!), and it should be able to go on a small kneeboard without getting in the way of the cyclic or collective.

Bob,

I am sure the aviation model is the same as the street nav model, if not I appologize for this. It is a great unit, but I know the street model has to be loaded for different areas. The whole US will not fit in the memory. Also, you may have a problem keeping a signal on your kneeboard as the roof of the R-22 may block the signal depending on where you are and your direction. My advice would be one of the small garmin's ie 296, 396. They run off battery power and the antenna can be left on the unit or mounted to the wind scren via suction cup. The nice thing about the 396 is you can get XM weater on it for a subscription. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Thanks. It's (unfortunately) important not to have any wires in the cockpit. The last thing I need is for the antenna and wire to come loose, go out an open door and wrap around the tail rotor.

You triggered a thought though -- I have a small Garmin 60CS for hiking -- I think the next time I fly the R22 I'll strap the Garmin to my knee and see if it has any trouble tracking.

When I was a (fixed-wing) student I remember throwing a portable GPS onto the back seat of a Warrior for jollies. It was able to track for the entire flight (the GPS track of steep turns and ground reference maneuvers is pretty neat -- I still have a printout somewhere).

Bob,

The garmins I was referring to, the 296/396, the antennas can be left attatched to the units. But the hiking model could work for you as well. It just won't show you the airspace info. Good luck.

RotaryWingBob said:

It's not rechargable, but I get 40hrs on 2 AA batteries from my Garmin 96C. Great little unit. It's my security blanket when I'm IMC.

Back