Garmin GTN750, or Avidyne IFD540?

If you had to choose one or the other, which would you pick to be in your airplane?

• Total voters
I put a deposit on an IFD 440. Later I sold my position on the IFD.
I installed a GTN 650 in our RV.

The IFD has buttons which would be nice as the GTN touchscreen is a PITA in turbulence - i know some others will disagree.
The IFD has some other features I don't recall now which were not in the GTN.
The IFD represents competition which is a good thing.
The problem I had with avidyne is a couple advertised features were removed. A few years back avidyne put out a position statement indicating they would support capstone ads-b. I took that to mean they would work with other manufacturers ads-b receivers. Then when the IFD540 got certification they announced their about $2000 ads-b in only device and that they were not able to display ads-b from other manufacturers products. Also there was a question about their costs for service on a unit. There was also some thought that in order to get the warranty one would have to sign a contract that some on the Avidyne forum found objectionable.

I prefer IFD. I like buttons and knobs over touch screen. I like how the user interface is set up better.

I would choose the Avidyne if I was replacing a 430. It's slide in compatible. Why Garmin didn't make the 650 slide in compatible I don't know. But I am suspiscious that they feel so strong in the market that they don't mind forcing people to buy trays and other stuff because they can.

I would choose the Avidyne if I was replacing a 430. It's slide in compatible. Why Garmin didn't make the 650 slide in compatible I don't know. But I am suspiscious that they feel so strong in the market that they don't mind forcing people to buy trays and other stuff because they can.

The 650 can integrate into many more things than the 430w, has three high speed Ethernet data busses for example. 430W has no Ethernet bus. The GTX345, GDL series has an Ethernet bus. If the fan dies in the 430w it has to be sent to Garmin for repair. The 650's fan is not inside the radio.

650:
Connector P1001 = 69 out of 78 contacts used (four RS232, four ARINC 429)
Connector P1002 = 26 out of 26 contacts used (3 Ethernet, two RS422)
Connector P1003 = 25 out of 44 contacts used (com board)
Connector P1004 = 48 out of 62 contacts used (two ARINC 429)
168 contacts used out of 210 available.

430w:
P4001 = 72 out of 78 contacts used (four RS232, three ARINC 429)
P4002 = 11 out of 25 contacts used (com board)
P4006 = 41 out of 44 contacts used (no data bus)
124 contacts used out of 147 available

Discuss. Which would you pick and why?

Neither. I'd probably go 650 and use the Flightstream with ipad more.

Big attractions to the 750 is a full keyboard on screen (not a huge deal with ipad + flightstream) and it can run a remote audio panel which doesn't blow my skirt up because I rather have the PS Engineering audio panel (and many more things too but those are some big ones for a typical single engine piston driver).

Last edited:
Got more time behind garmin boxes, everything from 150s to 1000s.

Personally I still prefer my GNSs over the GTNs

Minus being able to put in airways vs getting a couple waypoints from foreflight, it's just whizbang stuff, never found myself needing a keyboard, even going into some of the busiest airspace on earth and with complex routing (when I couldn't VFR outta there).

I would like to choose the IFD540 but for one issue. It isn't an approved position source for my KT74 ADS-B transponder. The GTN750 is. The real plan is to stay with my 530w.

Big attractions to the 750 is a full keyboard on screen (not a huge deal with ipad + flightstream) and it can run a remote audio panel which doesn't blow my skirt up because I rather have the PS Engineering audio panel (and many more things too but those are some big ones for a typical single engine piston driver).

Also the 750 put the OBS and CDI button onto the map screen. Instead of having to go fish for the darn thing in the default nav page. That is my number one complaint on the 650/750s.

Just don't get a 430W/530W. The money you'll put into a 650/750 will be well worth it. You'll spend 7/8k on a 430W. As you know the 430/530 are going extinct. Only second hand boxes can be found now. So when the screen or battery goes belly up your out another 7/8k for an even more outmoded box.

Also the 750 put the OBS and CDI button onto the map screen. Instead of having to go fish for the darn thing in the default nav page. That is my number one complaint on the 650/750s..

