Garmin G5 vs Dynon 10A/1000

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
For those with certificated aircraft and looking into these options, and given that there's substantial difference in the retail price (Dynon is $2200, "certified" G5 is $2100, not counting installation), which do you prefer and why? Can the G5 really replace most of the 6 pack or just the AI with the rest of it being "situational awareness and support"? Wha about the Dynon?

Or is the Aspen 1000 a better choice, and why?

Has anyone got comparison of the features and installation requirements?

[updated with corrected prices]

Last edited:
If you can get to the Red Board, there has been a good discussion on this topic there. http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=99044

A few items Aspen has going for it are:
  • Legal replacement for BOTH the AI and the DG. The D5 can only replace the AI
  • GPSS steering is built in. It will make magenta line flying easier, including shooting RNAV approaches.
So if you can afford it, it could be more valuable to you in the "how you use it" sense.

That Dynon unit looks pretty sweet.
The Experimental crowd always gets the nicest toys before the certifieds do. And at a lower price point o_O

I looked closely at both at KOSH, and the Garmin, IMHO, is superior. Here's why:

- The Garmin is $2150 for the entire package (unless you don't have a garmin panel mount GPS, in which case you need the external antenna). The Dynon is $2700 for the full package (the base price doesn't include a number of "Required" accessories).

- The Garmin is smaller and lighter. The Dynon is very deep, it needs more panel real estate on the front (by more than 1/2 an inch, which can be a lot depending on your instrument spacing).

- The Garmin display is much, much better. Remember, the Dynon D10 has been on the market for >10 years, so the technology, including the display, isn't exactly cutting edge. The Garmin is brighter, crisper and overall looks more "professional."

- The Dynon REQUIRES you to use Dynon's external GPS antenna. Period. Full Stop. With the Garmin, you can tap into your 430/530/650/750 for GPS position source instead of cutting another hold in the top of the plane.

- The only upside to the Dynon is the ability to add a magnetometer and an AOA sensor. But for me, that doesn't outweigh the other issues, especially since I have to keep my DG for autopilot purposes anyway.

The Experimental crowd always gets the nicest toys before the certifieds do. And at a lower price point o_O
While I think it is great that Garmin has gotten an STC for the G5, it is really disappointing that they doubled the price for the STC version which is essentially the same unit as the experiment one. The experimental one is $1200. It sort of defeats the cost attraction of the experimental instrumentation.

When all of this started with the Dynon D10A STC, I was very encouraged that in time we might be able to install units like the Garmin G3X or Dynon Skyview systems in our old spam cans. If Garmin is going to double the price on everything they STC, like I said, it defeats the cost attraction of the experimental stuff. I would love to install a dual screen G3X system in my Cherokee if it could be done at the experimental price point. If they were to double the price like they did the G5, I doubt I would be interested.

While I think it is great that Garmin has gotten an STC for the G5, it is really disappointing that they doubled the price for the STC version which is essentially the same unit as the experiment one. The experimental one is $1200. It sort of defeats the cost attraction of the experimental instrumentation.

When all of this started with the Dynon D10A STC, I was very encouraged that in time we might be able to install units like the Garmin G3X or Dynon Skyview systems in our old spam cans. If Garmin is going to double the price on everything they STC, like I said, it defeats the cost attraction of the experimental stuff. I would love to install a dual screen G3X system in my Cherokee if it could be done at the experimental price point. If they were to double the price like they did the G5, I doubt I would be interested.

I'm sure Garmin spent quite a bit of money obtaining the STC, and I don't begrudge them marking up the unit a bit to account for that. Even at $2150, the G5 is still a lot of value for your money. It's not an insane value like the experimental version at $1200, but it's still a lot of value IMHO. And it's still cheaper than the Dynon, the Sandia, anything from Mid-Continent, etc.

It's not the same as the experimental version, it doesn't have the HSI function for one, so twice the money foe half the function.

dynon and garmin have alwas been a tough market fight. garmin has alwas matched what dynon does first. this will probably lead to a price reduction on both of their products until the minimum profit point is found. this could be a long and interesting market fight, with the consumer being the winner in the end. they are both very good companies that are really in tune with their market. garmin has the edge in the certified market now because of their dealer network being in place, but dynon will hit hard and fast. one thing that sets them apart is their repair policies, garmin charges a flat rate to fix something, good for you if it is a total motherboard replacement, not to good if its a simple part. dynon is more traditional repair policy.

For me the choice is easy (assuming I'm buying either). The Dynon has an STC for Cessna and Piper aircraft only. I fly a Mooney. For me the Dynon is not even an option, and when I asked them about that at OSH they simply told me that the EAA holds the STC and that they would work on expanding it based on requests from aircraft owners. I don't wanna sit around and wait for every other mooney owner to beg the EAA to pay attention to us. I'd rather just buy a product from a company that thought of us in the first place.

The problem here isn't Garmin, it's the massive amount of time and money that Garmin has to go through to get the STC. This isn't experimental instrumentation anymore, it's now certified. Along with that certification comes a huge bill due to all the steps Garmin had to go through to get there. It makes perfect sense that they are going to try and recoup that investment via a higher price tag. If you want to be upset about it, be upset with the FAA for not making the certification process simpler. I'm sure Garmin would rather undercut their competition and sell a ton of units, but only if they can still make money doing so.

Does anybody know what tests are required for certification, is this documented somewhere?

crazy isn't it. You would think that one way the FAA could make GA safer is buy making the STC process inexpensive.

Heard at the show that Dynon has been approved for Mooneys. Can't say much about the veracity.

crazy isn't it. You would think that one way the FAA could make GA safer is buy making the STC process inexpensive.
that is whatthese stc's are about. they were done using a new streamlined process. i am sure it is still expensive and cumbersome, but easier and less costly than the old system. it is a step in the right direction.

bob

that is whatthese stc's are about. they were done using a new streamlined process. i am sure it is still expensive and cumbersome, but easier and less costly than the old system. it is a step in the right direction.

bob

That's great to hear. The more safety equipment GA has the better.

bob

I sat in on the forum with the EAA and Dynon where they discussed the STC of the Dynon box. Essentially, a year or two ago the FAA released a policy permitting the replacement of vacuum-driven attitude indicators with electric ones. It's memorialized in Policy Statement PS-ACE-23-08 (http://download.aopa.org/advocacy/PS-ACE-23-08.pdf?_ga=1.65535790.1038683628.1391177569). With the FAA's guidance (and at the FAA's urging, per EAA), EAA, Dynon and Garmin were able to shoe-horn the EFIS-type attitude indicator in under this policy, under the guise that legally it's nothing more than an attitude indicator. This is why the HSI functionality isn't there (yet). So when evaluating for approval, the FAA didn't look at the D10A or the G5 as an "EFIS" or a "glass cockpit," it looked at them as an "electronic attitude indicator," which presumably made approval easier.

the biggest thing about these stc's is that these units are not TSO'ed, not proven to meet TSO, or PMA'ed. that is a big step forward.

bob

Back