Garmin Avionics For Experimentals

Since more experimentals are being produced than certified planes this only makes sense for the stock holders, I just wonder what took so long.

Garmin is the standard by which all other are measured.

Makes experimentals all the more attractive. Some pretty aggressive pricing for Garmin.

Since more experimentals are being produced than certified planes this only makes sense for the stock holders, I just wonder what took so long.

Garmin is the standard by which all other are measured.

EAA claims approx 1000 new experimental certificates per year. GAMA claims 2,120 certifieds delivered in 2012, and I don't think that GAMA number is inclusive of all certified planes, just GA planes. Not to mention the existing certified fleet of potential Garmin buyers that already exists is much larger. the profit margin on the certified fleet is higher on a per-plane basis too.

They'll make some money but, I'm not rushing to dump my portfolio into Garmin stock based on it.

I'm reconsidering the Dynon skieview in favor of this garmin for my Glasair III. An all garmin panel is attractive. You just know it will all work together.

EAA claims approx 1000 new experimental certificates per year. GAMA claims 2,120 certifieds delivered in 2012, and I don't think that GAMA number is inclusive of all certified planes, just GA planes. Not to mention the existing certified fleet of potential Garmin buyers that already exists is much larger. the profit margin on the certified fleet is higher on a per-plane basis too.

They'll make some money but, I'm not rushing to dump my portfolio into Garmin stock based on it.

Even with your numbers garmin was missing most of the 1/3 of the business that is experimental. As a business man I wouldn't want to miss 1/3 of my potential sales!

Even with your numbers garmin was missing most of the 1/3 of the business that is experimental. As a business man I wouldn't want to miss 1/3 of my potential sales!

Considering a flight deck software update can be over $75,000, I doubt they were missing out on 1/3 in potential sales. My guess is they've been running the numbers and are positioning themselves for future profits as the number of flying experimental airframes grow.

Last edited:
I'd been looking at Dynon and AFS for my panel. I liked the Garmin G3X, but it lacked some of the things I really wanted and would have been considerably more expensive than either of the others.

Neither of those two things is true any more... so I would bet there will be a lot of people looking seriously at Garmin that weren't before. I know I am. Fortunately I'm a year or two out from needing to make any decisions, so I can see how things shape up in the mean time.

Some of the pricing is uncharacteristically reasonable. Like their heated pitot/AOA, for example.

Considering a flight deck software update can be over $75,000, I doubt they were missing out on 1/3 in potential sales. My guess is they've been running the numbers and are positioning themselves for future profits as the number of flying experimental airframes grow.

Plus the market for avionics upgrades to all the experimental aircraft out there already.

I need 10" screen and am not sure Garmin is affordable in that format.

Back