Did you mean "on the 430/530s"? It sounds like you are saying you like that the 750 put the OBS/CDI on the map screen instead of nav, but then you say it's your number one complaint about them, but maybe I'm reading this incorrectly.

Having used both 750 and 540 I would go with the Avidyne. My only concern is Avidyne corporate vs Garmin. Garmin is not going anywhere. Avidyne sometimes worry me but putting that aside the 540 is incredible. To be fair the 750 is incredible as well. You would be happy and well served with either. But if I had to choose right now I'd go Avidyne.

The GTN 750 is a great unit, when it works. I recently had mine go poof-black in IMC, completely stone-cold dead. Fortunately my backup old Narco gear, coupled with my Nexus 7 running Garmin Pilot, turned it into a non-event (after ATC called me on guard, since I had lost Center's frequency).
I have no problem using touch screen in turbulence, as long as I use the proper technique (using the side for reference). In a few years of ownership and all kinds of weather, can't recall ever using the knobs for anything except volume.
Garmin wanted over $1000 for their flat repair fee, to fix what later turned out to be some undisclosed internal failure on the main board, since the unit was 10 months out of warranty. They later agreed to 50% off discount due to efforts by my avionics shop.
Still, I love that unit, just hope it stays alive for a while. :)

Last edited:
Also the 750 put the OBS and CDI button onto the map screen. Instead of having to go fish for the darn thing in the default nav page. That is my number one complaint on the 650/750s.

Just don't get a 430W/530W. The money you'll put into a 650/750 will be well worth it. You'll spend 7/8k on a 430W. As you know the 430/530 are going extinct. Only second hand boxes can be found now. So when the screen or battery goes belly up your out another 7/8k for an even more outmoded box.

I keep hearing this outdated thing, but I'm still seeing GNS systems getting repaired and WAASed left and right

They are both great units IMO. I have a 530 in my Bonanza with a GTX330 T-ponder. Costs all in for WAAS upgrade, annunciator, etc around 6K. I couldn't see investing that in a 20 year old unit so I purchased a 750 along with a GTX345. Garmin had a $500 rebate for buying both and with the ADS-B rebate coming plus a reasonable trade-in on the old items it made sense. Install will be in November so ask me around year end to see if I am happy with the choice. I hate to feed the beast, but as has been said before, Garmin isn't going anywhere and I think the communication between the transponder and GTN will be seamless and avoid inevitable finger pointing between mfrs.

Can anyone cite the flat rate repair cost for a 540?

Troy, we have had a few issues with the 750 in N149G. And I think we are on our 3rd unit since we had the work done in 2014. Since you use the same avionics shop as us, ask Trevor to share details on what happened and what the solution was.

We like the 750 for its functionality. But we've had to put up with some odd failures and problems.

I wish I had some time with the IFD540... I sorta like some of the UI elements over the 750 layout. But I need a long session of usage before I'd say for sure if I would get one or not.

Now you have me rethinking my plan to install a gtn750 this winter. Was thinking of putting in number one gps position and move the 530 to position 2. Does garmin have a extended warranty or something that is affordable?

We like the 750 for its functionality. But we've had to put up with some odd failures and problems.

Interesting. My avionics guy swore up and down that the mysterious complete and sudden failure of my GTN750 (see above) was the first one he's ever heard of.

Now you have me rethinking my plan to install a gtn750 this winter. Was thinking of putting in number one gps position and move the 530 to position 2. Does garmin have a extended warranty or something that is affordable?

I don't see the need for one really at $1,200 flat rate, 90 day warranty. The factory new one is two year warranty.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

It's not the cost of fixing it that world bother me, it's the the other costs, both monitory and otherwise, of where and when it breaks.

They are both great units IMO. I have a 530 in my Bonanza with a GTX330 T-ponder. Costs all in for WAAS upgrade, annunciator, etc around 6K. I couldn't see investing that in a 20 year old unit so I purchased a 750 along with a GTX345. Garmin had a $500 rebate for buying both and with the ADS-B rebate coming plus a reasonable trade-in on the old items it made sense. Install will be in November so ask me around year end to see if I am happy with the choice. I hate to feed the beast, but as has been said before, Garmin isn't going anywhere and I think the communication between the transponder and GTN will be seamless and avoid inevitable finger pointing between mfrs.

