Garmin GDL 52 and SiriusXM Audio

EchoKiloInID

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
EchoKiloInID
I’ve had a GDL 52 for a while but only recently tried to listen to SiriusXM audio with it. When coupling with my iPad if I connect the GDL 52 first I can hear and control the audio via Garmin Pilot. I use ForeFlight so the only reason I have Garmin Pilot is to control that audio. When I then try to connect my LightSpeed Delta Zulu headset to the iPad it will usually not connect at all. If I am able to connect the headset I can not hear ForeFlight, only the SiriusXM audio. Usually I get the continuous warning that it is not in range when I’m not able to connect. If I connect the headset first and the Garmin second I can hear the ForeFlight alerts but I then can not hear the SiriusXM audio even though I can see it playing and can change the channels. I’ve reached out to both Garmin and LightSpeed. LightSpeed has not responded in over a month. I’ve called their tech support but gave up after being on hold for 15 minutes. Garmin emailed me directions on how to connect my headset to the GDL 52…which was not the issue. It was already connected.

Has anyone else had this issue? I just removed the audio subscription from that plan and kept the SiriusXM for ForeFlight subscription, for weather only.

Last edited:

Thanks for the article. That method does work but then I can’t hear ForeFlight. I’ve dug out a cable that either came with the headset or I purchased after the fact. I’m basically going to hardwire the headset directly to the iPad and connect to the Garmin via Bluetooth. I’ve seen a quote on YouTube that the Delta Zulu only connects to 1 Bluetooth device at a time, something I do not see in the owners manual. This method should work unless the iPad needs to be connected to power. I can also wire the Garmin directly to the headset via its audio port so I’ve ordered 2 of those cords and a splitter for a 2nd headset. I just hate all those cables floating around though.

Yes I suppose running both GP and FF and wanting audio from both would be a challenge. I've actually forgotten how I set mine up - I use GP only and not FF - but I THINK the way I did it was to connect the iPad and the GDL52 and then connect the iPad to the audio panel in my plane via Bluetooth. Then I get both the GP audio alerts for airspace and the SXM music over that. Separately I connected my phone to my headset via Bluetooth so I can make calls.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how I did it. Good luck getting it sorted

Do you have a Bluetooth audio panel? do you have audio out from the GDL to audio panel?

Back