Garmin G600

PlayStationPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PlayStationPilot
I just picked up our Piper Lance in which we had the Garmin G600, GTX-330 Mode S, GDL-69 for XM WX installed with a completely replaced instrument panel installed. Is there anyone out there who has any experience with the G600 system?
So far.....so far it seems extremely easy to operate and it is all that I expected. What I am looking for is others who may have had a problem, comment or complaint.
PlayStationPilot

I just picked up our Piper Lance in which we had the Garmin G600, GTX-330 Mode S, GDL-69 for XM WX installed with a completely replaced instrument panel installed.

Wow, nice!

So far.....so far it seems extremely easy to operate and it is all that I expected. What I am looking for is others who may have had a problem, comment or complaint.

Tell you what - I'd be happy to come out there and fly your bird and then tell you what I think. ;-)

Okay, so I haven't flown the G600, and my hours with the G1000 are only in the double digits, but I have a boatload of time behind a 430 (W and non) and have also at various times used a 496 and a Street Pilot. After all that, I have one conclusion: Garmin makes good stuff. Not quite an Apple-quality user interface, but reasonably easy to learn, and rock solid.

I was thinking that the G600 would not sell well at all given the relatively tiny cost and ease of installation of the Aspen units, but Aspen appears to have broken the "glass barrier" for retrofitting older airplanes and the folks with enough money to burn are going for the G600's. I think that the combo of a G600, a Garmin radio stack, and an Auracle can make any reasonably clean airframe as good as a brand-new airplane. :yes:

PlayStationPilot,

Are you an AOPA member and familiar their forums (aka the Red Board)? A fella by the screen name AvShiloh there has a mondo install -- a G600 and one of every other avionic box out there. He was one of the first ones to get a G600 over there and he flies the heck out of it! Look him up. I believe he was in the Philly area, too.

Sorry.

See attached. This is a Debonair. Really.

Attachments

• Final G600.jpg
    Final G600.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 53
Playstationpilot:

Rich is right Av Shilo has an awsome G6000/ Aspen Panel You can contact him through this board as well plus he will be at the Wings FlyBQ with his Comanche this may 15. Only about a 15 min flight from ABE or less From Queen City. If you come to the flybq I know Av will be happy to show you his panel and discuss it with you. He is a great guy.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28270

Sorry.

This is really nice. The only problem is all the room he has left for new toys. Without the "where will I put it" dilemma how will he control expenditures?

Not that I can think of anything else he needs now, but if I were him, I wouldn't go to Oshkosh.

Joe

I have had the G600 for nearly 3 weeks. Not so much as a glitch and it is way easier to operate than we anticipated. I have to admit, we have become very accustomed to its capabilities and advantages. I also have to admit....the entire right side of the panel is open. As one gentlemen mentioned, a crowded panel is how we can control costs. I suggested we simply hang a calendar in the bare spot and call it a day.
Right now Garmin is running a few specials on the G600....if you shop hard you can get it deeply discounted, installed. They also have some surprisingly generous rebates going. Penn Avionics in West Chester, PA did a masterful job. The installer, Chris V. has the touch on this system.

Thanks for the PIREP! Now if I only had a plane to put it in. Better go check the Lottery numbers!:rofl:

Thanks for the PIREP! Now if I only had a plane to put it in. Better go check the Lottery numbers!:rofl:
I have got the plane.

I'll tell you what. You put it into my plane and I'll let you visit the panel anytime you want. Shoot! I'll even fly the plane down to Clow once and a while so you don't have to drive too far!

Playstationpilot:

Rich is right Av Shilo has an awsome G6000/ Aspen Panel You can contact him through this board as well plus he will be at the Wings FlyBQ with his Comanche this may 15. Only about a 15 min flight from ABE or less From Queen City. If you come to the flybq I know Av will be happy to show you his panel and discuss it with you. He is a great guy.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28270

Small correction, Av no longer has an Aspen in his panel. He does have the G600 and a Sandel 3500 on the right side.

Sorry.

I have never seen the sense in putting the 3 Emergency instruments at the bottom of the panel. If it was me, I would have put them above the 480s.

Back