Garmin GTX327 Xponder PIREPS Please

MickYoumans

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MickYoumans
I am not happy with my current transponder and I'm starting to have some minor issues with it. I looked through the transponders at Aircraft Spruce and was wondering about the Garmin GTX327. Is this the best bang for the buck transponder out there? Any of you using this unit please tell me about it. Thanks!

I am not happy with my current transponder and I'm starting to have some minor issues with it. I looked through the transponders at Aircraft Spruce and was wondering about the Garmin GTX327. Is this the best bang for the buck transponder out there? Any of you using this unit please tell me about it. Thanks!
I put one in my Baron several years ago and it's never had a problem. Other than not supporting ADS in or out it's probably the best transponder around.

The best value in the 330GTX as all you need is the external squitter to get it compliant with ADSB requirements.

2020 is fast on the way....and even if you sell the a/c, the buyer will recognize that his burden is reduced....

The best value in the 330GTX as all you need is the external squitter to get it compliant with ADSB requirements.

2020 is fast on the way....and even if you sell the a/c, the buyer will recognize that his burden is reduced....

+1 on what Dr. Bruce says, and if you have a garmin panel mounted GPS (Like 430 and newer) you can get TIS, too.

If you're not looking for mode-s, the GTX320A is cheaper and works great. I've had one for 5 years and it's never been a problem in the air and always checks out well above spec on the 24 month check.

EDIT: Can't find the GTX320A at Chief or Aircraft Spruce. Garmin says it's discontinued.

Last edited:
Yep, TIS is nice and the voice alert girl sounds cute too:wink2:
She is kind of cute but has tiny, tiny little legs. She's the slightly chunky one on the right.

:lol:

Attachments

• adb206.jpg
    adb206.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 24
I have a 327, and it serves well. Zero drama.

We're I buying today, I'd get the 330, for the TIS.

The 327 and newer 330 are great units- I have had three of them, and they work well. They have useful timer functions and pressure altitude readouts as well.

We just had this issue in the 310 - the Collins transponder was acting up. After some 35-40 years, I suppose it had a right to. Rather than messing around with it (which is typically a money-losing proposition), we chose to have it replaced with the GTX327. It was about $2,200 installed. I would highly recommend the shop we used.

I've used them in a number of aircraft over the years, and never had a problem. the Aztec has one, also. It is a great unit.

We chose not to spend the extra cash on the 330. The TIS doesn't help us where we spend most of our time flying, and it would have represented a significant increase in costs. Since it still needs an upgrade in order to support ADS-B and who knows where things will be 8 years from now (I am figuring it will probably be time for another upgrade anyway), we'd wait and deal with it later. We'd like to have traffic, but TIS only works in certain areas - mostly where we don't fly - so if we get some traffic, it'd need to be TCAS.

I'd go with the 327.

the guts of the units are apparently the same, with the exception of thed added traffic capabiity of the 330. It does work well in the right radar environments- it is amazing how much traffic is out there that you never see visually, even within one mile. If your local ATC radar has the capability and you fly in and around a lot of class B,C, or D environments, it can be extremely useful.

Faces are the same but there are some big differences, the 330 is several inches deeper for example. This is an issue for 327 equipped cirrus as the stack needs to be shuffled to take the longer 330.

If your're looking for used (previously loved) deals:

http://www.bennettavionics.com/transponder.html

Chris

Back