Garmin GNS430 Updates

BGF_Yankee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
BGF_Yankee
As a newbie who just picked up a 430 (not installed yet), where does one obtain the database updates for the devices? I've heard that you can go to Garmin or Jeppessen...is this true? I know for my 696 I went to Garmin for the updates.

Last edited:
You can go direct to Jepperson,if your using a Mac product,you will need a sub adapter to download the card. They where giving them for free,but now charge for them. Also the card is worth about 120.00 if you didn't get one with the unit.

Data for the GTN650 is available direct from Garmin, but for the 430 only from Jepp.

A nav data card costs $195 + shipping. They've recently started shipping 'orange label data cards' which are not compatible with the now discontinued 'white label' cards.

If you have an orange label card you need an orange label Skybound. If you tell Jepp when you order a new nav data card that you have a 'white label' Skybound they'll give you the updated 'orange label' Skybound for the cost of shipping.

I just went through this last month.

Get what you can from Amazon. Some of the stuff was on there when I looked. I bought the card reader/adapter for less than $40 and it has served me well

You can go direct to Jepperson,if your using a Mac product,you will need a sub adapter to download the card. They where giving them for free,but now charge for them. Also the card is worth about 120.00 if you didn't get one with the unit.

Unless you're using some older type of setup, you don't. I bought the Skybound USB adapter straight from Jepp for $59 and it works fine on my Macbook Pro.

Yank,
I fly VFR, mostly locally and I update my 430 once a year. It costs around $130. You still need the Skybound and Jeppesen Services software on your computer, and you'll need to call Jepp on the phone. After you give them a CC they'll make the download available using the software mentioned above.

Alternatively, you can buy a populated datacard for quite a bit less with either the current charts or month old charts on ebay or the various classified sections of this forum and others. Some guys buy the annual subscription and sell every other month, easily getting their money back for the year.

Back