Garmin GPS 175 and 2nd G5

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
With the introduction of the 175, I think this is pushing me towards putting a GPS in my plane....

First, what I currently have in my Piper Archer:

G5 Attitude Indicator with vacuum AI as backup and running Century 21 AP
DG
2 KX155 radios, one with localizer
2 Nav heads to go with radios....one with localizer
ADF (woohoo!!)
DME
KT76A transponder
Freeflight Rangr ADS-B UAT in and out
EI CGR-30P engine monitor
PSE PMA7000B audio panel / intercom

So I have no GPS. I run FlyQ on my iPad to follow the magenta line. I am not IFR rated, but plan on doing that next year.

I got two quotes from the local shop. First quote would add a second G5 to replace my DG and add the GPS 175. Second quote would add the second G5 and then add a GTN650 to replace one of my old radios.

Going the 175 route saves me $7,000. This is not my forever plane. But my radios have acted up before (resetting frequencies in flight) but not lately. $7000 can buy me 2 used KX155s if I needed to start replacing them. My thought is to go with the 175 to gain LPV approaches to train for my IFR in. If one of my radios gives out, replace it and start looking for my forever plane. I would probably also yank the ADF but I don't think they included that labor in the quote.

Any reason other than radio failure mitigation to go the GTN 650 route if this is not my long term plane? Shop also tried to get me to go GNX 375 to replace my transponder, but since I already have ADS-B, I figure that is a waste. My radios worry me more than my transponder does. I can keep using FlyQ to get my ADS-B in data.

Opinions?

If you're mandate compliant don't put another penny in your panel until the shops start getting lean and hungry again.

There's nothing you NEED for your current flying and next rating.

If you're mandate compliant don't put another penny in your panel until the shops start getting lean and hungry again.

There's nothing you NEED for your current flying and next rating.
I made it clear to them that I am in no rush and I wasn't going to pay any premium for the install. The hours/rate they quoted seemed reasonable to me. But I hear ya.

Back