Are you going with the panel mount 345, or the remote 345 controlled by the 750?

The IFD has all that plus much more. Installed the 540 and 440 in my SR22. The interface with Foreflight is coming in September without having to pay an extra $1,250. I used the 650 and like the 540/440 much better. The Geofill is great.

The next major release of the IFD440/540 software (v10.2) will enable use of an iPad as an MFD / second screen for the IFD units. Everything you could display on the panel-mounted screen can be displayed on the iPad screen, and almost everything you can control from the panel-mounted controls can be done from the iPad also.

We just bought a 750 (so new it hasn't even been installed yet!) as well to replace a 430 (non-WAAS) that went to the big GPS satellite in the sky. Wasn't an easy choice, but ultimately we wanted Garmin functionality and a solid replacement for both our MX20 and 430 as well as an easy installation. Looking forward to getting it installed, and hopefully it doesn't go kaboom! Plus we got dealer pricing which helped with the sting a little bit, but only a little bit.

Troy- doing panel mount as tray,etc already in place for easy install. Also, I don't want to lose the t-ponder if the GTN blows up on me.

That's what I was thinking too. You also gain back data fields on the GTN750 that can be used to display nav data instead of control the transponder.

The IFD.

I like buttons.

I do believe that the 650/750 is a step up from the 430/530, but I miss buttons to twirl.

I had a GNS530W in the Archer I bought in November last year, and since a) Avidyne had an update program going to move to the IFD540 and b) I have a custom metal panel that made it easier to just slide in the 540, it was a no-brainer for me to go with the 540.

Now that I've been flying with it for several months now, I'm happy with my choice. I especially like the knobs when things are rockin' and rollin', and I actually find myself using the knobs more than the touch screen in all weather - old habits die hard, I guess :)

I had been flying behind a 430w for the past 12 years. When I needed a GPS for the Velocity, I looked for another 430w but the prices were around $5,000 and for literally just a few dollars more I got a brand new GTN625. I prefer knobs and buttons but I couldn't pass up new for the same price as used.

The touch screen isn't bad. They put in a raised bevel around the unit that you can rest your fingers on when using the touchscreen. And unlike some touchscreens, I've yet to have to repeat a press because it didn't detect it.

I will say the user interface is significantly different than the 430. For me, that's been the biggest challenge.

Lots of time behind a 430 and currently driving a 750. I much prefer the user interface of the 750 and the screen size. The traffic screen on the 750 is simply outstanding. When you add in Garmin Connext you spend such less time programming and button turning. I won't even mention the ease of changing the flight plan when ATC modifies your IFR route.

Garmin offers nice rebates from time to time. Sarasota sells it pretty reasonably, many shops will match or come close to that price, then add in the rebate. Makes the unit that much more affordable. Have no time with the 540.

I do not like the touch screen; however, I purchased it because I had a 430 since 1990's and added a WAAS update to it when I put the GDL 88/89? in for the ADS_B out. I called Garmin support for how to activate an approach when it was loaded earlier. Garmin's tech support was quick and I will test how accurate the next time I fly. I liked the 430 so I stayed with Garmin. Still learning; however, my non-pilot wife was able to pick it up and assist on my first flight with it. She found it easier to use than the 430. Regarding failures my Aspen 1000 has failed already while the Garmin has not missed a beat with both installed 20 hours ago.

I do not like the touch screen; however, I purchased it because I had a 430 since 1990's and added a WAAS update to it when I put the GDL 88/89? in for the ADS_B out. I called Garmin support for how to activate an approach when it was loaded earlier. Garmin's tech support was quick and I will test how accurate the next time I fly. I liked the 430 so I stayed with Garmin. Still learning; however, my non-pilot wife was able to pick it up and assist on my first flight with it. She found it easier to use than the 430. Regarding failures my Aspen 1000 has failed already while the Garmin has not missed a beat with both installed 20 hours ago.

20 hours and the Aspen failed? I know they had display QC problems early on, but I understood they have dealt with that. Would appreciate knowing what the diagnosis was, what failed and how well Aspen handled it for you.

Back